Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2014, 12:15 AM

23,065 posts, read 28,778,528 times

Advertisements

I wish I wasn't so sensitive to unwarranted noise, as that's increasingly stopping me from visiting the more undeveloped countries. Just those 5 calls to prayers everyday, that would do it alone! I got a taste of that, staying in a hotel, in 1996, a couple blocks away from a mosque in Old Delhi, being awakened so early in the morning by those loud calls for prayer! And if it isn't that, it's the roosters crowing at 5 in the morning in Latin America!

I would love to see it, as I love desert-like terrain, with mountains, but I just couldn't handle all that noise, not just the calls for prayer.

I was planning a trip to Turkey, 10 years ago, and there was a travel forum, and one recent traveler, someone as sensitive to noise as I am, said: They seem to be increasing the volume of those loud speakers calling people to prayer!

That did it! Just for that reason, only, I didn't go! And those 33 decibel earplugs have failed me too many times!

Last edited by tijlover; 03-12-2014 at 12:17 AM.. Reason: Add line
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2014, 01:09 AM

5,899 posts, read 5,759,193 times
Not until the amount and percentage of people which have anti-Semitic views, anti-gay views, anti-transgender views, et cetera massively decreases there.

Old 03-12-2014, 01:58 AM
Status: "Repub's IVF ruling is anti-family and anti-America" (set 1 day ago)

5,782 posts, read 3,561,767 times
Would I ever visit Iran?

Sure, why not? Just because I find their government **** doesn't mean the people there are likewise ****. I'd want to familiarize myself with the laws affecting everyday behavior before, though. As for the comments about anti-Semitism, homophobia, etc., personalized attacks on the society, no matter how distasteful a certain aspect of it is - can EASILY be interpreted by the citizens of the said society as being an attack on their whole culture in general and in fact, only reinforce the narrow-mindedness of the general population - namely because the overwhelmingly vast majority of human beings will react defensively and defiantly at any slights (real or perceived) toward either them or their said country. If you are going to broach the subject, you have to be very subtle and diplomatic about it. As Wil Wheaton and Phil Plait said "Don't be a ****" (both videos of their speeches are on YouTube, and I highly recommend them).

I wish there were a quick fix to all that, but there's not. All we can do is live by example and treat others the way we want to be treated. This is especially true given I've concluded that bad interpersonal experiences between two people from different countries can ruin foreign relations on a governmental/global politics level at least as badly as any ___hat political leader.

Old 03-12-2014, 02:28 AM

4,541 posts, read 6,304,748 times
It's not high on my bucket list, but sure. Why not?

Old 03-12-2014, 02:48 AM

278 posts, read 275,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futurist110 View Post
Not until the amount and percentage of people which have anti-Semitic views, anti-gay views, anti-transgender views, et cetera massively decreases there.
So you never leave North America?

Old 03-12-2014, 02:54 AM

278 posts, read 275,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I wish I wasn't so sensitive to unwarranted noise, as that's increasingly stopping me from visiting the more undeveloped countries. Just those 5 calls to prayers everyday, that would do it alone! I got a taste of that, staying in a hotel, in 1996, a couple blocks away from a mosque in Old Delhi, being awakened so early in the morning by those loud calls for prayer! And if it isn't that, it's the roosters crowing at 5 in the morning in Latin America!

I would love to see it, as I love desert-like terrain, with mountains, but I just couldn't handle all that noise, not just the calls for prayer.

I was planning a trip to Turkey, 10 years ago, and there was a travel forum, and one recent traveler, someone as sensitive to noise as I am, said: They seem to be increasing the volume of those loud speakers calling people to prayer!

That did it! Just for that reason, only, I didn't go! And those 33 decibel earplugs have failed me too many times!
It takes a day of getting use to because it springs up on you, like in the afternoon. But if you keep a busy game plan of seeing/doings things you'll pass out from exhaustion by the time you hit the bed. Sleep right thru it. The only time I've been awaken by it, I was drunk in Istanbul and sleeping at a friends shop a rocks throw away from "the Blue Mosque". So extra loud with the windows wide open. Man I miss Istanbul

Old 03-12-2014, 05:33 AM

9,744 posts, read 20,666,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futurist110 View Post
While many hold these views, many Iranians, younger ones in particular, are actually surprisingly liberal and open-minded. For instance many young women will take off their headscarves when going to other countries.

Old 03-12-2014, 09:28 AM

4,361 posts, read 7,136,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ace587 View Post
I think Iranians are nice people its just their government is what kills it.
The same can be said of the US, when looking at it from a foreign perspective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
The Iranians that I have met have all been extremely nice people. But with the current regime, I would never visit Iran.
I work with several Iranians. All are great people. If one of them invited me to go, I would definitely consider it. In my conversations with them about their home country, I have found that they feel a lot of what we hear about is heavily sensationalized and Tehran-centric. With that being said, most people there are actually pro-west (including America) and want nothing to do with being a hardline Islamic state. From what they tell me, the regime is changing by attrition. The best thing we can do is be supportive of the younger progressives as they try to emerge.

Old 03-12-2014, 09:30 AM

16,433 posts, read 22,106,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post

Many people, including Americans, have had only good things to say about Iran, how friendly the people are, how most are welcoming and hospitable, how safe it is, it's beauty, history, culture.etc but obviously when most think of Iran they think of an Islamic theocracy, a possible threat...etc...While I still might be apprehensive to visit, I'd like to go one day.
I lived in Iran during the time of the Shah, and would welcome an opportunity to go for a visit again if the political difficulties ever abate. Isfahan and Shiraz in particular I can recommend.

Last edited by Bideshi; 03-12-2014 at 09:46 AM..

Old 03-12-2014, 10:43 PM

416 posts, read 809,006 times
I would be interested in going if I had a male companion who could go with me. But as a single woman, no.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel