U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2013, 02:16 PM

1,415 posts, read 3,025,132 times

Advertisements

HI all.im planning a trip next year to visit family in Everett WA im from NJ so we will be flying, we have six free days to do whatever so we were thinking of driving from Everett to the Redwood Forest in CA,one of the things we wanted to do while there was visit the coast of Washington so we figured we could do that on he way to the Redwoods, my question is what should we expect on the drive and what else is along the way if anyone knows.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2013, 04:28 PM

895 posts, read 2,548,833 times
Your coming to visit one of our most favorites parts of far northern Ca..
we just drove home to Salem Or from the SF bay area on 101..Here is my
thoughts on this..
Take 101 all the way down from Astoria Or and enjoy the Oregon Coast..Its neat and so pretty..
Make Crescent City Ca your base..From there you about a hour north of the beginnings of the redwoods.,
You can look forward to seeing deer and elk, the tree's are beautiful and more..There is an overlook
on the north end of the Klamath River (not sure of the name) but its up high and you can see both ways for
ever..Bring jackets and field glasses and camera's ..I would contact the Crescent City Chamber for information
on what to see and do..Its a neat trip and one that will go in your memory books..
Eureka on the south end of the redwoods a city worth seeing too..
Enjoy.

Old 09-26-2013, 12:14 PM

8,246 posts, read 11,107,651 times
Definitely come to Eureka and definitely check out the Trees of Mystery just south of Crescent City. The world's greatest tourist trap but a good one. The tram ride and view from the top are outstanding. Down and back in three days each way is going to be rushed.

Old 09-27-2013, 07:40 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,546 posts, read 39,924,861 times
check out some past threads. with similar route.

What is the most beautiful possible drive from LA to Seattle?
Planning a Trip in Washington
Two Week Road Trip: What are the "must sees" in Seattle and Washington?
Road trip to Seattle to San francisco

Personally... I would skip WA coast, and go see Mt Rainier and Mt St Helens, then head to the OR coast, (Via Longview, WA / HWY 30) go south to redwoods (be sure to eat / visit Samoa Cookhouse ) , head east on California Motorcycle Roads & Rides - Best California motorcycle routes for planning great California motorcycle trips | Motorcycle Roads and Rides | MotorcycleRoads.com to Lassen NP, then back up north through Crater Lake, Diamond Lake, Bend, OR to The Dalles, OR, then west to Portland through the Columbia River Gorge National Scenic Area and back to SEA. (at night... since you already saw that stretch while southbound).

Wa Coast is quite inaccessible in most areas (NA Reservation land in the BEST areas)

http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/byways/

North OR coast / South Oregon Coast / Crater Lake / Lassen / Redwoods / St Helens (or at least the Visitor's Center at Castle Rock and I-5) and Rainier, are NOT to be missed. You will get a lot of 'Coastal rain forest' if you hike in redwoods (Similar to Olympic Rain Forest). Olympic Peninsula is worth a few days IF you have the time... but it is a lot of driving for the few view points if you are time constrained. Best to do a 6 day NW WA trip and see San Juans and Vancouver Island, as well as Oly Pen. (which is another option). You can add North Cascades and Vancouver BC if you need to fill out the week. or... you may have done this on an earlier trip...

Old 09-28-2013, 09:30 PM

963 posts, read 1,523,203 times
I've driven those Redwood highways (199? 99?) through northwestern California. Take it slowly. Some of those large trees are flush against the road. You don't want to drift and turn your car into a crushed soda can.

I actually used Brookings, Oregon and Grants Pass, Oregon over as a base for various adventures up there, but I wasn't going too far south into California.

Old 09-28-2013, 10:53 PM

2,533 posts, read 3,954,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deb8997 View Post
HI all.im planning a trip next year to visit family in Everett WA im from NJ so we will be flying, we have six free days to do whatever so we were thinking of driving from Everett to the Redwood Forest in CA,one of the things we wanted to do while there was visit the coast of Washington so we figured we could do that on he way to the Redwoods, my question is what should we expect on the drive and what else is along the way if anyone knows.
6 days isn't enough time to see all there is to see in WA let alone drive to CA. I'm bringing this up because my parents came from NY and visited for 2 weeks in July... they had talked about wanting to see Vancouver while they were here but never got to it because they were busy doing everything else around here.

Some suggestions:

Mt. Rainier
Mt. St. Helens
Crystal Mountain gondola
Space Needle
Seattle downtown
Ballard Locks
Leavenworth

I've lived here for 2+ years and they wanted to see the coast too... so I took them to the Oregon coast. Then cut across to Portland, into the Columbia River Gorge, passed by Mt. Hood, then north into Eastern Washington before crossing back over Snoqualmie Pass on I-90 back to Seattle.

A 600 mile day and probably the only place on the planet where you can go from beaches to mountains... see 4 volcanoes (Hood, St. Helens, Adams, Rainier) then run into desert and sagebrush. It's pretty amazing how the landscape changes in such a short distance.

Something to think about... my parents also mentioned CA but are saving it for the next visit... along with Vancouver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post

Personally... I would skip WA coast, and go see Mt Rainier and Mt St Helens, then head to the OR coast, (Via Longview, WA / HWY 30) go south to redwoods (be sure to eat / visit Samoa Cookhouse ) , head east on California Motorcycle Roads & Rides - Best California motorcycle routes for planning great California motorcycle trips | Motorcycle Roads and Rides | MotorcycleRoads.com to Lassen NP, then back up north through Crater Lake, Diamond Lake, Bend, OR to The Dalles, OR, then west to Portland through the Columbia River Gorge National Scenic Area and back to SEA. (at night... since you already saw that stretch while southbound).
I'm glad we agree on skipping the WA coast... and yeah... the Gorge is worth the drive and then some.

Old 09-30-2013, 11:43 PM

1,458 posts, read 5,264,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamh View Post
snip / ...
Take 101 all the way down from Astoria Or and enjoy the Oregon Coast..Its neat and so pretty..
Make Crescent City Ca your base..From there you about a hour north of the beginnings of the redwoods.,
You can look forward to seeing deer and elk, the tree's are beautiful and more.. / snip
Actually, Crescent City is not so much an hour north of the beginning of the Coast Redwoods, but is among the beginning of the best of the Coast Redwoods. The largest known Coast Redwood is in the park adjacent to the town. Here is a photo I took of that tree earlier this year. That Jedediah Smith redwoods park can be accessed by Howland Hill Rd. and Hy. 199.

The other parks like 1/2 south, and 2 hours south, are definitely worth visiting too. Each one is a little different. I go about every 6 weeks.

Old 10-01-2013, 06:35 AM

1,415 posts, read 3,025,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kees View Post
6 days isn't enough time to see all there is to see in WA let alone drive to CA. I'm bringing this up because my parents came from NY and visited for 2 weeks in July... they had talked about wanting to see Vancouver while they were here but never got to it because they were busy doing everything else around here.

Some suggestions:

Mt. Rainier
Mt. St. Helens
Crystal Mountain gondola
Space Needle
Seattle downtown
Ballard Locks
Leavenworth

I've lived here for 2+ years and they wanted to see the coast too... so I took them to the Oregon coast. Then cut across to Portland, into the Columbia River Gorge, passed by Mt. Hood, then north into Eastern Washington before crossing back over Snoqualmie Pass on I-90 back to Seattle.

A 600 mile day and probably the only place on the planet where you can go from beaches to mountains... see 4 volcanoes (Hood, St. Helens, Adams, Rainier) then run into desert and sagebrush. It's pretty amazing how the landscape changes in such a short distance.

Something to think about... my parents also mentioned CA but are saving it for the next visit... along with Vancouver.

I'm glad we agree on skipping the WA coast... and yeah... the Gorge is worth the drive and then some.
thanks for the input.. I will consider this.. My sister told me the same thing about the Washington coast, and she said that the Oregon caves is a must see also. well I have year to plan and who knows by then may have a little bit more time too.

Old 10-03-2013, 11:31 AM

2,533 posts, read 3,954,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deb8997 View Post
thanks for the input.. I will consider this.. My sister told me the same thing about the Washington coast, and she said that the Oregon caves is a must see also. well I have year to plan and who knows by then may have a little bit more time too.
Caves or coast?

Speaking of caves...

Ape Cave - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Mt. St. Helens

Mt. Rainier

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel