U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2014, 09:03 AM

7,709 posts, read 16,175,431 times

Advertisements

It's now legal for Americans to travel to Cuba on cultural/people-to-people tours, though you'll usually pay a premium for that legality. Here's one group of many that does it:

Legal Travel to Cuba from USA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2014, 01:30 PM

60 posts, read 55,101 times
@beachmouse wow I'll have to take a look at it! Maybe it'll knock Havana off the list!

Old 08-20-2014, 07:23 AM

32,245 posts, read 33,154,579 times
The only continent that I haven't touched at all is Antarctica so I guess a cruise there for 2 weeks where one gets off the ship to visit various locations and see the wildlife in the summer months there.

Old 09-20-2014, 06:54 PM

4,114 posts, read 9,259,914 times
Wow...

British Columbia, Canada

Tokyo

Hong Kong

Singapore

Australia

Thailand

Argentina (especially want to see Buenos Aires)

Chile (especially want to see Santiago)

Germany

Spain

New Zealand

Central and Western Asia "loop": Astana (Kazakhstan), Georgia, Turkey

Texas (don't snicker, it really is a cool place)

Montana/Wyoming

New York City (with little side trip up to the Adirondacks and then way out Long Island)

Tokyo

Trans-Siberian Rail from Moscow to Vladivostok

South Africa (but with a tour group more than likely and not solo, safety is a real issue there)

Mexico City (probably has enough to keep one busy for two weeks, but then probably better with a tour group b/c of safety issues)

Did I mention Tokyo?! Oh...I probably want to check that city out more than any other one in the world.

Old 11-18-2014, 01:02 PM

4 posts, read 4,408 times
Alaska, specifically the Aleutians and the Norton Sound.

Old 11-20-2014, 08:05 PM

2,878 posts, read 1,834,060 times
Probably Jerusalem. I went there on a cruise, but it was only for a day and that wasn't nearly enough time to really see everything and take my time seeing everything. I'd take side trips to Tel Aviv, the Dead Sea and also Jordan since it's so close.

Old 11-22-2014, 05:06 PM

957 posts, read 1,319,042 times
Gotta be the northwest part of Montana- Yellowstone and Glacier parks. Not sure where I would "plant" for the trip, but that area needs much more in-depth attention.

....Unless it could be around Harvest in No. Cal wine country...then I would do an internship for one of the Sonoma wineries and be up at sunrise and dead on my feet by the end of the day...

Old 11-22-2014, 06:09 PM

2,935 posts, read 4,784,260 times
I am thinking of including a two week side-trip to Kenya/Tanzania into my next SE Asia trip this winter. Never been to the Great Rift Valley before but I have wanted to check it out for years. Probably 6-8 days of partying in Nairobi and Mombasa, and the rest checking out the regular tourists sites.

Old 11-22-2014, 06:20 PM

34,550 posts, read 41,708,762 times
Montreal and Quebec City

Old 11-23-2014, 11:59 AM

1,409 posts, read 2,363,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Not sure there is two weeks of stuff to see/do in Greece unless you are taking ferries to the various islands. Don't get me wrong, Greece is interesting and in parts beautiful, but I'm not sure that it would keep ones interest for that long.
That's hilarious. I was just about to post my list, which would include Crete, just one island, albeit a big one, in Greece. I could spend weeks and weeks exploring Greece. So much history, so many beautiful places, great food, people.

I think that for some big cities like NYC or even Paris, two weeks would be too long for me. Unless there were day-trips and frankly I wouldn't do daytrips from New York. Paris, yes. Now two weeks in London would be lovely. I've spent at most a week at a time in Amsterdam, and that was enough, although I'd love to go back--it's easy to explore other parts of the country from there.

Same for most big cities I think. I spent a few days in Bangkok this year and would not spend two weeks at a stretch there--too frenetic and hot, you need a break from that! Same with many cities.

So, my list, for two weeks:

- Greece, notably the Peloponnese and Crete (or perhaps Rhodes or Lesbos)
- northern Spain, along the coast
- Rome, Florence and in between (although "doing" Italy would take longer than two weeks)
- Rio with some day trips
- Amsterdam with some day trips
- Paris (ditto)
- Portugal (pick a region or two, and explore, or just base yourself in Lisbon)
- Japan
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or