U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2013, 06:27 AM

4,792 posts, read 6,791,276 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Capital One charges no foreign exchange transaction fees on ots cards. That is the major reason that I switched to Capital One from Chase.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Be sure to phone yur credit card company before you go and tell them your travel plans. Or they will block your card the minute they see a charge for an overseas purchase.
I had notified Capital One I was going to the Bahamas and was charged twice by a hotel.No problem it was handled quickly.Just like disputing a domestic charge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2013, 06:56 AM

32,079 posts, read 32,980,395 times
Quote:
Capital One charges no foreign exchange transaction fees on ots cards. That is the major reason that I switched to Capital One from Chase.
Capital One now does charge foreign transaction fees on its debit cards for purchases in foreign currency. (They changed their policy.)

Old 12-06-2013, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Be sure to phone yur credit card company before you go and tell them your travel plans. Or they will block your card the minute they see a charge for an overseas purchase.
One doesn't have to go overseas to make an overseas purchase. If you order something from the internet where the company is located overseas, it will be in a foreign currency. So there would be no reason for to notify your credit card company or for them to block your card (when you haven't even left the USA but do have a foreign currency transaction on your card).

Old 12-06-2013, 12:16 PM

14,260 posts, read 23,991,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
Capital One now does charge foreign transaction fees on its debit cards for purchases in foreign currency. (They changed their policy.)
Note that the topic is CREDIT CARDS, not debit cards. I have their terms and conditions of teh credit card received this week and they do NOT charge a foreign exchange service fee.

I would NOT touch a debit card with a ten foot pole.

Old 12-06-2013, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Note that the topic is CREDIT CARDS, not debit cards. I have their terms and conditions of teh credit card received this week and they do NOT charge a foreign exchange service fee.

I would NOT touch a debit card with a ten foot pole.
Note that I am the OP and I just wanted to mention that there is a difference between Capital One debit cards that have a "Mastercard" symbol on them and can be used similar to a credit card especially when one is outside the country (and this type of card now does charge a foreign transaction fee) versus a real Capital One credit card.

Old 12-09-2013, 06:20 AM

3,161 posts, read 8,095,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus7 View Post
The problem is that this is a "chip and signature" card and not a "chip and PIN" system like the rest of the modern world (that uses chips) uses. In fact, there is only one bank in the US that offers a Chip and PIN card, and it is a small credit union. It boggles the mind why the US is stuck in the dark ages on this, and none of the big banks are willing to issue Chip and PIN cards

Also, you can't use these chip and signature cards at many train station kiosks - for example, my card was rejected at the Paris metro because it lacked a PIN.
Yes, my Chase card is not chip and PIN but the chip/signature allows me to use train station kiosks in London, no problem, where my other chip-less card does not. I have used my chip/signature card in kiosks in Victoria, Paddington, and St. Pancras stations, as well as smaller towns well outside of London with no issues. I mostly travel within the UK, so I am not sure if my success would continue when on the continent.

I also wish the US would catch up with the rest of the world and institute chip and PIN.

Old 12-09-2013, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mels View Post
Yes, my Chase card is not chip and PIN but the chip/signature allows me to use train station kiosks in London, no problem, where my other chip-less card does not. I have used my chip/signature card in kiosks in Victoria, Paddington, and St. Pancras stations, as well as smaller towns well outside of London with no issues. I mostly travel within the UK, so I am not sure if my success would continue when on the continent.

I also wish the US would catch up with the rest of the world and institute chip and PIN.
The Bank of America Travel Rewards credit card does have a chip and signature and one can request a pin for it as well.

Old 12-09-2013, 10:37 AM

4,123 posts, read 4,748,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
Citi just sent us a new Thank You Rewards card with chip. Wouldn't be surprised if all card issuers were phasing them in over 2014.
It's about time! We've had chip and pin in the UK for years! I also have a US debit card and it's a PITA to use here because many younger clerks don't know about swiping and signing for a purchase.

Old 12-15-2013, 03:04 AM

31 posts, read 59,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
The Bank of America Travel Rewards credit card does have a chip and signature and one can request a pin for it as well.
I think you misunderstood what the PIN they would be giving you is for. That PIN would be for withdrawing a cash advance from an ATM, not for "Chip and PIN" point-of-sale use. From BofA's own website, "Bank of America does not offer chip & PIN technology."

Old 12-15-2013, 03:08 AM

31 posts, read 59,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mels View Post

If it works for you for what you need it for, then great. Personally, I found it very annoying to be able to use the chip aspect, but then be stuck with the archaic practice of signing the receipt. Many times, the cashiers would assume that I had a PIN because I was using the chip slot on their machine, and I had to remind them the US is a few decades behind everyone else and that a signature slip should be printing shortly
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or