Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2013, 01:32 PM

6 posts, read 13,444 times

Advertisements

When I travel by plane I always ask for the window seat so I can look down at the scene. The funny thing is when I am not looking out the window I make a point to look around the plane and see what everyone else is doing, and few people who are sitting at the window seat are looking outside. I just don't understand this at all.

What a opportunity we have to look out at the earth from so high up and get a completely different perspective than what we see from the ground. And there is so much to see from the air. Maybe our home and neighborhood, scenic snow capped mountains, forests, rock formations, cities (like Washington DC, San Francisco or NYC)

I can see not looking out if there is haze or clouds or we are too high to see something but what about when we circle the city before landing? What up with this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2013, 01:45 PM

454 posts, read 793,298 times
i love the view outside! the varying cloud patterns, flying into a sunset when everything is red and gold.... and as you are nearing final approach to land, the view below with rivers, highways... especially at night; with all the glittering lights of the city! i enjoy it all

Old 08-08-2013, 02:19 PM

4,095 posts, read 5,543,753 times
I do enjoy the view and like a window seat on short flights. On long flights, which are most of mine, I must sit in the aisle as I like to get up whenever I want without climbing over anyone. Hubby likes the window on all flights.

Old 08-08-2013, 02:26 PM

1,846 posts, read 4,740,226 times
I enjoy the scene looking out of the plane also. I have noticed that most people are too absorbed in whatever to take in the sights

Old 08-08-2013, 02:35 PM

4,095 posts, read 5,543,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianjb View Post
I enjoy the scene looking out of the plane also. I have noticed that most people are too absorbed in whatever to take in the sights
On a 14 hour flight when most of the view consists of clouds or dark sky, it gets kind of boring. Or when it's a few thousand miles of nothing but ocean. I will say a sunrise or sunset from a plane window can be really stunning.

Old 08-08-2013, 02:52 PM

5,718 posts, read 7,252,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by a_jobhunter View Post
When I travel by plane I always ask for the window seat so I can look down at the scene.

What a opportunity we have to look out at the earth from so high up and get a completely different perspective than what we see from the ground.

Totally agree. I always try to get a window seat when I fly (NOT over the wing, and preferably as far aft as possible).

I'd really like it if there were some kind of display in the cabin with a map showing the plane's position so I'd have a better idea of what I was looking at.

Old 08-08-2013, 02:58 PM

10,350 posts, read 13,922,565 times
I guess I'm pretty indifferent to the view when we're actually flying but when we land I do like to look at the city. Landing in LAX I remember trying to see if I could spot the Hollywood sign.

Old 08-08-2013, 03:21 PM

8,603 posts, read 14,875,263 times
Depends on where I'm flying. Miles and miles of endless prairie and farmland is kinda boring, but flying above the Rockies is awesome.

Old 08-08-2013, 04:30 PM

3,262 posts, read 4,996,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P47P47 View Post
I'd really like it if there were some kind of display in the cabin with a map showing the plane's position so I'd have a better idea of what I was looking at.
This. I'm always trying to figure out, what river is this? what city is this?

Old 08-08-2013, 04:40 PM

8,603 posts, read 14,875,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P47P47 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by WellShoneMoon View Post
This. I'm always trying to figure out, what river is this? what city is this?
If you're on a plane with in-flight internet (like Go-Go) you can use Flightaware.com or the FlightAware app to find a pretty close approximation of your location. From there you can use Google Maps to get the rest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel