Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2013, 08:42 AM

13,366 posts, read 28,597,609 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
Many times the OP is looking for confirmation on their original ideas. I hope this is not the case and they take the advice from those posters (myself included) who tried to steer them away from the I95 NY/DC route which most of us agree is horrible.

This is by far the best route as posted by old_cold

Depending on what's going on construction-wise right now in Mass, you could avoid all the big city hassle, bridges, tunnels by taking I-84 at Hartford over to I-81 in Pennsylvania. That might add an hour or hour and 1/2 but if taking 3 days, shouldn't matter too much
yep it is had totally forgot about the I84 to I81 route
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2013, 08:51 AM

23,154 posts, read 26,044,216 times
I am actually taking that route this weekend....there appears to be some construction around Scranton and Harrisburg but should not be a problem at all on the weekend.

Old 09-25-2013, 09:00 AM

8,073 posts, read 9,988,757 times
Have not had time to read through this entire thread, but you will tear your hair out (and your wallet) if you try to take I-95 all the way from New England to Florida. Broadly speaking, take the Pike out to 84/86, to I-81 South. Then take 77 or 26 or similar route south. Couple more miles. A LOT less hours and headaches. Stay off of 95 until you get well south.....past DC for sure, maybe even Richmond.

Old 09-25-2013, 11:31 AM

1,448 posts, read 2,874,888 times
If you're leaving Sunday, you won't have any problems. It will be smooth sailing (barring of course accidents and construction), and there is no need to leave at 2AM to avoid "rush hour." There is no rush hour on weekends, that term only applies to work days.

Good luck and enjoy the trip!

And to the other posters, I suggest you listen to the OP, she states specifically that she is not looking for alternate routes or to go fastest, just for advice on how to plan for her selected route. Speaking as a female myself who has traveled multiple different routes up and down (and driven all over the country), but who has a lot of friends who don't do a lot of road tripping or long highway driving and might be similarly nervous on such a trip: choosing I-95 for the whole route is very simple and safe, and on a Sunday will not cause gridlock worker-related traffic to worry about. There are other routes that are faster or more scenic, but if you don't want to switch lanes a lot or have to remember different directions or watch for road signs, taking 95 all the way will get you there without a problem so you can just sit back and enjoy your music. On a Sunday you can leave when you want to, and stop when you feel like it (especially after the Philly area, or even better after D.C. so there's no Monday rush hour to slow you down) with no problem.

Old 09-25-2013, 12:30 PM

13,366 posts, read 28,597,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarfishKey View Post
If you're leaving Sunday, you won't have any problems. It will be smooth sailing (barring of course accidents and construction), and there is no need to leave at 2AM to avoid "rush hour." There is no rush hour on weekends, that term only applies to work days.

Good luck and enjoy the trip!

And to the other posters, I suggest you listen to the OP, she states specifically that she is not looking for alternate routes or to go fastest, just for advice on how to plan for her selected route. Speaking as a female myself who has traveled multiple different routes up and down (and driven all over the country), but who has a lot of friends who don't do a lot of road tripping or long highway driving and might be similarly nervous on such a trip: choosing I-95 for the whole route is very simple and safe, and on a Sunday will not cause gridlock worker-related traffic to worry about. There are other routes that are faster or more scenic, but if you don't want to switch lanes a lot or have to remember different directions or watch for road signs, taking 95 all the way will get you there without a problem so you can just sit back and enjoy your music. On a Sunday you can leave when you want to, and stop when you feel like it (especially after the Philly area, or even better after D.C. so there's no Monday rush hour to slow you down) with no problem.
No where in her post does she state that so no need to scold us Many times through helpful posts people will alternate their route as they really had no idea there was another way too go. We were only offering alternatives not demanding she heed them.
No need for high horses

O/P after you are settled let us know how the trip was

Last edited by njkate; 09-25-2013 at 12:47 PM..

Old 09-25-2013, 09:35 PM

6 posts, read 8,387 times
Thank you ALL so much !!!! I feel more at ease..And yes I will report back when I have made it to my destination

Old 09-25-2013, 09:54 PM

6,888 posts, read 22,424,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
Have not had time to read through this entire thread, but you will tear your hair out (and your wallet) if you try to take I-95 all the way from New England to Florida. Broadly speaking, take the Pike out to 84/86, to I-81 South. Then take 77 or 26 or similar route south. Couple more miles. A LOT less hours and headaches. Stay off of 95 until you get well south.....past DC for sure, maybe even Richmond.
If you're looking for an easier route, I'd choose 26 over 77 to avoid Charlotte traffic.

Old 09-29-2013, 04:23 PM

1,107 posts, read 1,442,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyfalls View Post
I am moving to the Florida Keys from Easthampton Mass and am leaving Sunday Sept 30th at 2 am. I will be taking I-95 all the way. Does anyone know if I will beat any "rush hour" traffic? I have NEVER driven alone on a long trip as this will be and would like to be prepared...
I moved to Tampa from Massachusetts myself (East Longmeadow!) It all depends on what time you leave. The city that had the most traffic of course was NYC. Going through DC/Baltimore wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be. Then again though it was on a Sat or Sun that I went through there. Once you are past there, smooth sailing! Miami area of course will be very busy, no matter what time of day it seems. A lot of population around the Broward /Palm Beach/Miami-Dade Counties.

For myself from EL to Tampa, it was about 18-20 hrs of just driving. We stopped overnight in Rocky Mount, NC which is right about the half way point. After Richmond and driving through NC-GA the drive is QUITE boring. Just a heads up.

South of the Border is a common stop (on the NC/SC border) very overrated, but one of those stops you always hear about! You'll start seeing signs I believe in northern NC!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel