U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2014, 09:07 AM

115 posts, read 265,922 times

Advertisements

I'm currently 8 months pregnant and living down in NC. My parents and sister still live in NY and would like to be present for the birth next month. This being my first baby, I believe with a 2 hour flight, they should be able to make it in time. My only hesitation is them having to spend a ridiculous amount of money on last minute tickets. I've done a little research and saw that Southwest (according to their website) do not charge change fees but US Air will charge $150 per ticket. Does anyone have any experience with this? And good ideas? My due date is Feb 25th but who knows if I will be 2 weeks early or 2 weeks late.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2014, 09:32 AM

9,130 posts, read 17,156,839 times
USAir $150 + Increase in Fare.

Booking two hours out the walkup fare for LGA-CTL is close to $400, They would do better just booking the walkup fare. Then Paying the $100/Advance Purchase + $150 Change Fee (There would be no value left in the Advance Purchase Ticket).

So Over all it would be cheaper for them to just do the walkup fare. While it would be nice for them to be there. I would just have them book a ticket to come around the due date. (If they make it great, If not They will be there when they can).

Old 01-05-2014, 11:39 AM

14,969 posts, read 14,222,045 times
Southwest would still charge the fare difference.

You could always buy the lowest available refundable fares for multiple dates, but that is frowned upon.

Old 01-05-2014, 11:53 AM

72,027 posts, read 83,688,530 times
Afoig, said it best; they can book a few flights and take a chance, but it really isn't something I would do. I think either they need to purchase a ticket around your due date or take their chances. Normally the doctor will have some idea very soon whether the baby is going to arrive around his/her due date or early, late whatever. Of course never can we be sure, mother nature will do what she wants. Congrats, good luck, safe delivery and let's hope your mom and sis can be there.

Old 01-05-2014, 12:35 PM

18,677 posts, read 17,077,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Southwest would still charge the fare difference.

You could always buy the lowest available refundable fares for multiple dates, but that is frowned upon.
Why don't you have them book 2 incoming flights-both nonrefundable, but on SW always available as credits, a few days apart, and as you get a better idea which day they need to arrive, cancel the one not used, and use it as credit towards the departing flight out?

Old 01-05-2014, 05:47 PM

14,264 posts, read 24,009,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Why don't you have them book 2 incoming flights-both nonrefundable, but on SW always available as credits, a few days apart, and as you get a better idea which day they need to arrive, cancel the one not used, and use it as credit towards the departing flight out?
There are two caveats to this strategy.

First, unused flight segments MUST be cancelled in advance - a rule change in the past six months.

Second, the credits can ONLY be used by the person whose name is on the ticket.

Don't get me wrong, it is a viable strategy but not as good as it was three years ago.

Old 01-05-2014, 09:22 PM

14,969 posts, read 14,222,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
I was thinking that, if they really wanted to be there, they could book more than two flights as long as they were willing to spend some extra money temporarily only to have it refunded. Credits have to be used within a certain amount of time even on Southwest and I have no idea how often they travel.

Frequently walk-up fares (at least on most airlines) can be significantly more expensive than the lowest available refundable fare.

Old 01-05-2014, 10:12 PM

14,264 posts, read 24,009,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
I was thinking that, if they really wanted to be there, they could book more than two flights as long as they were willing to spend some extra money temporarily only to have it refunded. Credits have to be used within a certain amount of time even on Southwest and I have no idea how often they travel.

One year from the date of BOOKING. It is clearly stated on the booking confirmation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel