Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2014, 01:16 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times

Advertisements

Have you or anyone you know ever been compensated (or declined) through trip insurance? How did it go?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2014, 12:01 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,344,316 times
Yes!!!

My hubby went caribou hunting near the artic circle.

His friend and him both reached for their rifles at the same time......hubby got hit in the month....breaking a tooth off.

The insurance paid for a implant.....the bill was over $6000......they paid every dime.

Old 01-29-2014, 06:40 AM

729 posts, read 1,505,787 times
I always purchase trip insurance when traveling internationally. The first time I purchased it was when I was planning a trip and my stepfather was dying of cancer. He encouraged me to go and all was fine but the trip insurance would have paid for any change of plans that might have come up. On that same trip, the British transportation workers went on strike the day we were to leave. We took our chances and flew out anyhow but if that had caused our plans to change, trip insurance would have covered any extra expenses.

Old 01-29-2014, 09:14 AM

893 posts, read 886,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Yes!!!

My hubby went caribou hunting near the artic circle.

His friend and him both reached for their rifles at the same time......hubby got hit in the month....breaking a tooth off.

The insurance paid for a implant.....the bill was over $6000......they paid every dime.
That just sounds painful.

Old 01-29-2014, 10:38 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,954,920 times
We've taken it for all overseas trips, but have never had to put in a claim, fortunately. I generally opt for the policy through AmEx travel.

Interestingly enough, my son was spending the summer doing research in SA, and I wasn't aware that this trip was not being underwritten by his school, so he was not insured. Due to the area he was working in, I was concerned that he might need medical evacuation. I called AmEx, and was told I couldn't buy a policy after the trip had already commenced, but dependents of a gold card holder are automatically covered for evacuation expenses.

Old 01-29-2014, 11:51 PM

44,631 posts, read 61,620,191 times
Yes we buy it for our travels outside the US and on cruises. I had to use it one time as I had a heart problem 2 days before our cruise was to depart where I was hospitalized. Insurance reimbursed the whole trip costs. All I needed was a doctors slip.
I believe in the old adage "Don't leave home without it".

Old 01-30-2014, 06:40 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,729,623 times
When I booked a trip to Cabo a few years back for my husband and I as well as son and DIL I took insurance ( I always do..if you can afford thousands for a vacation you can afford $100 bucks for insurance).

It was the year the Swine Flu I think was running rampart in Mexico, all though no where near Cabo. My DIL panicked and had me cancel her and my son and they were reimbursed 100% minus the cost of the insurance.

Old 01-30-2014, 06:00 PM

3,379 posts, read 5,536,326 times
I have only had insurance for one trip so far. I tried to claim the money back on this same trip because I had a surgery that was suddenly arranged before leaving. Trouble was that they wouldn't let me have my money back because the original surgery had been scheduled earlier (after I bought the tickets, but still much earlier than my departure by months). Wound up going to Spain and Portugal anyways with a gaping surgical wound on my rear end.

Now I just assume they'll find any way possible to not pay it out and I haven't bought trip insurance since.

Old 02-04-2014, 02:27 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
I have only had insurance for one trip so far. I tried to claim the money back on this same trip because I had a surgery that was suddenly arranged before leaving. Trouble was that they wouldn't let me have my money back because the original surgery had been scheduled earlier (after I bought the tickets, but still much earlier than my departure by months). Wound up going to Spain and Portugal anyways with a gaping surgical wound on my rear end.

Now I just assume they'll find any way possible to not pay it out and I haven't bought trip insurance since.
You had a pre-existing condition, which is why they wouldn't pay.

Old 02-04-2014, 08:02 PM

3,379 posts, read 5,536,326 times
Yeah I know, but I'm still a combination of too cheap and too untrusting to ever invest in it again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel