Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2014, 08:06 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,871,739 times

Advertisements

Italy probably : noisy, overcrowded, rude people, and I just don't like the sound of Italian !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2014, 01:43 PM

5,249 posts, read 3,607,512 times
I've never gone to any country that I didn't want to revisit again & I've been to around 30 (but I've never been to the mid-east which I suspect could change that feeling).

I wonder if it has to do partly with individuals' different capacities/value for curiosity & desire for novelty?

I'm frankly hardpressed to name my least favorite country, probably India, but I didn't realize I was getting very sick when I hurriedly left there... very sick. But I think I would give it another shot.

Old 04-24-2014, 08:28 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
I'm frankly hardpressed to name my least favorite country, probably India, but I didn't realize I was getting very sick when I hurriedly left there... very sick. But I think I would give it another shot.
I've heard from one of the more candid tourist guides that Westerners, or at least first-time Westerners, need to budget at least 10 days in India because they're going to spend day one recovering from the long travel and they're likely going to spend days 3 and 4 with a raging case of "Delhi Belly" and consequently you'll only really be able to start devoting serious time to doing tourist-y things on day 5 or 6.

Old 04-27-2014, 10:32 PM

2,982 posts, read 4,099,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
That's a bit extreme, especially since I take it you've never been there. But I assume you feel the same way about Chicago since it is also corrupt and unsafe.
I think it is a little silly to compare Chicago with Mexico. Mexico is a corrupt country with an ongoing drug war that is spinning way out of control. The cartels run a great deal of the country, violent crime, murders and outright massacres are an everyday part of life, law enforcement is lackadaisical at best and two of the 10 most dangerous cities in the world are located within its borders. Chicago, by comparison, has a gang problem and did not even crack the top 50 most dangerous cities list.

It's not like Chicago is at the top of my list of places to visit anytime soon, but I would certainly feel safer travelling there than I would in Mexico. At least if something should happen to you in Chicago, you can expect the police to investigate. In Mexico, you are basically on your own. That's not exactly a comforting feeling when travelling in a corrupt, crime ridden Third World country. IMO, Mexico has far too many horror stories spilling out of its borders to justify the risk of travelling there, especially when there are much safer destinations that offer the same experience.

Old 04-28-2014, 08:16 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,142,138 times
I don't like Germany, and could give it a miss. Except for Bavaria, which was great.

Old 04-28-2014, 09:18 PM

2,218 posts, read 3,452,784 times
I am lucky enough to be able to travel extensively. I am rather shocked to see how many here do not like Paris. We were there last week....it was just lovely. Between our little bit of French and their little bit of ENglish, we did fine. Of course, tourist-y places like Notre Dame and Sacre Coeur, etc will be crowded and rather unkempt, but just about everywhere else is lovely.

The places I dont think we will ever return..

Duabi..umm, they really, really dont seem to like Americans

Egypt..pushy, dirty and rude people

Jamaica...very aggressive, pushy, dirty

Australia (yes, really!) We have gone to Sydney, Caines, Perth and Darwin over several separate visits. While we loved the people, scenery, etc, the prices were just unbelievable. I mean something like $250/night for what was the equivilent of a Motel 6, cup of coffee $6, etc. It is a wonderful country, but be prepared to spend a LOT

Fiji..a beautiful country with nice people but the beaches were not very nice, prices were pretty high and it was rather hard to get there and back

Las Vegas...too loud, busy and overall gave us a sense of people trying too hard to have fun. I should say though, we are not fond of gambling.

Old 04-28-2014, 10:59 PM

26,272 posts, read 8,427,959 times
I generally like where I visit on holiday. Some places like Rhodes in Greece, I have visited many times. The one country where one visit was enough for me was Italy. We stayed in a hotel in Sorrento. The place was very expensive, and the hotel was a nightmare. I could write a page full about it. Enough to say it put me off ever going back to that country.

Old 04-29-2014, 04:09 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,871,739 times
I am lucky enough to be able to travel extensively. I am rather shocked to see how many here do not like Paris. We were there last week....it was just lovely. Between our little bit of French and their little bit of ENglish, we did fine. Of course, tourist-y places like Notre Dame and Sacre Coeur, etc will be crowded and rather unkempt, but just about everywhere else is lovely.
Now that is interesting. People who follow me on this forum sometimes say that I'm a Paris basher. Well, fact is, I do live in Paris, so I talk of what I know. And those who ctiticize me will be surprised by what I'm going to say now. A few weeks a go I did a sunday stroll near the Sacré Coeur and Montmartre and I was flabbergasted at the cleanness of the place! sincerely, it's the first time in half a century that I didn't step into dog poo and didn't see some strewn garbage here and there. I guess Mayor Delanoe did a good job after all!

Old 04-29-2014, 04:28 AM

2,218 posts, read 3,452,784 times
I am smiling. We went to Montmartre and everywhere we walked there was dog droppings. The French love their "chien", but the dont love picking up after them. Over all though, Paris WAS cleaner than it used to be.

Old 04-29-2014, 06:11 AM

43,646 posts, read 44,375,612 times
I don't know of any countries that I have visited that I wouldn't visit again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel