U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2014, 05:37 AM

32,055 posts, read 32,956,580 times

Advertisements

Less than a 45 connection time is simply too short in my opinion when even 45 minutes is tight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2014, 05:42 AM

325 posts, read 425,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
I just booked a flight on Orbitz and it didn't show the time between flights until I got my itinerary. It shows I have 32 minutes to get to my flight after I arrive at Detroit.

Every time I have been through detroit the plane arriving from Nashville parked at concourse A and my departing flight left from concourse C. Should I try to rebook?
Even the crew needs an hour btwn flights. There used to be minimums at the nation's airports. For ORD and IAH it was 1:15; for LAX it was 1:30 - because of the mulitiple terminals. Rebook? Yes, if it doesn't cost you anything.

Old 04-06-2014, 10:14 AM

71,920 posts, read 83,566,150 times
Quote:
Unfortunately the flight I booked was for Thursday of next week so it was only five days away. I did get on orbitz chat and they assured me that I would not have to pay a fee. I guess I will have to wait and see.

I don't know why these airlines think that 30 minutes is enough time when the planes start boarding 30 minutes before departure. From recent experience people are SLOWWWWW getting off of planes for some reason and realistically I would only have about 15 minutes to make my way to the other gate.
you are right, 30 min is really pushing it, even if you are flying in and out of a small airport. Legally yes, the allow 30 min, in reality, anything less than an hour can be tough. I don't know how many times we have had just about an hour to connect (usually DFW which is very busy and large) we make the flight, but our luggage doesn't.

Old 04-06-2014, 10:27 AM

1,983 posts, read 2,632,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kees View Post
I don't book flights with anything less than a 90 minute connection anymore.
+1 for this. I've done too much running through airports to catch close connections, even connections that didn't appear to be close when first booked.

Old 04-06-2014, 03:17 PM

8,239 posts, read 11,104,689 times
What he said.

Old 04-06-2014, 03:37 PM

16,411 posts, read 26,220,997 times
DTW can be tough and sometimes a very long walk. I think a 32 minute connection could be possible, but also very difficult and risky. If you really like the time and are not flying first class, you might as well give it a try. You could miss your connection and theyll book you on the next flight out. If you're flying first class, I wouldn't risk losing your FC seat on a missed connection.

Old 04-07-2014, 05:22 PM

3,438 posts, read 4,727,955 times
Quote:
I just cancelled and rebooked through Orbitz for an earlier flight. I am wondering if I will have to pay a "change fee" to the airline. The woman I "spoke" to at Orbitz customer service didn't have very good english language skills. She did manage to communicate that I would not have to pay an orbitz fee however I am wondering if Delta airline will charge. I cancelled the trip within an hour of booking.

........." didn't have very good English language skills "

She really shouldn't be dealing with customers who fly in the US !

Old 04-08-2014, 04:01 PM

17,032 posts, read 26,863,598 times
No. Most planes close the door if your not on board 15 minutes before departure. Have at least an hour.

Old 04-08-2014, 04:20 PM

304 posts, read 856,350 times
For domestic, I try and give myself an hour minimum when traveling for pleasure...even if a plane lands on time, it's still gonna be 10-15 mins before you're actually off of it, even longer if you're sitting in the rear.

I will say that I set a personal record recently for connecting flights (for business)...landed at O'Hare from Beijing in the afternoon and was able to de-plane, walk/run to and go through customs, hop on the airport tram to the domestic terminal, attempt to change my flight (but couldn't at check-in because the flight was boarding and technically past it's departure time), go through security, run to my gate that was a couple hundred yards away, change my later ticket to that of the current flight at the gate and finally board. Oh and I was schlepping around a carry-on roll-aboard suitcase and a laptop bag the whole way.

All that in literally 18 minutes, cabin to cabin. Was hectic but beat hanging around for a 3 hour layover!

Old 04-10-2014, 02:43 PM

814 posts, read 937,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
No. Most planes close the door if your not on board 15 minutes before departure. Have at least an hour.
Especially the Legacies. Even when it's their fault you're running late for your connection because your previous flight was delayed.

Southwest, Jet Blue, etc., will usually hold the plane for a few minutes if they have a good idea that you're in the airport. I've seen SW hold planes for 15 minutes when they know they have connecting passengers who were on a previous flight that was coming in late.

Still, I agree with everyone else in this thread. Don't leave it to chance. I personally try to avoid anything less than 90 minutes. If it's a huge airport, I try to aim for at least 2 hours. If everything goes totally smoothly and your arrival gate and departure gate happen to be practically right next to each other, then you end up with time to relax before your flight - what's so bad about that? I've never understood why people intentionally budget so little time between flights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or