Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2013, 11:28 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,679,222 times

Advertisements

Driving between Dallas, Tx and Berkeley, CA I would much prefer to take the "northern route" thru Alb. & Flagstaff than the southern route via El Paso, Tucson because its a bit shorter and more direct. The trip begins 12/16.

But I am fearful I will encounter icy roads because the altitude is higher. Its a least a 3-day drive for me and I will be traveling with another adult and 2 dogs in the car.

Your suggestions on preferred route and also overnight stops?

I won't be in a terrible rush. If needed I can take more time than 3 days but I might get pretty weary, considering we'll dogs with us, and find 3 days is about all we can enjoy on a road trip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2013, 01:52 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
Driving between Dallas, Tx and Berkeley, CA I would much prefer to take the "northern route"
thru Alb. & Flagstaff (and Vegas and Reno) than the southern route...

But I am fearful I will encounter icy roads...
Its a least a 3-day drive (using either route)...
I will be traveling with another adult and 2 dogs in the car.

Your suggestions on preferred route...
It's all about the weather... and the dogs.

You can't expect to decide before the weather reports on the 10th...
and still probably not until you've gotten to Flagstaff about turning north before I-5 or not.
This time of year? I'll say the I-10w to I-5n route has the best odds.

Quote:
...and also overnight stops?
It's all about the dogs. Most chains will tolerate one small dog.
Two or more will be tougher to manage. Stick to the places in the 'burbs.

Old 12-05-2013, 11:38 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,118,032 times
It's about 25 hours of driving using the "northern" route versus 26 hours using the mild-weather "southern" route.
If you hit icy/snowy conditions, the northern route may take even longer.

Old 12-05-2013, 02:57 PM

18,208 posts, read 25,840,395 times
If you decide on I-40-

I would settle in at Tucumcari for the night. Albuquerque is too far (for me anyway) at 752 miles. Tucumcari isn't a bad little town at all. Distance is about 570 miles and there are plenty of motels there as it's an old Route 66 town. A personal favorite for me regarding eats is a nice mom and pop place-Del's Diner. It's on Tucumcari Blvd (also designated Route 66) I lived in Tucumcari in 1983 while on a pipeline job. Was there this past summer for a Route 66 festival and saw Wanda Jackson in concert. Place hasn't changed much.

Tucumcari to Albuquerque is about a three hour drive (I think)

Albuquerque has plenty of motels! It's a long haul though at 752 miles. Lots of franchise motels at the I-40 and Eubank exit. North off Eubank about 2 blocks to Hotel Circle--several chain motels there such as Quality Inn, Howard Johnson's, Days Inn, etc. And a great mom and pop restaurant there next to the motels is the Owl Cafe! Cool place and great breakfast specials!

Albuquerque to Flagstaff is 330 miles. Plenty of motels at the Butler, Lucky lane, and I-17 exits. Basic franchise motels, same with the restaurants. Williams and Ash Fork are nice towns but are small. Services are a tad limited. So Flag IMO is your best bet. Kingman is another 150 miles west. If you decide there, the Andy Devine exit is what you want there. Lots of motels are available. Restaurants are a tad thin IMO but the places I've eaten are OK.

Going I-40 is fine providing you KNOW the five day forecast is favorable regarding driving conditions. I-40 is a major truck route, major! There's been improvements to the on ramps coming into Albuquerque (Tijeras Canyon). The New Mexico and Arizona road workers do a great job with maintenance. One thing to keep in mind regarding Flagstaff. Storms can come up through there in a hurry, and A-DOT won't hesitate to close the road in a hurry when multiple accidents stack up. I know, I've seen a couple bad ones.

Old 12-05-2013, 05:02 PM

If you decide on I-10;

D/FW off Interstate 20 to El Paso is plenty long enough at 630 miles. I remember one time I could only make it to Van Horn at the Motel 6 but it was on ok overnight stop. Only stayed in El Paso just one time on the last exit west on I-10 and stayed at the Red Roof Inn, had a great meal at a mom and pop Mexican food restaurant (name escapes me.)

El Paso to Tucson is around 320 miles or so and maybe 450 miles to Phoenix. Obviously Phoenix would be the place here. I go to Phoenix a time or two for Spring MLB baseball in March. You'll see plenty of the franchise motels and restaurants, particularly when you get past the sports stadiums and Sky Harbor airport and you make the 90 degree turn where I-17 merges with I-10. I've never stayed on the far west end of Phoenix as there are certain businesses I like to shop at in Mesa and Tempe, and these towns won't work for you here.

One thing about Phoenix, the growth regarding Phoenix over the years has been crazy. It wasn't but maybe a couple decades ago that the Dysart Road exit on the west side of I-10 to Eliot Rd. on the east side were where the growth ended. Now it's a couple miles further on each side, maybe more.

Hopefully more people will weigh in here, I'm kind of light on opinion regarding the I-10 route. At this time of the year, that's how I always go though. And even though it's way south, don't think that you won't run into snow, you can. El Paso got a couple surprise storms last year.

Be safe and good luck!

ADD>>>>>Mr.Rational is right. I don't have a dog but motel chains I've dealt with seem to be ok w/ one. But more than one? Not sure, best to check with them!

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 12-05-2013 at 05:24 PM..

Old 12-05-2013, 06:46 PM

44,620 posts, read 61,578,192 times
^^Good points above.
Weather makes the big difference. I'd prefer the southern route as you very likely would not experience any weather delays, it should be warmer also and more comfortable.
I was on I-40 one winter between Tucumcari and Albuquerque and a freak snowstorm came in and there was a long line of semi's when one jackknifed rolled over blocking all lanes. The traffic back up delayed everyone about 6+ hours before everything was cleared and moving again. I ended up losing a days travel time

Old 12-07-2013, 11:38 AM

Wit-nit is right. I remember that storm too! I was staying with friends who live between Moriarty and Edgewood and they got a foot of snow when that semi flipped. You are climbing in elevation when you get west of Santa Rosa and coming into Clines Corners. And the elevation is around 6500 ft. or thereabouts, might have to look that up. The towns are 40 to 50 miles apart and the state highway department work yards are a ways from each other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel