Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2014, 11:34 AM

5,570 posts, read 7,273,813 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
This is simple. Reclining seats are a design feature of the plane. Guaranteed laptop space is not. There is no rule against using your laptop when the pilot allows it, but there is no guarrantee that you can do so comfortably if the person in front of you reclines their seat. It was like that with newspapers, too.
I do have a reasonable right to expect that my property will not be damaged while someone else is exercising their "right."

It all goes back to being considerate of one another.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2014, 12:32 PM

6,617 posts, read 6,544,435 times
It is mostly the carry-on bags that cause people to want to board early. I'd love to go without one, but usually my suitcase isn't quite large enough to carry everything. (ya ok, tell me to buy a bigger suitcase lol).

If you have tight connecting flights, then it is important to get an overhead bin above or very close to your seat. Especially if the plane is departing late, every second counts. I've literally ran with my husband through an airport to get a connecting flight. If our carry-ons were back behind us and we would have had to push backwards through the aisle to get them, we wouldn't have made the connection.

Old 03-24-2014, 01:31 PM

431 posts, read 474,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
This right to recline business reminds me of an uncle who insists he has a perfect right to fart, that it's a natural bodily function.

Indeed it is. He farts at the drop of a hat. That man can empty a room. He has a perfect right do so.

We all have a perfect right to think he is a horses' patoot.
sure you can leave the room, get as far away from him as possible or alternatively ENJOY IT lol
in the plane situation BOTH passengers are captive parties apples and oranges

much like posting a opinion in this chat room i can read it, reply to it , or ignore it i dont have to click on this site i have a choice .
i go to a concert pay for a seat the artist rattles on about ** politics . religion* etc etc WRONG im captive audience payed to hear music not a serman
example dixie chicks ...

Old 03-24-2014, 01:41 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,107,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
So you just get up a bit early and work back asking people to excuse you, and/or to pass up your bag. No biggie. Happens all the time.

This isn't rocket science and it isn't something to stress out about.
Hahahaha! This is the funniest thing I've read all week!

Old 03-24-2014, 02:08 PM

6,126 posts, read 10,108,604 times
I don't care - I would rather be the last person to get on the plane than sit there for an hour while everyone else boards. But it is annoying not to have any over head space for my carry on. I suppose there is no guarantee anywhere that the space above my seat is for my carry on, but I still think it's rude to bring such a large carry on luggage that you take up all the space. I get it though...when you have to pay to check a bag who wouldn't want to try to carry on? Flying stinks all the way around IMO.

Old 03-24-2014, 02:11 PM

11,760 posts, read 14,654,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Why were you cheering for this? That was incredibly rude of him.
What was rude was the person who grabbed the overhead space nowhere near their seat out of selfishness, probably because they had too many bags with them.

Old 03-24-2014, 02:15 PM

560 posts, read 751,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Your logic makes no sense. You believe you have the right to plunk your bag wherever you want. However, I don't have the right to move it? Who says?

Huff and puff all you want, but just because you believe first come first serve does not mean everybody house buys into that.

If you leave your bag in the waiting area, say to reserve a seat while you go get a latte or perhaps go to the bathroom, does this mean no one else has the right to move it and sit down?. Hardly.

Your sense of entitlement does not mean I have to buy into it.
Your analogy is flawed. So me putting my bag in a first come 1st serve BAG location that I am actively using is the same as trying to reserve a seat for later use?

My bag is actively in the designated bag area overhead. You want to remove it because you feel entitled to that space even though I got there first and the spaces aren’t assigned.

My bag in a seat designated for sitting trying to “reserve” that space for my later use is not same. Its still takes a bold self righteous person to remove someone else’s bag, but I can at least see the logic there.

Old 03-24-2014, 02:37 PM

723 posts, read 2,193,648 times
As already stated, it's all about the overhead. I don't understand why people bring these MASSIVE bags, multiples in some case, onboard and they barely fit into an empty overhead storage much less a partially filled one. I stuff everything I need into one of those Targus XL backpacks and have never had a problem stuffing it under the seat infront of me. Heck when I flew on Hawaiian recently I had the bag sitting upright infront of me and the FAs said nothing.

Old 03-24-2014, 02:42 PM

51,653 posts, read 25,819,464 times
Alas, I do believe that I am entitled to a space in the overhead compartment for my carryon. It doesn't have to be right overhead, but near enough that I can get it without disrupting the entire plane upon landing.

By the way, I got a kick out the post about how it was no big deal for folks up front to squeeze their way to the back looking for their bags once the plane lands. Can you just imagine?

I checked with a friend who was a flight attendant for Delta and another one who works for American and Googled various flying etiquette lists such as How to Practice Airplane Etiquette: 7 Steps (with Pictures) (see #2).

All agree that stowing your belongings in the forward compartment and then continuing on to the back is a d move.

Old 03-24-2014, 02:45 PM

5,570 posts, read 7,273,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emerald_octane View Post
As already stated, it's all about the overhead. I don't understand why people bring these MASSIVE bags, multiples in some case, onboard and they barely fit into an empty overhead storage much less a partially filled one. I stuff everything I need into one of those Targus XL backpacks and have never had a problem stuffing it under the seat infront of me.
Well, it's been explained numerous times in the thread, but a backpack is not sufficient for a business traveler. I have to carry my belongings with me because I cannot risk my bag being lost. But I put my rollaboard bag in wheels first (as they should go), so it only takes up 14"W of overhead space.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emerald_octane View Post
Heck when I flew on Hawaiian recently I had the bag sitting upright infront of me and the FAs said nothing.
They should have said something. That goes against FAA regulations which require the floor of the rows and aisles to be clear during takeoff and landing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel