Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2014, 12:47 PM

3,379 posts, read 5,533,072 times

Advertisements

Tell about some of your most unexpected scenarios you've experienced through travelling.

For example, I saw someone with an Andorra passport once. Granted, this was in BCN airport...but still.

This January I was flying back home from Madrid to Toronto. The airport was basically empty as it was about 5AM. As I was walking towards my gate, I saw one single man sitting at a row of chairs. As I got closer I saw the man make a 'no way' kind of face. Turns out, it was an Australian guy I met and hung out with lots in a hostel in Tulum, Mexico last April. He still hadn't returned home and was on his way to Thailand for a month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2014, 02:06 PM

7,487 posts, read 8,000,696 times
Once when taking Super Shuttle to get from Washington DC to Baltimore I got to talking to another passenger in the van. Turns out she was a co-worker of my sister's back on the West Coast.

Old 04-30-2014, 04:17 PM

6,908 posts, read 7,663,963 times
I once saw someone I knew, randomly on a beach in Florida a few years ago.

Old 05-01-2014, 01:01 AM

2,563 posts, read 3,680,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Mutt View Post
Once when taking Super Shuttle to get from Washington DC to Baltimore I got to talking to another passenger in the van. Turns out she was a co-worker of my sister's back on the West Coast.
One time I started out in Bangkok, changed planes in Tokyo, changed planes again in Minneapolis, then flew to DC, and then took a SuperShuttle home. One of the other passengers in the SuperShuttle van was on the same plane I flew on out of Bangkok.

Old 05-01-2014, 05:43 AM

43,619 posts, read 44,346,965 times
Well I don't remember any of my own. But some cousins of mine encountered distant relatives of theirs by chance when changing flights at an airport in town that none of lived in and these people hadn't been in contact for many years.

Old 05-01-2014, 08:12 AM

1,209 posts, read 2,418,869 times
I saw my boss going to Vegas at a connecting flight in Houston. She said she was going to a "convention"

Old 05-01-2014, 10:12 AM

1,365 posts, read 1,883,335 times
A few years ago, I decided to go travel around Honduras for a while. I had found local people to stay with via couchsurfing.org, and when I arrived into one particular city I had a bit of time to kill before meeting my host. I decided to go hang out at a random bar that was mentioned in my guidebook while I waited for her to get off work. I met a small contingent of Americans who were employed teaching English at a nearby school—a bit of a coincidence, but not too surprising, as I think a lot of expats hang out at that bar. We got to chatting, and it turned out that they knew the woman I was going to stay with, and her teenage sister was in some of their classes. Now I should mention that this was a city of 200,000 plus inhabitants, so it’s not as though everyone there knows everyone else. Weird, right? Well, that’s not even the strangest part! One of the teachers was from Indiana, but his family went camping every year in a state park a few miles from my teeny-tiny Minnesota hometown! And for the record, I'm not talking about a park that is nationally--or even regionally--famous. I am talking about the kind of place where the local girl scouts and church youth groups would go to camp out and that's about it.

I’ve had other weird coincidences while traveling, but that one takes the cake!

Old 05-01-2014, 11:43 AM

2,453 posts, read 3,603,472 times
A group of relatives from Colorado went to Florida for a funeral. While walking on the beach my landscaper brother-in-law saw a woman who walks her dog daily past a property he frequently tends to in Colorado. We thought he was lying but apparently not.

Old 05-01-2014, 02:47 PM

231 posts, read 462,294 times
I was in Playa del Carmen, Mexico for a music festival this past January, and after checking into a few places on Facebook, a girl from Perth, Australia whom I shared a hostel and partied with in Prague, Cz two years prior realized we were in the same town, and contacted me. We later met up for dinner that night.

Old 05-01-2014, 11:01 PM

3,282 posts, read 3,790,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityScape0322 View Post
I was in Playa del Carmen, Mexico for a music festival this past January, and after checking into a few places on Facebook, a girl from Perth, Australia whom I shared a hostel and partied with in Prague, Cz two years prior realized we were in the same town, and contacted me. We later met up for dinner that night.
That is crazy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel