Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2013, 09:21 AM

1,846 posts, read 2,044,974 times

Advertisements

What is the best time of day to do the Narrows(Day hike) and Angels Landing hike? Keeping in mind I want the best pictures and also want to make it down safely.

Any other good hikes in the area? I was considering the subways but I don't have the technical know how to do the hike safely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2013, 07:56 PM

1,492 posts, read 1,618,251 times
I have hiked Zion twice. I would suggest an early start for Angels Landing. While I was not a fan of the switchbacks the view from the top was amazing.

Hiking the narrows seems not so "time of day" dependant. However, the guide in the park suggested that going in the fall when the water level is down is a better hike than going in the spring when I was there.

Old 11-15-2013, 10:45 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,282,333 times
I would not plan a hike at Zion or Bryce without a stop at the Ranger Station to get the updates on the trails that you wish to hike. The rangers will give you advice on whether the trail is safe and will let you know of any issues you may encounter.

Also, if you are traveling during the winter months, please let people know where you are heading as the crowds are small in teh winter months.

Old 11-18-2013, 03:46 PM

1,712 posts, read 3,078,282 times
We just went to Zion for the first time last month. A guy on the bus was staying in the area and did the Angel's Landing hike the day before. His suggestion to another person who wanted to do it while they were staying in the area was to get started early, because there isn't as many people. I would agree with this because we were there around lunch time and there seemed to be a steady amount of people you could see making the journey. It wasn't packed from what I could see (with binoculars from the road), but likely busy for the time we were visiting. I hear it can be really busy during whatever is the peak touring season for the park. I just looked at recent monthly stats, and the summer months have over 100K more visitors than October.

Old 11-18-2013, 10:49 PM

1,846 posts, read 2,044,974 times
I plan to start hiking angels landing 6 AM and explore the rest of the park or maybe try the Observation Point hike.

Old 11-20-2013, 12:12 PM

13 posts, read 20,593 times
My brother and I hiked up Angels landing. We got on the first bus in the morning to drop us off at the trail head. It was us and maybe about 7 other people. Climbing up it felt like we had the place to ourselves, but coming back down, the place was swarming with people. Like everyone else said, I would suggest doing it as early as possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel