U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2014, 08:15 AM

1,178 posts, read 1,376,900 times

Advertisements

Ok, so im fed up with the fluctuations in airfares and we are seriously considering driving to central Florida from the hudson valley, NY. We have a 6 year old + a 20 month old. Thoughts, advice , recommendations from those that have dared this journey with young children greatly are appreciated. Google says about 1,170 miles, 18 hours. I will stop somewhere overnight, and id like to be at least past the halfway point when i stop for the night, whereever that may be.

Am i making a mistake by even considering this ??? I know its cheaper then flying and im not at the will of the airline...but still

18 hours ??!!??

Thanks in advance for everyones help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2014, 08:50 AM

34,454 posts, read 41,569,541 times
If you want to get the bulk of the driving out of the way on the first day i'd suggest leaving early like 3am. many people drive to Florida from the north,its not a big deal..
Stopping around the Savannah area would make for an easy drive on the second day...

Old 04-07-2014, 08:53 AM
PDD

8,774 posts, read 14,897,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sithlord72 View Post
Ok, so im fed up with the fluctuations in airfares and we are seriously considering driving to central Florida from the hudson valley, NY. We have a 6 year old + a 20 month old. Thoughts, advice , recommendations from those that have dared this journey with young children greatly are appreciated. Google says about 1,170 miles, 18 hours. I will stop somewhere overnight, and id like to be at least past the halfway point when i stop for the night, whereever that may be.

Am i making a mistake by even considering this ??? I know its cheaper then flying and im not at the will of the airline...but still

18 hours ??!!??

Thanks in advance for everyones help.
18 is not doable no matter what the speed freaks tell you. About the best you can average is about 55 MPH (I said average) which equates to 21+ hrs. Those who try to do it with only gas breaks are the ones we read about on the nightly news when they fall asleep and crash.

You should stop at least every two-three hrs for a quick stop to stretch your legs and pee.

Drive 12 hrs the first day and stop overnight near the NC, SC border and then 8-10 hrs the second day.

Old 04-07-2014, 02:16 PM

4,248 posts, read 8,102,125 times
^^^ +1 with PDD's opin above.
And, if the OP is rolling out of Hudson Valley area, say Warwick or Tuxedo, you know you that unless you depart very early, you will be driving in serious morning traffic from NY/NJ line south through below DC...

Not undoable, but it will be a not fun two days, esp with the kiddoes; arriving in 'central FL', you may be in need of a vacay, no pun intended.

And, I seem to recall the OP's car post, so I hope your car is fixed and running well.
GL, mD

Old 04-11-2014, 12:27 PM

218 posts, read 276,561 times
Last August my best friend and I (we're in our mid-20s) drove from the heart of NYC to Downtown Orlando in 17 hours (6 a.m. to 11 p.m.) with a few gas station, food, and bathroom breaks. So it can be done quickly.

The key is getting away from that New York-Jersey traffic. Once you do that you're pretty much in the clear barring some strange D.C.-Virginia traffic.

If you're going to stop overnight somewhere I'd say somewhere near Virginia and North Carolina. And always do the speed limit in Georgia. Always.

Old 04-16-2014, 10:46 AM

126 posts, read 166,492 times
Put the kids in the car around 3-4 am and drive at least until Baltimore or Quantico, VA if you can. The kids should still be sleeping. This should get you through the dreaded traffic areas. Expect VA to be heavy and stop for the night in NC - maybe Rocky Mount unless you can make it to SC. This should put you about half way. The second half should be much better than the first since there are no tolls, etc. Be very careful speeding though Georgia and expect some construction on 95 once you get into Florida. Pack snacks, videos, etc. I had some contraption that strapped to the back of the front seats and opened into a mini desk and my kids were able to color, etc.

Old 04-16-2014, 02:51 PM

20,793 posts, read 54,041,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by conigam View Post
Put the kids in the car around 3-4 am and drive at least until Baltimore or Quantico, VA if you can. The kids should still be sleeping. This should get you through the dreaded traffic areas. Expect VA to be heavy and stop for the night in NC - maybe Rocky Mount unless you can make it to SC. This should put you about half way. The second half should be much better than the first since there are no tolls, etc. Be very careful speeding though Georgia and expect some construction on 95 once you get into Florida. Pack snacks, videos, etc. I had some contraption that strapped to the back of the front seats and opened into a mini desk and my kids were able to color, etc.
That is what we did when the kids were little, seemed to make the trip feel faster too to start out in the dark.

For longer road trips I would pack a box of toys--plastic shoe box size box--all new, usually stuff I found on clearance. Every 30 minutes or hour they could pick out one thing from the box--I would wrap them in wrapping paper--and play with that. Kept them entertained for hours. They always got a new coloring book and new box of crayons too. I had lap desks for them to use in the car too. They had a cup holder in them too so that was handy.

Books on tape were good too but we eventually got a DVD player for the car as well. I used to have a book of all of the McDonald's playlands--before the internet. Now I would check out town parks, etc. along the way if I were traveling with small children. I would probably plan a lunch stop at a nice park, let the kids run for however long, eat lunch and then continue on knowing they would be asleep for a nap shortly after playing and eating .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or