U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2013, 11:23 AM

1,239 posts, read 1,708,485 times

Advertisements

Which Caribbean islands are best with kids? We want to be able to leave the resort, drive around, try local restaurants, visit attractions, relax at the beach, hike, etc.

I look at Beaches T&C...that's $4700 for the resort only!

Thought about Puerto Rico...can stay at a really nice resort for $250 per night, or the double tree for $132/night. But then I hear PR isn't safe.

Atlantis is half the price of Beaches, but no food is included. Is Nassau nice outside of the resort?

Help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2013, 11:51 AM

3,161 posts, read 8,095,655 times
Puerto Rico is safe. Just like where you live, there are some places to avoid. Chances are as a tourist, you would never be in those "dangerous" places. Trouble usually finds trouble.

I'd add Aruba to your list. The waves are nonexistent (good for kids) and the whole island is very kid friendly. You can find all sorts of lodging options- all inclusives, high end resorts, middle of the road hotels, and more budget conscious places. It is very westernized and there are tons of Americans there (for better or worse) which means there are plenty of nonstop competitively priced flights out of all major US airports.

Old 11-15-2013, 12:07 PM

2,536 posts, read 8,124,283 times
PR is fine, but I find that the large population and excessive traffic really took away from the beauty of being in the Caribbean.

Nassau, IMHO, sucks. It is an overpriced tacky cruise port where you will pay a lot for very medicore food. Worse, the prices for food at Atlantis are excessively high.

The ABCs might be good, as well as St. John. My top recommendation would be the Mayan Riviera though...beautiful beaches, reasonable prices for resorts and/or other lodging options, exellent and reasonably priced food and plenty of other options to entertain the kids.

Old 11-15-2013, 12:11 PM

7,681 posts, read 16,101,231 times
If you're thinking Atlantis, the Comfort Suites nearby has an arrangement to use the Atlantis amenities included with room rate, and can be cheaper than the main resort property.

Old 11-15-2013, 01:12 PM

2,483 posts, read 3,536,154 times
I don't know if you're looking specifically for an island in the hears of the caribbean, but Cancun has some of the best vacation deals you can find. There are dozens of resorts there and they all have kid offerings, some more than others. Lot of day trip options too to see ruins, mangroves and of course more beaches. It;s also relatively safe there because it is so heavily touristed. But it's Mex and a lot of people find that less exciting/exotic or whatever.

We stayed at an all-inclusive resort in the off season and really scored with nice weather and just a 10% capacity crowd to share three private beaches with. Get's pretty crazy int he springtime though I've heard.

Old 11-15-2013, 03:40 PM

1,239 posts, read 1,708,485 times
beachmouse - thanks for the tip!

otterprods - cancun during spring break makes me nervous

mdp_az - what are the ABCs?

Old 11-15-2013, 04:05 PM

645 posts, read 862,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rizzo0904 View Post

mdp_az - what are the ABCs?
Hi...I believe mdp may be referring to Aruba, Bonaire, and Curacao.

Old 11-15-2013, 05:29 PM

2,483 posts, read 3,536,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rizzo0904 View Post
otterprods - cancun during spring break makes me nervous
Nothing to be nervous about. Lots of families there then and the heavy partying is going on in the bars in town. But it is crowded, which may not be your thing… it's not mine.

Old 11-16-2013, 12:51 PM

14,251 posts, read 14,139,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mels View Post
Puerto Rico is safe. Just like where you live, there are some places to avoid. Chances are as a tourist, you would never be in those "dangerous" places. Trouble usually finds trouble.

I'd add Aruba to your list. The waves are nonexistent (good for kids) and the whole island is very kid friendly. You can find all sorts of lodging options- all inclusives, high end resorts, middle of the road hotels, and more budget conscious places. It is very westernized and there are tons of Americans there (for better or worse) which means there are plenty of nonstop competitively priced flights out of all major US airports.
I'd say that Aruba is a good bet for the 'non adventurous', and that is not meant as a slur.

Parts of it are home from home to Americans.

Old 11-16-2013, 12:58 PM

8,249 posts, read 11,113,390 times
Yeah. Just don't expect any action from the police if you run into trouble. Remember Natalie Holloway. Spend your money someplace that respects American visitors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel