Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2013, 11:08 AM

3,070 posts, read 5,220,341 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SherryCole View Post
And, the mother's funeral? Really? That is not realistic, nice hyperbole though. Because realistically, based on life expectancy data, my daughter will be a legal adult by the time my mother kicks the bucket. So that scenario is little more than exxageration fodder more than anything.
This may be surprising to you, but not everyone who flies is in a situation where they are doing it for fun, or where they can just cancel plans on a whim because their kid missed a nap. Are you truly suffering from tunnel vision so badly that you think that every toddler on a flight is just going to a refundable Disneyworld trip for fun?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2013, 11:09 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,534,654 times
Quote:
Great. I can't wait to hear your wailing toddler while I'm stuffed in a metal tube for 16 hours.

And, the mother's funeral? Really? That is not realistic, nice hyperbole though.
Here's the thing, when we plan trips to see family, we do so 2 or 3 years in advance. The tickets are a minimum of $2,000 a head, usually 3. Trip insurance add a LOT extra to the costs, so we usually don't take that. Add work schedules, hotel reservations, you are talking $20,000. If the child develops cholera we wouldn't go, if the child has an ear ache you damned right we'd go.

Why not talk about funerals? We have sadly attended more immediate family funerals in the last few years than we would have liked. Last minute flight costs to where our family is run $5,000 a ticket.

Old 12-15-2013, 11:12 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,534,654 times
Pointless discussion, some people are and always will be pathologically self-centered.

I once accompanied a patient on an international flight. I don't know if anyone has been on a flight where they remove a few rows to accommodate someone with medical needs. Anyway a woman complained that the sound of the ventilator was annoying. Some people are just like that, it's all about meeeeeeee!

Old 12-15-2013, 11:13 AM

3,070 posts, read 5,220,341 times
Quote:
Who is talking about "Zimbochick"? I am talking about MYSELF. Like many other poster said, you read way too much stuff in my posts that are nonexistent.
Some people here, such as that poster, are trying to take into account the different situations with people who aren't exactly like you. People who can't just financially cancel a trip on a whim, people with more than one child to worry about, people who have disabled children, people who are traveling out of obligation and not holiday (funerals, which are actually a very common reason for flight), people who can't let the world revolve around their one precious.

Old 12-15-2013, 11:14 AM

43,011 posts, read 107,823,476 times
Quote:
Who is talking about "Zimbochick"? I am talking about MYSELF.
You quoted Zimbochick. Your response was to her. You said her post was hyperbole and fodder.

Quote:
Because realistically, based on life expectancy data, my daughter will be a legal adult by the time my mother kicks the bucket. So that scenario is little more than exxageration fodder more than anything.
Interesting. You must be from one of those families that typically has children very young. My family isn't like that. My parents had me and my siblings when my mother was in her 30s and 40s. My mother died when my daughter was 2 and I was pregnant with my second, my father died when my daughter was 4 and my son was 2, and my eldest sister died a year after that at age 38. I believe Zimbochick is close to my age and she has a much younger child than my children. It's not an exaggeration for many families.

Old 12-15-2013, 11:16 AM

30,220 posts, read 23,636,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
There are plenty of polite ways to deal with people whose behaviors are annoying you, but it does come back to the fact that what annoys one person may not annoy the next. And I'm pretty sure the most vocal posters in this thread annoy others on a regular basis.
And what does not annoy one person may indeed annoy the next.

Oh, I also really loved your slam!!!! It was so good! Except it has major flaws:

No one is stuck on City Data. We can all click the little red 'x' any old time that we want. We can also put those annoying posters on ignore and never see them again. AND!!!! We don't pay a dime for City Data. Not even close to being an apt comparison to someone's out of control screaming, kicking child on a flight.

Please try again.

Old 12-15-2013, 11:21 AM

13,250 posts, read 9,869,136 times
Quote:
I don't care whether you have to go to Johannesburg, Dubai, or Frankfurt, but when you bring a child on a long haul flight when they are sick or miserable with an ear infection for your own convenience you set yourself up for tantrums a and wailing. And thanks for your extreme situations but yes I would forego those flights. I'm not subjecting my daughter to pain just because I want to get there just like everyone else. Sorry but my daughter is the most important person in my life as she is my only child.
And how often exactly have you cancelled a flight so as not to subject everyone to your hungry/tired child?

I don't know why you're so obsessed with ear infections. Ear infections are not the only reason kids cry on flights.

Old 12-15-2013, 11:26 AM

13,250 posts, read 9,869,136 times
Actually I wouldn't mind if they separated flights into family friendly and more adult leaning.

That way I wouldn't be subjected to rude and judgmental people who's sanctimony and self righteousness trumps the reality for say an 8 month old and their parents, because they have zero empathy and even less grace and good humor.

Old 12-15-2013, 11:27 AM

24 posts, read 28,916 times
I'm so self centered because my daughter and I don't want to hear the ear piercing screams of a toddler while on a long haul flights? Give me a break.

Old 12-15-2013, 11:38 AM

13,979 posts, read 25,887,117 times
Quote:
I'm so self centered because my daughter and I don't want to hear the ear piercing screams of a toddler while on a long haul flights? Give me a break.
And yet you seem to think there is an easy fix. There isn't, and I don't consider canceling a trip due to an ear infection a realistic one. As so many have pointed out, the vast majority of affordable tickets (affordable in the eyes of the beholder here) are non-refundable. Kids get sick quickly, and even when away from home. My kids were stoic little things, on more than one occasion I was alerted to the possibility of an ear infection precisely because of the change in altitude.

So, I think the less tolerant and understanding adults are the ones that need to rethink their means of travel. Just for you own comfort, of course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel