Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2013, 09:27 AM

32,643 posts, read 48,015,234 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebunny View Post
.......... Wondering, idle curiosity now, what happens if the driver has no clue as to the license plate...
They really don't care whether or not you know your license plate number. They are looking for nervous behavior that might indicate all is not what it seems. They also need to stall long enough for the computer to come up with any wants or warrants that might be outstanding on anyone in your car.

Surely, you travel with your car registration and insurance card in your car? So you have proof that the car is yours and not purchased or stolen in Canada? Then don't worry about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2013, 10:46 AM

6,987 posts, read 21,925,882 times
Canadian Citizen;

Informative post.....tried to REP you but was refused.

Two cousins were Police officers. ...one a city officer and his brother a Provincial officer both in Ontario.

Respect your Military service in Canada as I was a former member of the Reserve Army......(R.H.L.I.) Royal Hamilton Light Infantry 1945-47.

Old 07-07-2013, 11:24 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,273,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
The Customs and Immigration officers can ask you anything they want to about any subject at all. Keep in mind that they do not have to allow you to enter the USA, even if you are a USA citizen..

Custom officials like to ask questions that are "off the wall" to see what answers they get. One US officer would occasionally ask "What kind of drugs are you bringing back from Canada?" especially to the little old ladies. And on more than one occasion, he got the response, "Only a couple of joints."

In most cases, they are trying to get the person off the pat answers.

I have always found that specific, honest questions to all answers works well. For example, when the C$ was trading at a 30% discount to the US$, we used to shop in Windsor, ON for all of our Christmas shopping. Telling the officer that you were heading over to Devonshire Mall for the day worked better than just saying you are going shopping.

Old 07-07-2013, 11:39 AM

2,294 posts, read 3,428,702 times
I've had a few problems with the crossing at Sault Ste. Marie, it mostly seems to be centered around my greencard, a document issued to me by the US government but apparently unknown to some border guards, despite having now been a perm resident for 10 years I still get asked where I got the card, where I live, where I work, what I'm doing in the US and the last time my husbands eye colour ! I have a very dear friend who lives in the Soo Canada but don't get to see her too often as we are both tired of the crossing issues on the US side.

Old 07-07-2013, 12:05 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,392,941 times
Quote:
They really don't care whether or not you know your license plate number. They are looking for nervous behavior that might indicate all is not what it seems. They also need to stall long enough for the computer to come up with any wants or warrants that might be outstanding on anyone in your car.

Surely, you travel with your car registration and insurance card in your car? So you have proof that the car is yours and not purchased or stolen in Canada? Then don't worry about it.
Of course I have the registration and insurance in the car. Can't honestly think of where else I would put it. LOL

I was just reading this and laughing thinking that if I were asked that question, I would have no clue.

Old 07-07-2013, 12:08 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,392,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Alaska View Post
I've had a few problems with the crossing at Sault Ste. Marie, it mostly seems to be centered around my greencard, a document issued to me by the US government but apparently unknown to some border guards, despite having now been a perm resident for 10 years I still get asked where I got the card, where I live, where I work, what I'm doing in the US and the last time my husbands eye colour ! I have a very dear friend who lives in the Soo Canada but don't get to see her too often as we are both tired of the crossing issues on the US side.
I have heard the US side is a pain. I have never had issues coming back in (have had a few odd ones in other countries) however I am tired and it is the end of my trio and have always figured answering the questions makes it go faster whereas the way in, I am excited about going somewhere exciting. But we are going to France and the UK for almost 3 weeks in September...will be interesting to see what side is harder...going to pay attention this time...

Old 07-07-2013, 01:15 PM

1,199 posts, read 2,044,051 times
I've always had problems, generally because I travel alone. Both sides seem to think anyone traveling alone, especially for just one day, is a drug dealer. I'm sure it frustrates the BP agents mightily to put me in a windowless room for 20 minutes, search for warrants, search the car, and find that I'm squeaky clean.

The BP doesn't seem geographically bright either. Just because my identification says "Kansas" doesn't mean I drove 24 straight hours to be with you today.

Old 07-07-2013, 02:59 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,257,558 times
My Daddy always told me to say Yes Sir and No Sir to any police officer. It has always worked for me and yes, I have crossed the US borders several times.
The Canadian in the video was a smart ass as well as an idiot. He got to participate in a valuable learning experience.

Old 07-07-2013, 03:18 PM

2,287 posts, read 2,587,630 times
Quote:
The Customs and Immigration officers can ask you anything they want to about any subject at all. Keep in mind that they do not have to allow you to enter the USA, even if you are a USA citizen.

They can not remove you from the States if you are a citizen, but they can refuse to admit you into the States.
Incorrect, as a US Citizen you always have the right to re-enter the country. They can toss you in holding, make your life miserable with questions etc., but they cannot keep you out of the country.

Old 07-07-2013, 05:30 PM

2,869 posts, read 4,451,010 times
the bunny:

It will prompt a few more questions.

While I agree that most people can't remember their plate number.............Most of them DO know their date of birth, and year of birth. Stumbling over that would get my attention, if I was asking the questions.

One of the cultural differences between Canadians and Americans , is the way that they express their birth date. Canadians say the month as August, while Americans string it all together as numbers, like 150846, for 15th of August, in 1946, which happens to be my DOB. The last letter of the alphabet is another `tell tale point `as Americans pronounce it as ZEE, and Canadians say it as ZED.

When I was in the Canadian Forces, I had to write my 9 digit social insurance number on report forms, every day, so I have no problem remembering it, and I have also have memorised my Ontario Driver's license number, and my passport number..........but thats just me.

Investigative questions are designed to see if the facts stay the same or if they change, and to what degree they change, over time.

Persons who are lying usually have small "tells " that can be read, if you know what to look for. Looking down and away, is sometimes an indicator of evasion or lying. That's why border agents will ask persons to take off their sunglasses, and put down the rear windows so they can see rear seat passengers better.

Jim B.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel