U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2014, 10:33 AM

42,663 posts, read 74,221,895 times

Advertisements

During your travels, describe the event that you found at the time to be the scariest or most frightening?

Possibly a different question, what is the thing you did while traveling that was the most dangerous, even though you might not have been scared at the time, unaware of the possible danger?

I've had quite a few in both categories, but I have a tendency to travel with complete faith and optimism that whatever happens, I will come out of it with at worst, a great story to tell. They were things that would make most people's hair stand on end, I think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2014, 01:06 AM

3,402 posts, read 4,443,775 times
Last summer I was in Mexico City and arranged to stay with a local through Couchsurfing. I was given directions to wait at a specific 7/11 at 9 or 10PM to be picked up BY CAR. I waited and waited for a very long time, much later than the time i was given - probably by nearly an hour. But he eventually came and took me to his rather nice place. This isn't a really scary story but in hindsight, waiting for someone you've never met at a 7/11 in a grungy part of Mexico City after dark is an incredibly stupid idea. The drive from the 7/11 to his place was also long and daunting, which made me nervous once we were in the car.

The next night (after dark) I tried to return to his house by public transport but he lives far outside the extent of the metro and I had to take one of those colectivo busses to make the rest of the trip. I didn't recognize where to get out and ended up having to re-do the bus loop until getting off at some random spot and with no street lights. I had to call the house a couple of times to find my way back and I don't think I've ever been that frightened from just simply walking around. Once I found the house I couldn't even get in because there was a gate that needs to be opened from the inside and my host didn't know when I would arrive. I can't remember how I got his attention from out there, but when I finally got in he told me it's a good thing I didn't try to walk around the house because there is an armed guard hired to watch his property along with a gas station across the street. Apparently he'll shoot trespassers without asking questions. Not sure if that's actually true but yikes.

I have since made a new rule for Couchsurfing; I'll never use it outside of English-speaking North America or Europe.

Old 03-23-2014, 01:29 AM

37,949 posts, read 55,708,171 times
When I was driving (alone) to Monterrey few years ago, I was stopped in middle of nowhere by 3 armed military/police? who told me to step out of my car, and they searched it thoroughly. It was near dusk, and very little traffic. I was not allowed to ask questions at that time.
After they finished, they said there was some government VIP conference in Monterrey, and they had to stop and search everyone before entering the city.
I was little scared, but they were nice and courteous.
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Macon, Duluth, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 03-23-2014, 02:23 AM

1,078 posts, read 1,122,941 times
A hard cold case..

Old 03-23-2014, 05:16 AM

20,695 posts, read 19,501,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
Last summer I was in Mexico City and arranged to stay with a local through Couchsurfing. I was given directions to wait at a specific 7/11 at 9 or 10PM to be picked up BY CAR. I waited and waited for a very long time, much later than the time i was given - probably by nearly an hour. But he eventually came and took me to his rather nice place. This isn't a really scary story but in hindsight, waiting for someone you've never met at a 7/11 in a grungy part of Mexico City after dark is an incredibly stupid idea. The drive from the 7/11 to his place was also long and daunting, which made me nervous once we were in the car.

The next night (after dark) I tried to return to his house by public transport but he lives far outside the extent of the metro and I had to take one of those colectivo busses to make the rest of the trip. I didn't recognize where to get out and ended up having to re-do the bus loop until getting off at some random spot and with no street lights. I had to call the house a couple of times to find my way back and I don't think I've ever been that frightened from just simply walking around. Once I found the house I couldn't even get in because there was a gate that needs to be opened from the inside and my host didn't know when I would arrive. I can't remember how I got his attention from out there, but when I finally got in he told me it's a good thing I didn't try to walk around the house because there is an armed guard hired to watch his property along with a gas station across the street. Apparently he'll shoot trespassers without asking questions. Not sure if that's actually true but yikes.

I have since made a new rule for Couchsurfing; I'll never use it outside of English-speaking North America or Europe.
Thats why I really hate going to those foreign countries that don't speak English! They seem to be less secure and more worthy of weird things happening.

1. South of France - Villa was lovely but back door lock was broken while we were away and we were out sunbathing the next day and this beggar came and tried to get in.
2. South of Spain - Arrived at our villa. Took us about an hour to find it, we were in the middle of nowhere and we just drove drove and drove. Everyone we asked did not know where we were so we had to ring the people and thank goodness we did it then as our phones ran out of power just as we rang them. Then after that like every few nights we would hear random gunshots. It was so scary.

Everytime I stay in a non-English speaking place very very weird things happen.

Old 03-23-2014, 05:46 AM

35,324 posts, read 25,151,966 times
Nothing bad, weaving in and out of traffic on the back of a hired moped on Phnom Penh maybe? But that was fairly fun. Some of those crop duster flights in South America going into forest airstrips were a bit unnerving.

I love the adventure.

Old 03-23-2014, 06:13 AM

8,546 posts, read 5,371,964 times
Fell asleep at the wheels somewhere in very remote west texas along interstate 10 in the very early morning hours with no traffic. I was driving across country from san diego to south Carolina and was driving non stop except for gas trying to make good time. I guess fatigue finally set in plus those broken white lines against the pitch black darkness didn't help either. The car hit the side of the road and spun out of control all over interstate and off the other side. The car cabin was fill with the smell of smoking tire rubber and the engine stalled out. I thankful to be here.

Old 03-23-2014, 07:09 AM

1,764 posts, read 2,331,547 times
I can't post it in a public forum, but I was afraid for my life while driving out-of-state alone.

The second scariest event happened out-of-state (a different one) as I pulled into a gas station. I was not aware that it was closed down until I had turned in as the pumps weren't blocked off and the sun prevented me from seeing the lights inside weren't on. I turned around to go back out and a bunch of guys surrounded my car. I did not have an opening in traffic and would have had to run two of them over to get out anyway. They demanded my wallet which I threw out the window. I then just laid on the horn and floored it to get into traffic. I was shaken but not hurt. I finally reached my destination and had several messages from my boss (he was a crazy person that loved to yell and swear at everybody). I told him that I'm sorry I missed the meeting but I had been mugged about an hour outside of town. That shut him up for about two seconds and then he yelled at me for getting mugged. He truly was a psychopath, but I didn't take it personally because he was crazy to all the employees, including his own sons-in-law.

Old 03-23-2014, 07:12 AM

16,411 posts, read 26,220,997 times
I was in the extended cab of a truck with someone who ended up being a drug dealer.. didn't know that. I witnessed a murder. I thought I was a dead man.

Old 03-23-2014, 08:43 AM

5,420 posts, read 15,463,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
During your travels, describe the event that you found at the time to be the scariest or most frightening?
Waking up at midnight in Brussels with my first experience with kidney stones. I thought that my appendix was rupturing or something. Had to walk to the nearest hospital. I calmed down when they gave me that IV drip of morphine though
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or