Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2013, 06:49 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,834,936 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
A cruise is a good idea for a multi-generational vacation as they have activities for all different age groups.
Provided any kids are of a certain age and there aren't going to be issues with a small room. If you have a 2 year old that goes to sleep around 8 or so, that's a long time to be in the room with him unless you go to sleep then also.

Of course, if you're one of those parents whose 2 year old stays up until 10 or 11, then whatevs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2013, 08:21 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,085,436 times
Wow, more great ideas. I love the idea of Puerto Rico. I have been daydreaming of going with the family to a beach and would love to bring them to Cancun, but with all the bad press Mexico has gotten over the last couple of years, I really don't feel comfortable going with kids. Puerto Rico sounds like a great idea! A cruise is probably ideal for families, but I get seasick so not a good option for me unfortunately. Great tips here about dealing with kids! As it is, DH and I are completely fine with staying in with the kids in the evening, and letting DS and DIL go out. I am trying to think of some fun inside activities to do with the boys in case it rains, or just in case we have some downtime.

Old 07-25-2013, 12:38 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christina0001 View Post
... I am trying to think of some fun inside activities to do with the boys in case it rains, or just in case we have some downtime.

COOKING!

Finger Painting and building with wooden blocks
. (Make a nice set with ramps and tunnels for $20, or FREE if you stop by a building site and pick up the scraps). They are always good for FIREWOOD later

Popsicle sticks and glue will keep them busy. BUTTONS (unless too small)!
Exercise ball (balancing)
Nerf games
puzzles
folding paper shapes
collage art (go to thrift store and get National Geographics)

reading, reading, and more reading (get some classic kids books from Garage Sale)
Make a movie for mom and dad.
Write / draw a book
Do an indoor beach party (minus the sand...) Bring a Hula Movie and some grass skirts
Build tents
Get big cardboard boxes from appliance store (They keep kids busy for months!! we made Box Villages with all kinds of different 'houses'.) Good training for 'Remodeling' too Add some new windows / doors every few days. Boxes were by FAR the best used 'toys' for toddlers (and they BURN too! good for bon-fire) And a good time to teach the kids how to use a fire extinguisher.

Get crazy, That's what grandparents are for! Parents are BORING...

Definitely do the international stuff EVERY yr. Preferably go live somewhere with the locals for a few months.

Old 07-26-2013, 07:17 PM

WOW what great ideas!!! Thank you!!!

Old 07-27-2013, 10:29 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
I'm hoping to start a family tradition of going someplace together once a year. This would be DH and I, DH's son and daughter-in-law (in their early 20s), and their two toddlers.

I've done some online research on the topic of multigenerational travel and I've found plenty of articles indicating this is pretty common, but not really any advice or tips. I would think this sort of travel could present plenty of challenges. For our group, we've got four adults who are used to doing their own thing, and we've got three sets of different age groups and interests. Also being that we are a blended family, I'm thinking that could add another challenging aspect to things.

So DH and I have been planning on a weekend getaway for all six of us. We are going to talk with DS and DIL today about it. We're going to offer to pay for the whole thing; these young parents don't have much extra cash. We're thinking of getting a 2 bedroom suite with a kitchen (the toddlers can sleep in the living room). We've got a couple of activities in mind that we'd like to do with all of us, and we were going to offer to watch the little ones Saturday night so DS and DIL can go out on the town if they want some alone time.

Does anyone else travel with multiple generations? I would love to hear some insight from those who are experienced. Thanks for reading!
We travel as a multi-generation quite often and usually have great time: every year we do a mother/daughter weekend. That would be my 2 granddaughters, their mom and me; so it is 3 generations. We usually use a time share, travel close to home and just find a place to relax. We like to find someplace that has either good spas, beaches, shopping or even gambling. In our case, we all live pretty close together, so travel isn't an issue. We have done Branson, Hot Springs and Eureka Springs. We like the idea of the time share because it is really easier, with the large crowd to cook some meals in the condo. We have done the same thing in Vegas. We have spent a week, all 3 generations and had a great time. We split up the cooking, if we decide to eat in the condo and we split up purchasing the food as well. When it is just the weekend trip and the 3 generations: we eat out of order in one night, one of us brings the food for dinner and cooks it one night, 1 brings appetizers and the other 2 plan, bring the food and cook breakfast one morning. The other morning we just eat out or do whatever.

Then we also like to do a 4 generation trip every year: Again, we use either a time share with 2 bedrooms and get 2 units or we do a cruise. The cruise works great as we can all do our own thing and yet, still spend time as a family when and if we want. Of course having toddlers makes cruising a little more challenging. We did one a few years ago when our great granddaughter was just under 4. Except for one daughter wanting to micro manage everything, it works great. The little loved the child care center, we did some port tours as a family and some on our own and we split up dining as well: eating together some nights and separately other nights.

Hope this helps, I know you can have a great time and I wouldn't exchange our multi family vacations for anything. We actually on the last cruise one had 13 of us, including our foster daughter and her partner. I would say, it might have been a few people too many because of our micro managing daughter, but we still had fun.

As for challenges, yes, there are some; like I mentioned, our younger daughter wanted to over plan. When toddlers are involved there has to be an understanding about night time activities and who is responsible for taking care of the kids.

Old 07-27-2013, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Wow, more great ideas. I love the idea of Puerto Rico. I have been daydreaming of going with the family to a beach and would love to bring them to Cancun, but with all the bad press Mexico has gotten over the last couple of years, I really don't feel comfortable going with kids. Puerto Rico sounds like a great idea! A cruise is probably ideal for families, but I get seasick so not a good option for me unfortunately. Great tips here about dealing with kids! As it is, DH and I are completely fine with staying in with the kids in the evening, and letting DS and DIL go out. I am trying to think of some fun inside activities to do with the boys in case it rains, or just in case we have some downtime.
Cancun, Cozumel, and Cabo are pretty safe but I know how you feel. My problem with Mexico, because of all the concerns and crookedness, I prefer not to give them my money: sad but true. As for San Juan, the beaches are not that great. I guess that isn't a huge issue though. I would check into maybe even an AI, if you can't use a time share and don't want to do the cruise thing. Already pointed out, probably the biggest problem with cruising and kids under about 3 is the sleeping situation. It can get a little crowded and yes, bedtime can become an issue. I would, however think about it when the kids are just a little older. There are not many multi vacation ideas that work better.

Old 07-27-2013, 06:38 PM

nmnita, your family sounds like so much fun!!!

Old 07-28-2013, 11:04 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Resorts are a great Idea (as are many time shares). Especially if kids are young and interested in Swimming pools with 'swim-up-bar / soda fountain' and mutilple water slides)

Some we have enjoyed (Westin in Palm Desert, Hot Springs in Thermopolis WY, St Pete, FL, Lang Kawi Malaysia, Bali, Thailand)

As kids age, do the travel thing, especially if you are a grandparent. Consider renting a barge for a few weeks in Europe. It may come equipped with bikes, and you and kids can ride along canal between moorings.

Old 07-28-2013, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Resorts are a great Idea (as are many time shares). Especially if kids are young and interested in Swimming pools with 'swim-up-bar / soda fountain' and mutilple water slides)

Some we have enjoyed (Westin in Palm Desert, Hot Springs in Thermopolis WY, St Pete, FL, Lang Kawi Malaysia, Bali, Thailand)

As kids age, do the travel thing, especially if you are a grandparent. Consider renting a barge for a few weeks in Europe. It may come equipped with bikes, and you and kids can ride along canal between moorings.
The barge thing sounds great but I think the cost, just transportation alone might be out of the price range for many families. I think staying in the western hemisphere is a little more practical.

Old 07-28-2013, 02:28 PM

Quote:
nmnita, your family sounds like so much fun!!!
We do feel really lucky, we are blessed with absolutely super kids. I don't know what we did right, but something worked and they have great kids as well. I will add though, we have our ups and downs, rarely downs. I can honestly say we never really even have a fight. Well I take that back; a few Christmases ago when granddaughter and I had both slightly over indulged on wine we got into a heated discussion on religion. We now, do not talk about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel