U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2014, 07:56 PM

7,728 posts, read 9,027,441 times

Advertisements

Interesting points of view on this. The peer pressure argument is interesting. Do those of you who have kids feel like there is pressure to take your kids to Disney parks?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2014, 08:29 PM

777 posts, read 3,402,176 times
Went to Land a lot growing up, back with the E tickets and all. Grad night was there too, and friends worked there. A few visits with the girls, and several trips to California Adventure when youngest danced in the parade. That said, I can't see going back unless (possibly future) g-kids want a one-time trip -- and we live near World now. Crowds/cost/lines/general cheesiness not really in our wheelhouse. Downtown Disney is more our speed.

Old 04-07-2014, 09:23 PM

178 posts, read 312,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoEagle View Post
I like Disney World (haven't been to Disneyland) but I'm curious what the rest of you think.
Top 14 Reasons Not to Go to Disney | Viral Travel

all these reasons are valid, but my main reason for not wanting to go to disney, is the fear of seeing miley cyrus twerking on goofy and donald duck in the teacup ride

Old 04-08-2014, 02:41 AM

1,316 posts, read 2,207,187 times
The funny thing is, I find those Disney collectibles for a song at yard sales.

Old 04-08-2014, 06:11 AM

4,164 posts, read 4,617,184 times
This list seems like someone just wanted to complain about Disney World because it's the cool thing to do and they wanted to fit in. Number 1 is because you hate Disney? Then why the heck are you even going? The Mickey ears and other hats are embarrassing? Don't buy them! The rest of the list basically just means you need to save up and actually prepare for a trip to Disney World rather than do it spur of the moment.

Old 04-08-2014, 06:17 AM

2,456 posts, read 2,008,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrudaluknglass View Post
all these reasons are valid, but my main reason for not wanting to go to disney, is the fear of seeing miley cyrus twerking on goofy and donald duck in the teacup ride

LOL! I think Miley and Disney have definitely gone their separate ways.

Old 04-08-2014, 06:23 AM

4,343 posts, read 7,989,318 times
So basically 2-3 reasons (price, crowds, simply no desire to go), but re-worded multiple times. Okay - fine, then don't go. I can also say don't go to the beach because its crowded, hot, and beach front hotels are ridiculous ($400/night at the Courtyard by Marriott). All are also true, but many people will also disagree. The point here is that Disney isn't forcing their vacation down anyone's throat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnseca View Post
I just went their recently and pretty much hated it, although not for the reasons listed. It's just that the whole thing has gotten so complicated that you have to spend months planning a week long vacation (like, 6 months, because you have to make dining reservations months ahead of time or you won't get a table), and so much of it is over-rated. The rides are just not that great, and a lot of Disneyworld is just a lot of themed store-fronts with nothing but the same old Disney souvenir junk inside. We went during a slow time - the slowest, really - so didn't have to deal with crowds or long lines if we planned carefully (it took about three days to figure out how to "work" Disney, though, and in the meantime we were either rushing frantically to something or waiting for something). It wasn't at all relaxing - it was like a full-time job for a week. However, my kid loved it and wants to go back. I think the second time around it would be better, but still something you do for the kids and not something fun for yourself.
Mnseca - I had the exact feeling going into such a vacation when we went in 2011. The wife spent almost as long planning the trip as we did our wedding. That being said, I was actually very surprised at how much I enjoyed the trip. It was certainly expensive, but DSY did things right in terms of transportation, service, and accommodations. In the end, I think the value was fair. We did not have to spend an extra penny if we didn't want to. Most places will still nickel/dime you here and there.

From the minute we landed in MCO, everything was pretty much taken care of. Got on the bus, checked in at our hotel, and was able to head right out to the park. The bags were in our room that evening. Buses were plenty every day to each park. The meal packages were great. And again, you can check-in your flight at the hotel and didn't have to deal with your bags until the baggage claim at the home airport. I think its these little things that made life much easier for a family. We were able to enjoy our times together without having the worry too much about logistics (other than making the dinner/show reservations).

In terms of rides, it's never going to be Cedar Point. But that's not what they'er going after. My biggest grips were with the patrons. Constant flash photography in the dark rides (i.e. haunted Mansion) when signs are everywhere telling you not to. And I wish they create a lane for scooters and don't allow them to mix with those that are walking. I saw multiple occasions where these folks almost ran some kids over. But I don't think these issues are unique to Disney.

But bottom line - they obviously are doing things right given their success. The first thing I did when I got back - bought myself a bunch of DSY stock.

And your last sentence says it all - its really for the kids...

Old 04-08-2014, 07:57 AM

2,932 posts, read 4,014,079 times
Given an hour, I could think of 14 reasons why not to go to any of the places I've enjoyed visiting. If the writer is so fortunate, I'll enjoy their eventual review of Heaven. Or....you know....

Old 04-08-2014, 10:57 AM

4,103 posts, read 4,273,738 times
I live in Fl and the only theme parks that I believe are worth their hasle/admission price are Bush Gardens, and Islands of Adventure. Islands has something for everyone and water rides. Bush Gardens has everything, amazing rides, water rides, an awesome zoo, a train if your tired, and good food. The rest are tourist traps that arent really that impressive. Sea World has let me down lately as the fish have started to look sickly.

Old 04-08-2014, 02:31 PM

783 posts, read 833,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macroy View Post
So basically 2-3 reasons (price, crowds, simply no desire to go), but re-worded multiple times. Okay - fine, then don't go. I can also say don't go to the beach because its crowded, hot, and beach front hotels are ridiculous ($400/night at the Courtyard by Marriott). All are also true, but many people will also disagree. The point here is that Disney isn't forcing their vacation down anyone's throat.

And your last sentence says it all - its really for the kids...
No they aren't forcing us. But it isn't the expense that is the issue, it is the value in my opinion. Many holiday spots are expensive, but for what you get, Disney Paris is literally shocking! The food is bad!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or