U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 04-02-2014, 11:04 PM
 
3 posts, read 4,126 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

My Mother just returned from a two week trip to New Zealand today. When she arrived back home in the States it was pointed out that the page with her signature in her passport was ripped out making it invalid. She had no idea it was missing until they said something. Taking a closer look at it today, I also noticed that a second page was missing from her passport. The 2nd missing page had the stamp she was given when she returned from a trip to St. Lucia in 2009. Both pages are very clean rips obviously intentional? I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced something similar? My mother and I do not travel often so I'm not sure what to make of it. Should I be worried?
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-03-2014, 03:14 AM
 
8,644 posts, read 19,081,855 times
Reputation: 11500
No, you shouldn't be worried, but you mother needs to get a new passport. I travel internationally a lot and not once has my passport been out of my sight while going thru immigration...and if I saw someone ripping out my pages, Id be making a huge scene right then and there.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-03-2014, 05:38 AM
 
32,089 posts, read 32,986,776 times
Reputation: 14956
I have never heard of such thing. But as already said, I believe a new passport needs to be issued before any further international travel.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-03-2014, 10:58 AM
 
12,292 posts, read 18,413,572 times
Reputation: 19160
That's strange. Sometimes international hotel clerks like to hold on to the passport to register it while they are busy doing other duties. Trains also have this practice. That could be what happened, while it wasn't in her possession. Why anyone would want to rip pages out is anyones guess. Maybe to take a visa, but if this is just a signature and exit stamp I cannot see it.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-03-2014, 02:07 PM
 
3 posts, read 4,126 times
Reputation: 10
I just wanted to add that my mom was also told that there was not a stamp in her passport from entering NZ which should be there. That actually concerns me more. Could it have been on the back of one of the other torn pages? And is a missing entry stamp into another country a big deal? I was not aware of this when i initially made this post
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-03-2014, 02:13 PM
 
8,644 posts, read 19,081,855 times
Reputation: 11500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlasAtlas View Post
I just wanted to add that my mom was also told that there was not a stamp in her passport from entering NZ which should be there. That actually concerns me more. Could it have been on the back of one of the other torn pages? And is a missing entry stamp into another country a big deal? I was not aware of this when i initially made this post

No, it's not a big deal..my passport isn't always stamped upon entry.

You shouldn't let anyone 'hold' your passport unless they are a govt official...give the hotel clerk your driver's license instead and if they insist on your passport...find another hotel.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-03-2014, 02:26 PM
 
3 posts, read 4,126 times
Reputation: 10
absolutely, that makes sense. She had an issue upon arrival and forgot to declare and remove some fruit she intended on eating on the plane. they pulled her aside and detained her for a few hours and that was the ONLY time she says her passport was handled without her in plain sight of it. she wanted to be cooperative because she was nervous to learn what a big offense it is. She did end up with a $400 fine, but good thing a missing signature & entry stamp are not big deal?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-03-2014, 02:52 PM
 
12,702 posts, read 14,081,338 times
Reputation: 34805
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
No, it's not a big deal..my passport isn't always stamped upon entry.

You shouldn't let anyone 'hold' your passport unless they are a govt official...give the hotel clerk your driver's license instead and if they insist on your passport...find another hotel.
Hmmm, I wonder if you would get a room offering a foreign hotel an Oklahoma driving license. I seriously doubt it. Standard ID is the passport, but contrary to the old days it is usually just photocopied.

I did have a problem in Cyprus once not having an entry stamp. My passport was not stamped upon entry because a friendly immigration guy recognized me and shoved me past another line for Cypriots. When it came time to exit for a vacation the immigration guy wouldn't let me pass because I had no entry stamp that was not matched by an exit stamp (maybe he was a trainee, as there was another guy in the booth with him.) In the end they called some manager, who did let me go through.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2014, 03:21 AM
 
8,644 posts, read 19,081,855 times
Reputation: 11500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
Hmmm, I wonder if you would get a room offering a foreign hotel an Oklahoma driving license. I seriously doubt it. Standard ID is the passport, but contrary to the old days it is usually just photocopied.

I did have a problem in Cyprus once not having an entry stamp. My passport was not stamped upon entry because a friendly immigration guy recognized me and shoved me past another line for Cypriots. When it came time to exit for a vacation the immigration guy wouldn't let me pass because I had no entry stamp that was not matched by an exit stamp (maybe he was a trainee, as there was another guy in the booth with him.) In the end they called some manager, who did let me go through.

Ok..whatever...I'm just tell YOU that I've never, ever been asked by a hotel clerk to 'keep' my passport..in fact, as long as I had my drivers license and credit card, they didn't give a crap about my passport. (I've been travelling internationally for over 30 yrs and travel roughly 8 times a year)
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2014, 05:51 AM
 
32,089 posts, read 32,986,776 times
Reputation: 14956
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
That's strange. Sometimes international hotel clerks like to hold on to the passport to register it while they are busy doing other duties. Trains also have this practice. That could be what happened, while it wasn't in her possession. Why anyone would want to rip pages out is anyones guess. Maybe to take a visa, but if this is just a signature and exit stamp I cannot see it.
In China, hotels will not allow you to register without seeing your passport and a valid visa and entry stamp (as per Chinese law). The check-in clerk usually photocopies these pages.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top