U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2014, 12:17 PM

2,456 posts, read 2,007,346 times

Advertisements

One thing everyone keeps mentioning is the costs...but aren't most theme parks expensive? And considering what is offered in the way of entertainment/rides/shows/theming/etc. - doesn't that make a Disney park have more value?

I'll admit, I'm a bit of a theme/amusement park junkie (even if I no longer ride too many rides) so to me, Disney costs are comparable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2014, 12:50 PM

3,154 posts, read 3,060,480 times
I just went their recently and pretty much hated it, although not for the reasons listed. It's just that the whole thing has gotten so complicated that you have to spend months planning a week long vacation (like, 6 months, because you have to make dining reservations months ahead of time or you won't get a table), and so much of it is over-rated. The rides are just not that great, and a lot of Disneyworld is just a lot of themed store-fronts with nothing but the same old Disney souvenir junk inside. We went during a slow time - the slowest, really - so didn't have to deal with crowds or long lines if we planned carefully (it took about three days to figure out how to "work" Disney, though, and in the meantime we were either rushing frantically to something or waiting for something). It wasn't at all relaxing - it was like a full-time job for a week. However, my kid loved it and wants to go back. I think the second time around it would be better, but still something you do for the kids and not something fun for yourself.

Old 04-07-2014, 01:04 PM

14,190 posts, read 6,424,423 times
I just don't know how anyone can afford it w/kids. If I had kids, I'd do what my parents did. I'd go camping w/them & take them on road trips rather than spending a huge amount of money on some theme park that is overcrowded & overexpensive. No thank you. I did go there when I was 14, I went w/a friend & her parents & I really don't even remember much of it. Not impressed.

Old 04-07-2014, 01:31 PM

1,566 posts, read 1,781,801 times
I'm in the minority in this thread but I absolutely love Disneyland and would go there every year if I could. We usually go around November (this year we're going during Thanksgiving) and it's a perfect time. No long lines and the park is decorated so beautifully. I always go in the off season, it's definitely a place to avoid in the hot summer months. I don't find it to be overpriced. I usually just eat snacks there, before we go we have a huge breakfast that fills us up and we usually leave the park for dinner if we're staying until it closes. It's pretty easy to just walk out of the park and find some food. We stay at a hotel really close by and take the shuttle to the park. No parking fees.

I'd love to go to Disneyworld someday, that's on my list too. I guess I am one of those Disney freaks. But I can understand that it's not everyone's cup of tea. To me it's absolutely magical.

Old 04-07-2014, 01:52 PM

2,593 posts, read 5,286,635 times
I'm glad there are people who like to go to Disney World because (1) then I don't have to and (2) it's less crowded where I am. National parks, museums, stuff like that.

Old 04-07-2014, 02:21 PM

133 posts, read 127,348 times
As a Disney World enthusiast, I get really tired of these lists bashing Disney World and listing silly reasons not to go. It's almost as though the authors that pen these things are trying to make themselves feel better about not being able to afford to go, or at least trying to talk themselves out of it.

I myself am a Disney World lover, or, a "Disneyphile" as some would say. I go several times a year, have a yearly pass and am a DVC member. I have property close by but when we go we often alternate between the property and staying at one of the resorts. I've also been to the international parks. I guess you can say I'm fan, right?

I have enjoyed the magic of Disney since I was a kid. My parents took us a lot and I always enjoyed it. The characters, the princess culture, etc. Now that I am older I get to enjoy other aspects( The planning, selecting a new resort, making reservations for new restaurants- it's all so appealing to me), since DW offers so so much. That's the greatest part; there is something for everyone.

When I was pregnant with my son I was warned that there wouldn't be much time for trips and I'd have to cut back on how often I visited. Totally untrue- I go now more than ever now that I've had my son. He's in elementary school and he loves going. Like most kids, there's no place in the world he'd rather be. We share an intense love for the culture and we bond during trips. It's amazing.

If you don't like Disney then you just don't get it. Yes, it's pricey. Yes, the food is expensive. Welcome to the world of amusement parks. Yes, the lines can be long and it can be crowded. But you know what? It's part of the experience. And if you don't want it to be, go off season, get fast passes. The number one reason I see over and over again to not go to Disney is the cost. It's silly because there are loads of ways to save money. Trust me. Visit the disboards and there countless threads about how to save money, pins, upcoming deals, off season prices, etc.

Honestly, I don't think cost is the issue, not with so many ways to save. How lazy. I think the people that are bitter and can't afford it tell themselves and their kids how awful DW/DL is so that they won't feel bad about not going. Of course, that's not always the case but a majority of the reasons on that list aren't exclusive to Disney. All theme parks are crowded, hot, have long lines and overpriced food. I mean, please. DW actually tries to make accommodations and make it easier for families to enjoy the experience.

Please don't misunderstand me; I know Disney isn't for everyone and every family. I also know DW/DL isn't the only place families can go and have fun. We travel locally and internationally every chance we get. My son loves Hawaii, has seen Iceland and we've in a gondola in Italy. There are a ton of places to see. I just think it's silly to write off Disney for the reasons listed in the article. It can be a pretty magical place if you give it a chance.

I could be totally biased though.

Last edited by Frustrated Hippy; 04-07-2014 at 02:37 PM..

Old 04-07-2014, 04:31 PM

3,983 posts, read 3,252,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
May really is a sweet spot for visiting Florida in general- weather is reliably like that, and you're in between Spring Break season and summer vacation season so crowds are thinner and yet all the fun stuff is still normally open full hours.
That is interesting, not something I'd know. Guess I lucked out.

I have a slightly different perspective: Disney World as a single adult male. I've never been to Disney Land.

Bottom line: yes, there are things for adults to do. Yes, some of the exhibits (e.g. Hall of Presidents) are moving and tasteful. Yes, (many, most) others are for younger kids and a bit hokey. Yes, if you can enage your inner child, they've poured a ton of dough to give maximum "experience" to people of all ages, and I found that inner sense of wonder and turned it up a notch. Yes, some of the exhibits geared towards teens and 20-sometimes are quite fun, too, if you'll let yourself relax and enjoy it.

No, it isn't cheap, but neither did I find the prices outrageous in any way compared to similar vacation destinations. No, going on a weekend is a bad idea. No, wandering the hot Florida sun is a really really bad idea (during the summer). No, it does rain in Orlando from time to time, and one must deal with it. No, you can bet kids (and some adults) will get tired and cranky after a day or two. No, standing in lines is never fun.

Background to my experience, if-interested.

Went to Disney World in Orlando, May 2011, because a number of things in my life coalseced favorably. Mid-40s, single guy, not exactly Disney's target demographic to say the least.

My thoughts:

1) Second to last shuttle launch (STS-134 Endeavour) had been delayed once, this was second try, and that was my primary reason for visiting the area.
2) New job started following week, had time to kill with no worries whatsoever.
3) Recovering emotionally from a recent trauma (elderly father passed away suddenly). Time to wander-and-ponder definitely needed.

Disney World was my "backup plan." I figured even-money shuttle launch would be scrubbed again. If-scrubbed, I'd at least have several days onsite at something rather fun in FL. Looking back at my calendar, appears I flew on on a Friday night/Saturday AM redeye, stayed in Titusville FL Sat and Sunday night, was onsite six hours early for a good launch seat to see the shuttle, then spend 2.5 days at Disney World. Flew home really early Thursday morning. No way in hell would I push such a sechedule on any kids (or adult for that matter) not ready to do a LOT of grubbing around, getting up at 2AM, eating lousy food, catching redeye flights, etc.

Turned out the launch went ahead as-planned, AM that Monday. Will wonders never cease! That was spectacular, don't get me started on those details (OT). And yes, that positively-colored everything that came after. Like I said, Disney World was the frosting, not the cake, to my particular trip.

So I popped over to Orlando airport, post-launch, turned in rental car, hopped onto the Disney bus. They did a great job processing Disney guests at the airport.

(I personally don't see any reason to drive to Disney World, given the shuttles, but YMMV. Also, I spent a day prior to launch at the Space Center, spectacularly worth the time considering Endeavour was obviously on the pad and readying for liftoff. In fact they chased us all out a little early due to security for the following morning's launch.)

Back at DW: I went with "park hopper" passes to spend a half-day at each of the five parks. I'd pre-planned that well. I'm rather quick on my feet and wasn't hauling any(one) to slow me down. Not sure I'd recommend that for anyone with kids due to distances involved. May 2011 was 80F temps, and I'd keep well clear of central or south Florida anywhere around the true summer months.

Disney was a great time, in the aggregate. There were minor speedbumps, like mediocre (though not bad) food and the kitsch-factor. Too many details to list beyond that, the upside that is. I have no major complaints. It was anticlimactic compared to watching Endeavour lift off, a once-in-lifetime event, but still an absolutely GREAT time. Best vacation I've taken in a long time....but to be clear: everything, down the almost the last detail, pretty much fell my way (flights to/from Seattle, weather, activities, vehicles, a large rocket taking off, etc.) If more than a couple of those elements had gone sideways, I'd have a less-rosy view of it all. I'd sooner be dipped in honey and dropped on an anthill than wander the hot Florida sun for 2.5 days with kids under 10 years old, for example, but that's me.

Further, I'd avoid DW (or the Space Center) like the plague on any weekend in-season, too. Crowds were light to medium and entirely acceptable on a M-Tu-Wednesday early in the season. It was not "relaxing," the whole thing was an adventure and I personally spend enough time sitting around at home.

Nor will I ever set foot in DW again, or the Space Center, most likely. Unless they start launching more space vehicles on a regular basis, of course: always a possibility. That's the second time in my life I've been to DW (first was shortly after it opened, a c. 1977 camping trip with my folks).

Depends, though: what is your idea of an "enjoyable" vacation?

Old 04-07-2014, 04:36 PM

38,690 posts, read 89,178,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoEagle View Post
I like Disney World (haven't been to Disneyland) but I'm curious what the rest of you think.
Top 14 Reasons Not to Go to Disney | Viral Travel
I thought the first reason was stupid ("everyone else is doing it so you shouldn't"), but citing that Disney goes extra mile to keep the place clean and they pay above the region's prevailing wage and provide excellent employee benefits as reasons not to go is when I stopped reading.

Old 04-07-2014, 04:42 PM

4,490 posts, read 2,877,828 times
Everyone has something they really like that they do very often, so just chalk up Disney World/Land as another one of those things. I've been on a couple of cruises the past few years with family, and there apparently was another one. When I signed up for their rewards programs (even though I doubt I'll cruise again, it's free, so harm there), I was taken back at high steep some of the upper tiers of the rewards programs were. The cruise rep mentioned that there those have definitely already been reached. Some folks, even on the current cruise have already cruised with them 25+ times already! Some people loathe it, so just go with a group that does like it, and when reading opinions of it, not the biases and conclude for yourself accordingly.

I've been to Disney World somewhat recently when my parents, sister, bro-in-law, their kids, and myself got together for a family reunion. A bed and breakfast kept lodging to be a pretty good value (full house with 2 bathrooms, several bedrooms, full kitchen, air conditioning), all for only $100/night, so while it would've been nice to wake up, take the Disney tram to any of the parks right next door, a big of driving I'm sure save us huge $$. Rented a couple of cars, and got some decent coupon/deal for the park itself. Yeah, admission goes for about $80 to $200 a night.

Alas, the whole point of going to such a place IS to spend $$, so buy a bit of food, a few souvenirs if you wish, just don't go crazy and plop down $1200 for a 3' replica of some Disney castle made out of glass, metals, and crystals.

As for other amusement parks, they're definitely cheaper, especially if you can find discounts and season passes. Also, they're more spread out, so folks save lots of $$ by going more local, so they can avoid plane trips, and even lodging requirements. Whether if the savings here is worth it over Disney, or the lower cost and convenience of something like Six Flags is up to you. Hell, this still might be too much, so just buy an Ipad or a video game console and call it a day

Old 04-07-2014, 05:40 PM

9,197 posts, read 8,287,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rational1 View Post
I'm glad there are people who like to go to Disney World because (1) then I don't have to and (2) it's less crowded where I am. National parks, museums, stuff like that.
Just because people go to Disney doesn't mean they don't go to parks and museums. Ever try to get into the Smithsonian in July? Or see the view at the Grand Canyon? Packed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondebaerde View Post

Further, I'd avoid DW (or the Space Center) like the plague in any weekend in-season, too. Crowds were light to medium and entirely acceptable on a M-Tu-Wednesday early in the season. It was not "relaxing," the whole thing was an adventure and I personally spend enough time sitting around at home.

Nor will I ever set foot in DW again, or the Space Center, most likely. Unless they start launching more space vehicles on a regular basis, of course: always a possibility. That's the second time in my life I've been to DW (first was shortly after it opened, a c. 1977 camping trip with my folks).

Depends, though: what is your idea of an "enjoyable" vacation?
Actually since Saturday and Sunday are check in check out days, the parks aren't as packed as you would think on the weekends. Peak attendance is usually Monday-Wednesday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
I thought the first reason was stupid ("everyone else is doing it so you shouldn't"), but citing that Disney goes extra mile to keep the place clean and they pay above the region's prevailing wage and provide excellent employee benefits as reasons not to go is when I stopped reading.
Disney is notoriously cheap and pays no one well. I know people that have worked for Disney for years, they work one day a month to keep their free Disney perks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or