Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2013, 07:35 AM

30 posts, read 90,222 times

Advertisements

You can make an argument that any incident is "isolated," because that's how they all begin. When the Nazis first came to power, abusive treatment of Jews and other minorities was "isolated" too. A few Jews beat up here, a few Jewish stores ransacked there, no big deal right? Then the years go by and events start to snowball and before you know it, you have the Holocaust. When Europeans first started enslaving Africans, it started slowly; there were a lot of "isolated" incidents involving the kidnapping of Africans. Next thing you know, they're shipping tens of thousands of slaves per year to the New World. So when, in the span of just a few months, in two separate incidents innocent men were literally kidnapped and tortured for hours by police officers in a failed attempt to locate drugs (which speaks to the larger problem in the United States of the failed War on Drugs and the for-profit prison industry), I start to open my eyes. When it's legal in Georgia for police to draw your blood if you refuse a breathalyzer test, I start to worry. When police in Texas can pull you over for speeding and conduct a cavity search on the side of the highway, that's a big problem in my eyes. When police in New York City can stop and frisk people for doing nothing wrong other than walking through a "high-crime area" (read: black part of town), that's a serious issue in my book. And those are just examples of police brutality and abuse of power that have happened in the past few months and that I have heard about. What about everything we don't hear or read about? The police are supposed to protect and serve, but more and more in America, they are nothing more than pawns of the prison industry, with orders to harass and arrest in order to fill quotas, regardless of whether or not crime actually gets prevented in the process. Pulling over, harassing, arresting, and transporting a man to a hospital to have him anally probed, subjected to multiple enemas, multiple X-rays, and a colonoscopy, all completely against his will, in the hopes of finding drugs because he was acting "suspicious" is not protecting and serving; it is acting like the Gestapo circa 1940. You scoff and casually shrug off these incidents, just as most Germans shrugged off beatings of Jews in the 1930s Germany. Come back in ten years and tell me again how great the United States is and how all of these incidents were just "isolated."

The United States, more than any other country on the planet, is controlled by billion-dollar corporations with two goals in mind: profit and power. And every single American politician, at least on the federal level, is concerned with one thing: getting re-elected. Isn't it interesting that Democrats in vulnerable electoral districts who previously enthusiastically supported and voted for the Affordable Care Act are suddenly up in arms over its flawed roll-out and demanding investigations? Yet Democrats from safe districts continue to support the flawed law and failed website, with no calls for investigations. Isn't it interesting how politicians' (from both parties mind you, the ACA example just came to mind first) stances on issues stem solely from whether or not such stances will help or hurt their re-election chances, as opposed to what will actually help the country? How come we are, by far, Israel's biggest supporter? Would it have anything to do with the fact that AIPAC is the largest lobbying firm in the United States, donating millions per year to various politicians? How about efforts to label GMO foods in California? Monsanto and its corporate peers spent millions to defeat the measure, while simultaneously claiming that GMO foods were completely safe for human consumption and the environment. Pretty interesting that their foods are completely safe, yet they refuse to label them as containing these totally safe GMOs. You'd think they'd want to advertise such a thing! While other countries are banning GMO cultivation and sale, the United States keeps moving right along, hand in hand with multi-billion dollar corporations who don't care one bit about human or environmental health. But they sure do love profits, and they sure do love getting politicians re-elected who support their pursuit of profits.

So no, you have no reason to roll your eyes when people like me want to move to other countries to escape the United States. As bad as New Zealand might be, do corporations control the entire government? As bad as Sweden might be, are there documented cases of police arresting people, bringing them to hospitals, and forcing them to get colonoscopies, enemas, and X-rays in a vain attempt to find drugs, and then the hospitals billing the VICTIMS for their ordeal? As bad as Canada might be, does it operate a multi-billion dollar surveillance network targeting its own citizens with no probable cause? As bad as Australia might be, is its healthcare system as big of a farce, injustice, and waste of money as America's? As bad as Uruguay might be, does it blindly support dictatorships (Saudi Arabia) and apartheid states (Israel) like America does, despite claiming we are the "leader of the free world?" As bad as Norway is, does it go around starting wars for no good reason that cost tens of billions of dollars and lead to the deaths of hundreds of thousands of people? As bad as Denmark is, does it operate secret detention facilities around the world, used to torture potentially-innocent people for "possible" leads on terrorists? As bad as the Netherlands is, does it have incarcerations rates that rival the likes of China, Russia, and North Korea? The fact of the matter is, every single country on this planet has problems and nowhere is perfect, but you cannot sit there and tell me that all of these countries have all of the problems that the United States does, and that these problems are not reason enough to emigrate from the United States as soon as possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2013, 09:05 AM

1,523 posts, read 3,900,505 times
I think it is cute that you think big lobbying groups only can control the US government.

Corruption is not something limited in any way to the US.

For example, Gustl Mollath was wrongly committed to a mental institution for making allegations of money laundering at HypoVereinsbank. Allegations that were later proved to be entirely correct and all evidence against him made up. Gee whiz. Gustl Mollath - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Many of these peaceful countries support our ridiculous war efforts one way or another. International Security Assistance Force - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And our NSA efforts...

Funny you should mention Sweden...this article should be good reading then. Swedish Regime To Give Police, Customs, Tax Authorities Realtime Access to Citizens' Phone, Mail, More - Falkvinge on Infopolicy

Also recently Norway admitted to willingly collecting information for the NSA: Norway admits it carried out phone surveillance for NSA ? RT News

As for supporting dictatorships, Germany defends selling military equipment to Saudi Arabia: Bundesregierung verteidigt Rüstungsexporte nach Saudi-Arabien - SPIEGEL ONLINE

Police brutality and stupidity as if that were some unique feature? Do we really want to go there? OK, well, we'll start with this fresh off the presses from Australia: CCTV released of dying man Gong Ling Tang outside Dandenong police station - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

Old 11-22-2013, 09:34 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,885,876 times
Wow this thread has gone downhill and going into nonsensical territory. Soon the P&C forum guys are going to be comming in (seems some are already here). The OP has not come back and it's obvious from the niavete nature of the OPs post that they aren't going anywhere. My only comment is, as they say, "the grass is not greener..."

IBTL, which I predict will be coming soon.

Old 11-22-2013, 10:49 AM

1,523 posts, read 3,900,505 times
I'm not sure why it was ever moved out of General Moving or at least to World or Legal Immigration. Travel really doesn't fit this topic because the intent is to immigrate.

I think it is a fun topic. People in first world countries swearing they are the worst places on the planet compared to Idealized FWC when all the FWC are far more alike than different when you get down to it.

Old 05-08-2014, 01:39 AM

50 posts, read 111,013 times
If you have the moneyPrincipality of Monaco, hard to beat.Spent 2weeks there working every year for 3 years always looked forward to it. Super clean there and no crime

Old 05-08-2014, 02:48 AM

204 posts, read 316,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallybalt View Post
There's more to the world than Europe, which only constitutes a small percentage of the world's population.

We have:

All of Africa.

Asia.

Middle East.

Central Asia.

The Indian sub-continent.

South America.

Central America.

Most of the above places do not have the best reputation for tolerance and liberalism.

Even Europe, which is touted by some as a progressive paradise, has deep pockets of conservatism that may not manifest itself readily visible. Germany has a fantastic social welfare system but at the same time has been very slow to grant citizenships to the sizable Turkish minority despite decades (and now even generations) of residence.

Every country is going to have its ugly side and uncomfortable facts. The OP is searching for something that simply does not exist.
Without question the USA is the globes capital for decadence.

There is more to the Turks in Germany plot. As in guest workers unwilling to learn and adapt to the native culture. Europeans (same with overwhelming majority of this globe) aren't willing to sacrifice their native ideals for outsiders, why should they? Multiculturalism has always failed I.E. current day USA.

I am in the process of moving to Germany so I am perfecting their native tongue. How can people live in Germany and even be born and not speak German? That is downright sickening. And it's a common story with the stereotypical child bearing stay at home Turkish wife.

Old 11-14-2014, 05:31 PM

2 posts, read 1,286 times
New Zealand wouyld be wonderful, Denmark excellent. Is Ireland perhaps on your radar?

Old 11-14-2014, 05:56 PM

2 posts, read 1,286 times
New Zealand wouyld be wonderful, Denmark excellent. Is Ireland perhaps on your radar?

Old 11-15-2014, 07:21 AM

1,344 posts, read 1,742,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikec1088 View Post
To everyone saying that every country has its problems, I completely agree. There is obviously no perfect country, but there are certainly plenty of good options out there. And while the United States still might rank pretty high on a list of desirable places to live, it's stories like the ones posted below that make me certain I want to leave. Even though such incidents are isolated, the fact of the matter is they are part of a disturbing trend that I want no part of whatsoever. And no matter how many problems places like Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Sweden, Norway, or any other developed, democratic country might have, as far as I know, they don't have anything like this going on:

Man Claims He Was Anally Probed 8 Times Following Traffic Stop For Drugs « CBS Las Vegas

North Texas Drivers Stopped at Roadblock Asked for Saliva, Blood | NBC 5 Dallas-Fort Worth

Yahoo!

When police in the United States start acting like police in Saudi Arabia and North Korea, it's time to find another country to live in.

Well, luckily the guy in that case got a $1.6 Million dollar settlement.

Man gets $1.6M in anal-probe settlement - NY Daily News

Seems to me like the system worked to right wrongs. You are always going to have bad apples in every organization/government/corporation, etc
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel