U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2014, 07:19 AM

2,456 posts, read 2,008,044 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteATL41 View Post
There is a time when Disney is the perfect place for a family with younger children. As a parent, you do it for the kids and enjoy the experience through their eyes. This is a brief period in the grand scheme of things. What I don't get is couples who what to go there on their honeymoon and wear wedding themed mouse ears!!!

To each his own. While growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional, and my husband and I are children at heart.

We work and are responsible adults. For our wedding we wanted something special and Disney provided it in spades. A lovely ceremony at Sea Breeze Point (at Disney's Boardwalk) complete with violin soloist, photographer, officiant, planner, cake, champagne, limo service...and just tons of ambiance. And no, Goofy was not the best man.

Wearing the ears afterward was just for fun. We got a lot of congratulations and well wishes and it was really nice to have strangers wish you the best.

We still love Disney. It's not for everyone and I get that. It's okay, leaves more room for my husband and me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2014, 07:32 AM

7,680 posts, read 16,098,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
We went to Disney during off-season--late May-first week in June. It was mid 80's most of the week, I think the longest line we waited in was 5 minutes, most rides we just walk up to the front of the line and got on.
May really is a sweet spot for visiting Florida in general- weather is reliably like that, and you're in between Spring Break season and summer vacation season so crowds are thinner and yet all the fun stuff is still normally open full hours.

The other sweet spot is in fall- October through early November depending on how far south you go- again good weather, everything's open, moderate crowds. The only down side is that it's hurricane season, and you may lose a day of fun to a tropical storm.

Old 04-07-2014, 08:00 AM

15,024 posts, read 21,732,170 times
It is very expensive, but if you go at the right time the lines aren't terribly bad. We did it for the kids, and they loved it!

Old 04-07-2014, 08:13 AM

2,992 posts, read 4,418,425 times
We were just there with the kids in February (Land, not World) on our vaca to SoCal. I think we waited in line 15 minutes on average. Yes, tickets are expensive and food is over-priced for what you get...but, we brought snacks for the day and ate right before arriving, so we had one meal from 10AM-8PM. It really was pretty enjoyable and the kids were really happy.

The list was kind of a joke, as it was basically expensive and crowded...a list of two things.

Old 04-07-2014, 09:01 AM

12,170 posts, read 10,349,101 times
File this under: Boring articles by Mr. Obvious

Old 04-07-2014, 09:13 AM

8,578 posts, read 5,972,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
....We like to vacation in the Ozarks of northern ARK and enjoy some scenery, with no lines and no stress and no large fees. We venture to swim spots where I let the kids jump in the water over their head from several feet up from a ledge and WITHOUT any life jackets and without having some Disney employee lecture me about a bunch of rules that are CYA in nature but ruin all of the fun for our kids by taking away all of their freedoms.

When we're tired, we go to a eatery that has great food but almost no lines, and we retire to a cabin that cost only about $70 a night, we drive right up to it without traffic enjoys, and our kids enjoy a fenced-in play area right next to our cabin allowing them to play outside without us having to "hover" over them every last minute. Moreover they can even roam to the pool where the owner's kids, aged 11 or so, hang out and they will let our kids just "free range" play with them without us adults having to supervise every minute of it, they're kids being kids in their own world, and the cabin owners not only are okay with that they even ENCOURAGE it.....
Your vacation sounds lovely!!

Old 04-07-2014, 09:14 AM

229 posts, read 519,533 times
If you don't like Disney, don't go. It's as simple as that. No need for people to attack those families that love to go- why would someone feel the need to criticize another persons vacation choices?? Strange. My kids are 22, 19, and 17, and still love it- so it's not just a thing for small children. We have made so many happy memories while there. And when my kids are all gone living their lives, my husband and I will go back on our own. It's a happy place for our family and I'm not going to defend that to anyone. We find ways to do it cheaper so it's not any different cost-wise than any of our other vacations- and yes, we do vacation in areas other than Disney. But Disney World is our happy place- get over it.

Old 04-07-2014, 09:28 AM

14,385 posts, read 7,918,717 times
We have friends that went to Disney World for their 25th wedding anniversary. They love it there. I've been wanting to go for years. John would rather pass. I hope some day to go but in the off season. I have a friend around Orlando but I don't think I can talk her into riding the roller coasters. I will get there some day.

Old 04-07-2014, 09:51 AM

6,040 posts, read 4,433,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vk40 View Post
If you don't like Disney, don't go. It's as simple as that. No need for people to attack those families that love to go- why would someone feel the need to criticize another persons vacation choices??
I totally agree in principal. I mean...nobody is putting a gun to your head to force you to go to Disney.

That said, there sometimes does seem to be a vibe among Disney aficionados that someone who simply doesn't LIKE Disney just doesn't get/understand Disney or that there's something wrong personality-wise.

FWIW I've been twice and personally think it's a totally average, non-special experience. My kids liked it a lot the first time but since then (and they've gone with others more that I've been) they're pretty meh about it too. It wasn't magical or life-altering for any of us at all; it's simply one of many "theme park" attractions that we consider every now and again. YMMV

Old 04-07-2014, 09:57 AM

5,574 posts, read 5,833,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
That said, there sometimes does seem to be a vibe among Disney aficionados that someone who simply doesn't LIKE Disney just doesn't get/understand Disney or that there's something wrong personality-wise.
And conversely, there's frequently a vibe among the anti-Disney crowd that anyone who enjoys going to Disney World/land is just mindless gullible sheep or there's something wrong personality-wise.

I don't understand why we all can't like what we like or don't like what we don't like without passing judgement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or