U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2013, 01:57 PM

4 posts, read 7,745 times

Advertisements

HI. I'm driving with my son from NJ to Tampa immediately after Christmas. I will be flying back to NJ Saturday (the 28th) morning so we are thinking of heading out Christmas evening (wed around 5) to spend the first night just south of DC. We would then leave DC area in the morning and see if we can at least make it to Jacksonville for the night (thur the 26th). I have never traveled this way Christmas night so I'm unsure of traffic on I-95 and also wonder what the I-95 traffic will be like the day after Christmas headed south. And advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2013, 02:12 PM

28,487 posts, read 62,101,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJtraveldad View Post
...my son from NJ to Tampa immediately after Christmas.
Finding hotel rooms in decent places will be hard.
Planning progress to/between locations is harder.

Old 12-15-2013, 04:47 PM

Yeah, I should have stated that I have a room set for christmas night but I'm concerned about traffic headed south that night on NJ Turnpike and I-95 S through to DC. It should be 3 1/2 hours but I was wondering what to expect. The next night I have a room set in Jacksonville that I can cancel by 6pm if we can't make it. That should be about 9 1/2 hours of driving but again, I don't know what to expect as far as traffic delay.

Old 12-15-2013, 07:02 PM

729 posts, read 1,219,933 times
I am actually in Orlando with a friend from NJ. She took two days driving down here. I-95 up north is horrible and I can't imagine it will be any better the day after Christmas. Plus is may be harder to find gas. Any way you can take I-81 to head south instead? It is a much better route. Not sure of the connections though

Old 12-16-2013, 02:52 AM

34,361 posts, read 41,436,735 times
I-95 is always too busy for my liking, for the past few years i've been avoiding the congestion by laving from Montreal in the late afternoon and driving all night, makes for much less traffic doing the NYC to Richmond segment of the trip between 11pm to 5am.usually i stop around noon and sleep till late evening then wake up and finish the trip to Tampa.

Old 12-16-2013, 07:12 AM

13,104 posts, read 24,877,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by young92 View Post
I am actually in Orlando with a friend from NJ. She took two days driving down here. I-95 up north is horrible and I can't imagine it will be any better the day after Christmas. Plus is may be harder to find gas. Any way you can take I-81 to head south instead? It is a much better route. Not sure of the connections though
I agree..I81 through VA much better but this time of year weather may be dicey through the VA mountains

Old 12-16-2013, 08:30 AM

7,678 posts, read 16,092,150 times
I'd be inclined to think it would be no worse than a normal commuting day, since a lot of folks take time off between Christmas and New Year's and traffic would be less concentrated during rush hours.

Old 12-16-2013, 09:00 AM

28,487 posts, read 62,101,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJtraveldad View Post
HI. I'm
driving with my son from NJ to Tampa immediately after Christmas.
I have never traveled this way Christmas Eve.
Wait until Xmas morning to leave.
Forget stopping in DC for more than a hello and slice of pie..

Leg #1) Freehold to Fayetteville NC (lots of hotel choices)
A bit over 500 miles and about 8 hours

Leg #2) Fayetteville NC to Tampa FL
A bit shy of 600 miles and about 9 hours

Old 12-17-2013, 08:15 AM

Thank you all for your replies and advice. Rt 81 would be great but I think too far out of the way if I can time the I-95 route to avoid major traffic. I'd love to believe beachmouse is right but I get the feeling the highways south will be clogged with snowbirds, vacationing families and college kids (26th and following few days). MrRational"s advice would be great but the other half of my family will be home here and going locally to afternoon gathering with family.

I'm leaning towards leaving around noon the 25th after our immediate family christmas morning, and shooting for a hotel around, or just south of Richmond. I've done that trip in about 6hrs without holliday traffic so with any luck maybe traffic will be real light and we can get a little further south. I think we will pack food and look for gas at truck stops.

The next day could be a heavy traffic day and end in another hotel night but if traffic isn't too bad maybe we can push on through to final destination Port Richie (just north of Tampa).

That's the current plan anyway. Thanks again and I'll keep checking back in case anyone has any other ideas.

Old 12-22-2013, 01:16 PM

359 posts, read 833,908 times
I like rt78 to rt81 to rt77 to rt26 to rt 95,good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel