Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2014, 10:03 PM

1,607 posts, read 1,944,482 times

Advertisements

Once I got to #13, I started laughing. My sister has worked at Disneyland for over ten years in a supervisory position and barely makes over minimum wage. Benefits? Pathetic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2014, 10:24 PM

211 posts, read 301,851 times
I couldn't get past the first 7 reasons on the list. This is utterly lame. As a parent you're willing to get poop on your hands to keep your baby's backside clean. Standing in line and dealing with crowds so your child can experience the wonder of innocence is hardly the worst part of parenting.

Old 04-06-2014, 10:41 PM

3,279 posts, read 5,318,167 times
I know Disney isn't for me. I can't stand lines, to me the whole point of going on vacation is to completely 100% get away from every single thing in life that annoys you. Lines annoy me greatly, the LAST thing I care to do is go somewhere that has tons of them.

The main thing is I don't understand this Disney fixation of many others, as if there aren't many other things you can do for fun. We and the kids, ages 5 & 7, find plenty of fun things to do without having to have a pretend mouse wave at us. We like to vacation in the Ozarks of northern ARK and enjoy some scenery, with no lines and no stress and no large fees. We venture to swim spots where I let the kids jump in the water over their head from several feet up from a ledge and WITHOUT any life jackets and without having some Disney employee lecture me about a bunch of rules that are CYA in nature but ruin all of the fun for our kids by taking away all of their freedoms.

When we're tired, we go to a eatery that has great food but almost no lines, and we retire to a cabin that cost only about $70 a night, we drive right up to it without traffic enjoys, and our kids enjoy a fenced-in play area right next to our cabin allowing them to play outside without us having to "hover" over them every last minute. Moreover they can even roam to the pool where the owner's kids, aged 11 or so, hang out and they will let our kids just "free range" play with them without us adults having to supervise every minute of it, they're kids being kids in their own world, and the cabin owners not only are okay with that they even ENCOURAGE it.

It's as anti-Disney as they come, and I couldn't be more thrilled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by athithi View Post
I couldn't get past the first 7 reasons on the list. This is utterly lame. As a parent you're willing to get poop on your hands to keep your baby's backside clean. Standing in line and dealing with crowds so your child can experience the wonder of innocence is hardly the worst part of parenting.
Well pardon me for not wanting to be a sacrificial lamb and a masochist. Just because I have children doesn't mean my feelings stopped mattering. If anything, I prefer for me to continue to enjoy the activities I enjoyed doing BEFORE I had children and they can learn to tag along with what we're doing and make fun out of that. Where I come from, the adults run things, not the children, and when you grow up THAT is when you get to do what you want when you want. I'm grown now, so it's my turn. I like water sports a lot, so if you're a child of mine and hate the water, you're in for a long childhood, because I'm still going to the lakes and you can either find a way to enjoy it too or be miserable, it's up to YOU the child to find the joy in it. Again, don't like the water--when you grow up, you don't have to go. You're not the one working at a job to pay the mortgage and utilities, I as the adult am. (As it turns out, our kids love the water, in fact.)

Besides, children can experience the wonder of innocence in many ways, and it's utter ignorance for someone to think Disneyland has a monopoly on that. It's funny how we buy these toys for our children only to watch them enjoy the boxes more than the toys. Why are we trying so hard and spending so much money to entertain our kids? Kids don't need parents with a fat checking account and a high tolerance for nonsense (such as that you will deal with at a place like Disneyland) to have fun, all they need is a suitable environment and the right attitude.

Old 04-06-2014, 10:41 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,836,872 times
14 slides and it comes down to 'the Disney parks are crowded and expensive' which is like saying 'yes, it gets we when it rains'. I'm indifferent on Disney- have enjoyed going there when someone else is picking up the cost, but not enough to spend my own money to go there, even when they're running decent Florida resident discounts.

Old 04-06-2014, 11:16 PM

211 posts, read 301,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post

Well pardon me for not wanting to be a sacrificial lamb and a masochist. Just because I have children doesn't mean my feelings stopped mattering. If anything, I prefer for me to continue to enjoy the activities I enjoyed doing BEFORE I had children and they can learn to tag along with what we're doing and make fun out of that. Where I come from, the adults run things, not the children, and when you grow up THAT is when you get to do what you want when you want. I'm grown now, so it's my turn. I like water sports a lot, so if you're a child of mine and hate the water, you're in for a long childhood, because I'm still going to the lakes and you can either find a way to enjoy it too or be miserable, it's up to YOU the child to find the joy in it. Again, don't like the water--when you grow up, you don't have to go. You're not the one working at a job to pay the mortgage and utilities, I as the adult am. (As it turns out, our kids love the water, in fact.)

Besides, children can experience the wonder of innocence in many ways, and it's utter ignorance for someone to think Disneyland has a monopoly on that. It's funny how we buy these toys for our children only to watch them enjoy the boxes more than the toys. Why are we trying so hard and spending so much money to entertain our kids? Kids don't need parents with a fat checking account and a high tolerance for nonsense (such as that you will deal with at a place like Disneyland) to have fun, all they need is a suitable environment and the right attitude.
O...k...easy now. You bring up your kids the way you deem appropriate and I'll bring up my kids the way I see fit. This thread is about whether Disneyworld is worth it or not. To you, it's not. To me, it is. Doesn't make either one of us the better or worse parent. Cheers!

Old 04-06-2014, 11:25 PM

4,792 posts, read 8,188,709 times
We went to Disney once the last week in August. Doing it as a treat before school started. Never again. Too hot! Too crowded! After a long hot summer the employees seemed stressed. I did not get that feeling with Sea World. We have returned there and Universal Studios a few times.

Old 04-07-2014, 02:39 AM

5,511 posts, read 4,475,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoEagle View Post
I haven't had these problems either. I found the last one strange. Why would you do to Disney World if you hated Disney? You wouldn't go to the reptile exhibit in a zoo if you hated snakes.
I'm going to guess that parents and friends of parents get roped in by their kids, and other peer pressure.

Old 04-07-2014, 04:32 AM

403 posts, read 619,657 times
There is a time when Disney is the perfect place for a family with younger children. As a parent, you do it for the kids and enjoy the experience through their eyes. This is a brief period in the grand scheme of things. What I don't get is couples who what to go there on their honeymoon and wear wedding themed mouse ears!!!

Old 04-07-2014, 05:38 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,303,679 times
We went to Disney during off-season--late May-first week in June. It was mid 80's most of the week, I think the longest line we waited in was 5 minutes, most rides we just walk up to the front of the line and got on. I got a discount code so we spent 8 days there, at Animal Kingdom Lodge, 5 people for about $4000 which included everything--flights, transportation to the park (rental car), lodging, park tickets, food, etc. It wasn't really any more expensive than other trips we have taken. We had a lot of fun. It's not some place that we would go every year like some people do, but if you don't go during the summer, Christmas or spring break/Easter, it's not that bad. We were there many years ago for a work trip in early January and there was hardly anyone in the parks then.

If you don't like it, don't go..it's pretty simple.

Old 04-07-2014, 06:22 AM

16,669 posts, read 17,433,087 times
As beachmouse said, it did not need fourteen slides to convey the intended message.

Now that my daughter has grown up we wouldn't go back to Disney but have had fun there over the years.

We've been to Orlando maybe half a dozen times over the years and have visited all the Disney parks.

At the time they were fun, and I especially liked EPCOT.

Sure they are expensive- factor in a transatlantic flight as well- but all three of us enjoyed the vacation as well as the non British weather.

There are ways of minimising the problems associated with the lines.

First, put your kid in a British school in the US so that their breaks are at a different time from the US schools.

Second, get a book called The Brits Guide To Orlando And The Theme Parks by Simon Veness. In it he gives guides as to the quietest days at each of the main attractions. It works.

There is also a very simple tip on how to give yourself a better chance of getting in the shorter or shortest line should there be a choice, and believe me it works. It costs nothing and is nothing to do with Fast Track passes.

It is so simple you would not believe it and it does not involve jumping lines or anything else that would cause offence to anyone.

Send me a check and I'll pass it on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel