U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2014, 10:10 AM

15,891 posts, read 15,302,081 times

Advertisements

I love both World and Land. Both places are magical to me. I've never been to either with children. I'm partial to Epcot at Disney World. I took my mother and grandmother to Disneyland in the 80s and the real joy of it was watching their reactions to all the wonderful things. What great fun that was. I've got a picture of Mickey hugging my grandmother that is absolutely precious to me.

Yes, it is expensive. Yes, it can be quite crowded. Just thread the needle and go when the attendance is lighter. Save money for the trip. Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy.

If you don't want to go then don't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2014, 10:25 AM

8,578 posts, read 5,977,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
Yes, it is expensive. Yes, it can be quite crowded. Just thread the needle and go when the attendance is lighter. Save money for the trip. Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy.

If you don't want to go then don't.
Sums it up beautifully. All I can add is don't criticize those who like going to Disney; and don't criticize those who don't.

Old 04-07-2014, 10:28 AM

1,994 posts, read 2,638,622 times
What could possibly be the purpose of an article that could just as easily be entitled "A List Of Reasons Why I Disapprove Of Where You Like To Spend Your Vacation"?

Old 04-07-2014, 10:38 AM

9,219 posts, read 8,310,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
I haven't even read through the list, but we've never gone. The price, the crowds, the long lines, the kids. . . all good reasons to keep us away. (especially the first three)

Wish there was a true off season for Disney.
You can go to Disney September, October, and parts of November and find zero crowds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrolman View Post
Once I got to #13, I started laughing. My sister has worked at Disneyland for over ten years in a supervisory position and barely makes over minimum wage. Benefits? Pathetic.
Me too! Disney doesn't pay anyone well. They are one of the largest private employers in Florida and everyone knows they are notoriously cheap!

This writer is an idiot.

""The fact is that many people go to the Disney parks and actually hate the experience. Some of these people keep going back because of peer pressure.""

Many people do not go to Disney and hate it. WTF? And peer pressure? From who? No one in this day and age goes to Disney to impress the neighbors.

Old 04-07-2014, 11:01 AM

783 posts, read 833,736 times
To each their own, but I think disney parks suck. If I'm waiting in a line during a holiday, it is for a priceless piece of art or history. I recently visited disney paris and thought it to be a shambolic experience. The place is insanely overpriced, the food abysmal, and the accomodations severely lacking.
Absolutely not recommended. If you're a disney fan absolutely spend the extra and go to florida. Its also overpriced, but the staff are friendlier and yhe experience more authentic.

Old 04-07-2014, 11:20 AM

4,628 posts, read 4,470,900 times
I grew up in SoCal and remember when Disneyland was being built, (I was quite young, so don't remember all that much). As a child, and into my 20's and 30's, the place was magical, (somehow we always went home with "A" and a few "B" tickets. The "E" tickets were the first to go). Yes, I really could feel the "pixie dust". After my daughter grew up and moved on with her life as an adult, the place just hasn't been the same. I think it is because of the cost. With their latest price increase, I think the last time I visited the park will be my last.

Have never visited Disney World, but did go to Epcot Center once. I enjoyed that, by my wife, (or more correctly should say "ex-wife"), didn't care much for the exhibits. Epcot is like a museum, and I like to look at all the displays and read most of the placards. She did not, and I was rushed.

My most enjoyable time at any theme park in my long life was on a Thanksgiving Day at Disneyland. The crowds were pretty much non-existent. November in SoCal is a wonderful time, weather wise. Just about perfect. We had a fantastic, and reasonably priced, Thanksgiving meal in the Carnation Plaza restaurant. It was a very memorable day. (The next time I visited on a Thanksgiving Day, the crowds made it seem just like any other weekend or summer day. Just awful.)

Old 04-07-2014, 11:30 AM

5,574 posts, read 5,837,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
Have never visited Disney World, but did go to Epcot Center once.
Point of clarification ... if you've been to Epcot, you've been to Disney World. Epcot is one of the parks that makes up the encompassing Disney World complex (the three other main parks being Magic Kingdom, Animal Kingdom, and Hollywood Studios, along with Downtown Disney, a couple water parks, and a slew of resorts)

Old 04-07-2014, 11:35 AM

9,219 posts, read 8,310,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post

Have never visited Disney World, but did go to Epcot Center once. I enjoyed that, by my wife, (or more correctly should say "ex-wife"), didn't care much for the exhibits. Epcot is like a museum, and I like to look at all the displays and read most of the placards. She did not, and I was rushed.
You HAVE been to Disney World. Disney World is made up of: The Magic Kingdom, Epcot, Animal Kingdom, Hollywood Studios, and the water parks. I think you are thinking the Magic Kingdom is Disney but it is only a small part.

Old 04-07-2014, 11:47 AM

3,279 posts, read 4,082,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyLady View Post
Your vacation sounds lovely!!
It most certainly is. The kids actually enjoy it a lot themselves too. It is so free of all of that stress of waiting in lines, traffic, parking, long walking in a concrete jungle, and it is so much better to be able to just enjoy what's there without all the rules. Even city pools to me are too strict with how much freedom they allow your children to have, because they're mostly worried about CYA sorts of things, I want my kids to actually be able to venture and actually explore what's around them without so many restrictions. That there aren't huge crowds for them to become lost within helps a lot also.

When you get hungry, you can just go to a local mom & pop cafe and get some hamburger steak with gravy and vegetables etc, it tastes good and it doesn't take 80 million years to get it. When you get tired, you return to your cabin, driving on quiet and scenic roads, get your rest and then return to your attractions. Nowhere in any of this do you have to show your ID or worry much about stuff being stolen either from your cabin or your car.

And you get scenic shots like this one:

It's so much more quiet, easy-going, laid back, relaxing, stress-free, adventurous, and inexpensive, and you don't feel like you're missing out on any good things either. If others like their Disneyland "vacation," more power to them, but you could drop $5 million in my lap and I'd still not have the desire for any of it.

Old 04-07-2014, 12:04 PM

15,079 posts, read 19,024,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
I haven't even read through the list, but we've never gone. The price, the crowds, the long lines, the kids. . . all good reasons to keep us away. (especially the first three)

Wish there was a true off season for Disney.
Actually, I was thinking of Epcot, not Disney per se.

I went to Disneyland in CA when I was in my young thirties. I have no kids (not then or ever). It was a nice thing for kids, but as an adult, it just wasn't much fun. I always thought Epcot was more oriented towards adults, but maybe I'm wrong. Frankly, after considering the prices and lines, I just was too turned off to really research it.

However, I don't doubt that if I had kids or grandkids, my opinion might be VERY different. (But even then, I suspect I'd be headed to a Disney cruise!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or