Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2013, 05:10 AM

1,646 posts, read 3,485,987 times

Advertisements

I am going to Dublin next friday during 2 days and a half (3 nights) and I just have 4 or 5 days to prepare it as it was a birthday surprise.
I am not sure which things are there to visit (apart from Cathedral, Trinity College etc) so I am a bit lost with this planned (unplanned now) trip, my big questions are:

Transport Airport- city: best and cheap way? Mi hotel is in Parnell Square. More or less in the centre so I suppose we'll have easy transports?

Important places: Touristical or less touristical with charm, places you like or places you would visit if you wete there.

Things to eat/buy: Typical food or souvenir? what would you reccommend me?

Places nearby: If there is any village or charming/interesting place in the sorrounding area in case we have time to spare out of the city.

Where to eat: cheap if possible, places you like, we don't mind to eat house food or junk food, whatever.

Weather?: Meteo says between 9 and 14 degrees, not bad... how is it at the end of october?

That is all by now
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2013, 07:34 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,283,997 times
Quote:
Transport Airport- city: best and cheap way? Mi hotel is in Parnell Square. More or less in the centre so I suppose we'll have easy transports?
There's a shuttle bus you can catch from the airport to all important places in Dublin. Parnell Square is a major landmark and I can practically guarantee you the shuttle will go there. When you get off the plane walk to a booth with green signs in the airport. I believe it says "Traveler's Aid" or such. They'll tell you where the bus leaves. Explain its schedule. They'll tell you the fare too, which is considerably less than a taxi. Taking a taxi is expensive. However, understand this. Cab drivers realize the service they provide is expensive and they try to compensate for it by giving you a very personal tour of the city on your way to a destination. Most are extremely well informed. In my observation, they are highly ethical. You will pay the scheduled fare, but not a penny more.

Quote:
Important places: Touristical or less touristical with charm, places you like or places you would visit if you wete there.
1. Kilmainham Jail.

2. General Post Office Building

3.As you mentioned, Trinity College. Keep in mind you can and will want to see the Book of Kells there.

4. James Joyce statue

5. Molly Malone statue.

6. Grafton Street (a huge pedestrian mall with shops and restaurants)

7. Phoenix Park and the zoo.

8. Guinness distillery.

Quote:
Things to eat/buy: Typical food or souvenir? what would you reccommend me?
Eating in Ireland is focused around pubs. There are many good ones. Typical meals would include something like corned beef and potatoes washed down with a pint of Guinness. Keep in mind that food in Ireland is expensive. You won't find many bargains here. There are many places to buy souvenirs all throughout Dublin. Its more a question of what you want and what you are willing to pay.

Quote:
Places nearby: If there is any village or charming/interesting place in the sorrounding area in case we have time to spare out of the city.
You don't have much time. However, if I were to leave the city and take one trip it would probably be to the Blarney Castle where you can kiss the Blarney Stone. Guided day trips can be arranged at Dublin's main train stations. I arranged mine at Heuston Station which is close to Phoenix Park.

Quote:
Where to eat: cheap if possible, places you like, we don't mind to eat house food or junk food, whatever.
I would have liked "cheap food", but it is a rarity in Dublin. Even a sandwich, drink, and a bag of potato chips cost more than I imagined it could. However, maybe others have some suggestions. Perhaps, your hotel includes a free breakfast. That would help. Things can change in a few years, I found very little fast food or junk food. It was explained to me that the "pub owners" don't like the competition.

Weather?: Meteo says between 9 and 14 degrees, not bad... how is it at the end of october?

A little on the cold side and rainy.

Just a few tips. Bring a good pair or pairs of walking shoes and a rain coat. Dublin and most places are best seen on foot. The Irish people are very friendly and appreciate tourists. Ireland is one of the easiest foreign countries to visit. The airport in Dublin is set up so that you can go through American customs in Ireland. Than, when you land in the USA, there are no huge lines that you have to stand in. If you have any problems at all in Ireland, don't hesitate to ask questions. Bring your credit card and use it. You usually get the best exchange rate that way. Have fun on your trip!

Old 10-20-2013, 09:09 AM

3,607 posts, read 7,914,229 times
Have dinner in a pub, 'cause you want to go to the pubs anyway, and the food will be OK to very good, and not too expensive. Save money on lunch by visiting markets and buying bread, cheese, etc. If your hotel has optional breakfast consider buying it. Breakfast is usually good and substantial.

Old 10-20-2013, 03:05 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,734,844 times
Yes, Irish breakfasts are sometimes spectacular. The good b&b's charge the same as the lesser ones so if you have time, read some reviews. Most pubs serve an oxtail soup that is delicious. There are also a lot of takeout fish & chips places. Try signing up for a city tour at the tourist office; it will save you a lot of time. Be sure to see Dublin Castle and the area around the Clarence Hotel has a lot of good pubs, can't recalll the name of the neighborhood. You'll have a great time!

Old 10-21-2013, 04:36 AM

Thank you very much to you all for the advice, I make a list with those places and of course I will go to have a lunch in some pubs, although I don't drink too much alcohol I like eating a lot lol.

Someone told me about Malahide and Howth, are they nice? maybe to spend an afternoon around there as they are not too big.

I've been looking at couch companies to/from the airport- city centre: http://www.dublinairport.com/gns/to-...-or-coach.aspx do you know if one of them is especially cheaper?

Old 10-21-2013, 12:58 PM

2,982 posts, read 4,097,999 times
I would book a bust tour to Newgrange. It is a Neolithic passage tomb that is oldest building in Europe. In fact, it is older than the Great Pyramid of Giza. I used Mary Gibbons' tour when I went. Well worth it!

Newgrange & Hill of Tara Tour - Newgrange Tours by Mary Gibbons

Old 10-22-2013, 09:54 AM

I have made this planning map of a route

http://goo.gl/maps/7vb2q

Would you add or delete something?

I've heard that there are seals in Howth, what's that village like?

Old 10-22-2013, 10:26 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,178,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
...You don't have much time. However, if I were to leave the city and take one trip it would probably be to the Blarney Castle where you can kiss the Blarney Stone. Guided day trips can be arranged at Dublin's main train stations. I arranged mine at Heuston Station which is close to Phoenix Park....
This would be my only exception to your great post. It is a waste of too much time for too little return, go instead to see Newgrange, much closer and other ancient monuments abound there. Blarney is essentially just another castle, Newgrange is truly something special.

Old 04-28-2014, 08:37 AM

I am back and I made a kind of review:

Ladrona de gatos.: Irlanda, la isla verde.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel