Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2013, 07:33 AM

7 posts, read 6,369 times

Advertisements

I have planned a trip to Beijing over the Chinese New Year and I have a few questions:
Is it safe to wal the streets of the Hutongs at night?
Is the subway safe?
Anyone know what sites are closed on the actual New Year day?
Will locals still be doing Tai Chi in the parks in the winter?
Where is best place to watch New YEar Fireworks from?
Any info on the temple fairs?
Has anyone used this service http://www.beijing-airport-transportation.com/ for transport from the airport?
Any of the "top ten" sites you would recommend missing?
I would like to visit a quaint, old, small, intimate Chinese hebal/traditional medicine store/person, any recommendations?
Where to find fortune tellers?
Look forward to some insights.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2013, 01:38 PM

43,303 posts, read 43,990,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dandilion View Post
I have planned a trip to Beijing over the Chinese New Year and I have a few questions:
Is it safe to wal the streets of the Hutongs at night?
Is the subway safe?
Anyone know what sites are closed on the actual New Year day?
Will locals still be doing Tai Chi in the parks in the winter?
Where is best place to watch New YEar Fireworks from?
Any info on the temple fairs?
Has anyone used this service Beijing airport, Beijing airport transfer, Beijing transportation, Beijing local transport expert for transport from the airport?
Any of the "top ten" sites you would recommend missing?
I would like to visit a quaint, old, small, intimate Chinese hebal/traditional medicine store/person, any recommendations?
Where to find fortune tellers?
Look forward to some insights.
Yes, the Beijing subway system is safe but extremely crowded. It is very cheap only 2 RMB per ride. Also it is extremely easy to navigate for foreigners as there are signs in English everywhere.
I believe (but I am not sure!) that the tourist attractions will be opened normally on the Chinese New Year but all Chinese Government offices will be closed.
I would assume that Tai Chi goes on in the parks in the winter too (of course weather permitting).
I have used a car/limo service from the Beijing airport to go to the Beijing South (high speed) Railway Station and on another occasion simply taken a taxi from the airport to visit friends at a neighborhood not far from Beijing Airport. In order to use taxis one must have the address written down in Chinese for the drivers who do not speak English.
I think the most important sites to visit in Beijing are the Forbidden City, the Great Wall (which is a day trip outside the city), the Temple of Heaven, Tiananmen Square and the Summer Palace.

Old 01-12-2014, 11:11 AM

7 posts, read 6,369 times
Thanks for the feedback! It will help with my planning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel