U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2007, 12:04 PM

138 posts, read 925,742 times

Advertisements

So, I am planning an East Coast road trip in either March or Sept (haven't confirmed yet). I am prospecting possible places to move. I currently live in San Diego.

I'd like to move to somewhere in the New England area.

Can anyone point out must-see places to visit that might be a good place to call home?

I'm kind of looking for a small town, but with access to a bigger city. I'd love lots of stores and restaurants near-by (with 15-20 min drive), but live in a neighborhood (where I could rent a house or apt) that feels like a small-town.

I definitely plan on hitting Boston and NYC on my trip, but don't particularly want to live in those areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2007, 08:16 PM

4,382 posts, read 15,320,912 times
On an East coast road trip i would see (cities)

boston
newport
new york
Philly
Baltimore
DC
Richmond
Charleston
Savannah
jacksonville
miami (if you get that far)

"I'm kind of looking for a small town, but with access to a bigger city. I'd love lots of stores and restaurants near-by (with 15-20 min drive), but live in a neighborhood (where I could rent a house or apt) that feels like a small-town."

But with your criteria, everything fits for Frederick,MD! Acess to Bmore,Philly,DC, and pittsburgh - and NY is four hours away, the Chesapeake is only 45 minutes away,and the ocean 2-3 hours away. There are an endless amount of privatly owned shops and also many,many restuarants. Im only talking about the downtown section though. There are also many quality neighborhoods to choose from! when you're in frederick, you can go hiking in the mountains, go to the parks (baker park is the largest), see all of the history and museums, see beautiful architecture, go down to the riverwalk, its a great place to raise a family, Frederick just seems like a perfect place, and i wish i still lived there (i moved out a year ago because of a job), you should definently look into it

Old 12-02-2007, 07:32 PM

2,257 posts, read 6,969,738 times
I think you'll find just what you're looking for in New England! There are tons of quaint, small towns with easy access to some of the larger cities. However, could you be more specific as to the size of the town that you're looking for? And do you need to be within easy driving distance of a major city, or just a commercial area with stores, restaurants, etc.?

Also, just for semantics' sake, New York isn't part of New England ...but I don't know that state very well anyway, so I can offer you some tips on the NE states:

Connecticut
Must-see places? Most people probably visit Yale and Mystic Seaport, but if you're looking for a small town, my recommendation would be either in the Northwestern part of the state (Litchfield County) or the "Quiet Corner", the Northeastern corner (Windham and Tolland County). Litchfield County is quite nice... the major town is Torrington, with a lot of smaller towns around it like Goshen, Litchfield, Winsted... this area would give you relatively good access to larger towns like Watertown, New Milford, Bristol, and also to Hartford.

The northeastern corner is more isolated, but I'd recommend a drive along route 169 through Canterbury, Brooklyn, Pomfret, and Woodstock...these are all small, quintessential New England towns. There are no major cities close by, but there are a few larger towns like Putnam, Willimantic, Webster MA...and Norwich / New London further south near Mystic.

Rhode Island
The number 1 must-see place is Newport. You'll also find some scenic small towns in the area like Jamestown, Kingston, Wickford, or Little Compton. Generally speaking, the western half of the state is much less denseley populated, but you might want to check out the area around Westerly, i.e. Ashaway, Bradford, Hope Valley... If you're looking for something closer to Providence, then try Scituate, Greenville, Glocester... or the Pascoag area which is close to Woonsocket. However, avoid the Providence and Woonsocket areas themselves unless you want to do sightseeing in the old part of Providence (near Brown), which is quite nice.

Massachusetts
Most people like to visit the historic sites, i.e. Boston, Lexington, Concord, Plymouth, and Salem, which are all worth a trip. The North Shore, past Beverly, is also quite nice... I'd highly recommend visiting Newburyport and Ipswich, and a lot of people like to visit Gloucester as well... you'll find some nice smaller towns in this area like Hamilton, Manchester-by-the-Sea, Essex, and Rowley. If you want something closer to Boston, the western suburbs are the nicest... check out the area around Concord. If you go further northwest, you'll come to nice small towns like Harvard and Groton.

In the middle of the state, the area between Worcester and Springfield, there is a large number of small towns from which you could commute to either city. I can't make any specific recommendations, but there are plenty of them... Ware, Belchertown, Palmer, Leicester, Spencer, Brookfield, Charlton, etc. etc.. One reason for coming to this area is to visit Old Sturbridge Village. If you go further north, away from I-90, you'll come across a lot of smaller, rural towns.

The big attraction in western Mass. is the Berkshires. Pittsfield is the big town in the hills, with plenty of smaller towns around it... Lenox, Adams, Williamstown, etc. are all decent sized. And there are a lot of smaller villages as well, some of which are also close to Springfield. You might consider towns like Southwick, or if you go further north up the Pioneer / Connecticut River Valley, decent-sized towns like Easthampton, Northampton, and Amherst (lots of college students). Go further north and you'll come to smaller and very nice towns like Deerfield.

New Hampshire
My favourite places in New Hampshire are 1) Portsmouth, 2) The Lakes Region, and 3) The White Mountains. Most of the population is concentrated in the southeastern part of the state, but there are plenty of small towns between Portsmouth, Manchester, and Concord (which are three of the major cities). Honestly, take your pick... Exeter, Kingston, Newmarket, Durham, Epping, Pittsfield, Goffstown, Amherst... most of these towns also offer relatively easy access to Boston.

In the middle of the state, Tilton and Laconia are decent sized towns, with a lot of small towns around them in the scenic lakes. Northern New England is rife with small towns and villages, so you needn't look far. You also have decent sized towns like Keene, Claremont, and Lebanon on the western edge of the state, but these are more isolated. Up in the beautiful White Mountains, you have big towns at North Conway, Berlin, Littleton, and Lincoln, with plenty of villages as well.

Maine
Maine is a massive state compared to the other 5 in New England, so I can hardly speak for all of it. You'll find the largest cities - Portland, Lewiston, Augusta, and Bangor - along I-95. But the most scenic areas are along the coast - I highly recommend the area through Wiscasset, Damariscotta, and up to Camden - and if you can make it, out to Bar Harbor and Acadia National Park. However, most of these areas are fairly isolated in terms of being far from a "major" city like Boston. But it is a beautiful area and you won't be hard-pressed to find small towns.

Vermont
Vermont is a beautiful but very rural state. The biggest attraction is the scenery, which you'll arguably find everywhere. The only "major city" is really Burlington, so if you make it up there you might want to check out some of the neighbouring small towns. Another option is the area around Bennington, which is quite nice and is also not too far from Albany, NY. I might also recommend some of the villages around Rutland, Brattleboro, or the Montpelier/Barre area.

Whew, sorry for the overload of information... that may have been way too general (or overwhelming!), but I hope it helped somewhat. If you have any more specific questions, let me know.

Old 12-03-2007, 06:52 AM

118 posts, read 584,775 times
St Augustine Florida

Old 12-03-2007, 08:19 AM

783 posts, read 2,355,616 times
Cape cod comes to mine in addition to the above ones stated.

Old 04-30-2008, 09:57 AM

138 posts, read 925,742 times
Default Thanks

Thanks. My trip is actually confirmed for October. I'm really excited to see where I'm potentially moving!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or