U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2014, 07:59 AM

4,723 posts, read 13,920,313 times

Advertisements

Not surprised at China, but Switzerland and Tibet were at the top of my visiting wish list.
Very sorry to hear this and disappointed.
Also agree about not giving a bad rap for all of Mexico. I know several people who live in Ajijic several months of the year and hate to leave. Lovely local people, beautiful weather, large lake, beautiful views,great inexpensive dental work, very safe,great restaurants and most importantly, $3 margaritas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2014, 08:28 AM

12,581 posts, read 15,050,467 times
China, (Paris) France

Old 04-11-2014, 09:51 AM

35,324 posts, read 25,165,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by graceC View Post

Then the miserable and tortured elephants I saw in Thailand that the people used for tourist attractions.

Saw some of this in Cambodia at the major temples. Ugh.

Every time I've done a place like that (there haven't been many times) I come back emotionally exhausted and often while I was there I wanted to get out... but the stories are something and I'm glad I have them.

Old 04-11-2014, 09:51 AM

1,201 posts, read 800,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TotallyTam View Post
I would return to all countries I've visited so far, which includes Mexico, England, France and Canada. A lot of people have mentioned crossing Mexico off their travel list. I have had excellent experiences there.

I have been to Mexico (all over) at least 20 times since the 80s and, in fact, live in Mexico City for six months of the year (have done this for the past four years). Never once have I had a problem with anyone. Tip: Treat people with dignity, respect and courtesy. Smile and try to communicate in their language. I have seen too many American tourists treating the Mexican people like dirt. This is especially true of young, white males drinking at bars and discos, getting uncontrollably drunk, and being mouthy and incredibly rude to the Mexicans. Disgusting. I friggin' hate these types of travelers.

I had no problem with the mexican people or Mexico, Had a great time. Its just everytime I went I came home sick for a week or two.

Old 04-11-2014, 12:56 PM

15,069 posts, read 19,002,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Thailand. Was there twice, total of five weeks, to every corner of the country, and just didn't like the Thai people, nor their disregard for their natural features. They are loud and rude and at times intentionally unpleasant, and the countryside is basically ugly, for the most part. Food was good, but that's about it. As big cities go, Bangkok was actually pretty nice, but I only endure cities when I have to.

I can't think of any reason I'd like to go back to Spain, either.
How strange. When we visited Thailand, from Bangkok to the north, we found the people to be the kindest, gentlest souls we've ever encountered. Helpful and resolutely pleasant. Loud and rude are words I would never have associated with Thailand (except that the Asian languages typically sound loud to English speaking people).

Bangkok was the least attractive and friendly place during that visit, but I agree with you that we prefer to spend out time away from large cities. Still, as compared to other large cities we've been to and felt like unwelcome intruders (like Barceona), Bangkok was lovely.

How interesting it is that we all come back with different opinions of our experiences.

Old 04-11-2014, 01:20 PM

1,716 posts, read 1,587,764 times
Mexico.

Old 04-11-2014, 03:14 PM

7,910 posts, read 5,034,051 times
Bangalore, India. Unsanitary conditions, locals who despise westerners but crave their money, lack of infrastructure, horrendous traffic, staggering contrast between rich and poor, strident and sanctimonious vegetarianism, siege-mentality of houses and buildings of any type surrounded by fences (and often armed guards), stifling climate, desultory and needlessly hectic cadence of life, and lack of cultural amenities.

Old 04-11-2014, 03:52 PM

20 posts, read 20,576 times
Jamaica. Awful, awful tourist trap. Yes, I know when you're traveling you're going to run into these. But building layouts were intentionally designed to get lost, bus drivers would intentionally swap out and both would ask for tips, and even on resorts you'd get peddlers coming on to the property to harass you.

Old 04-11-2014, 06:55 PM

681 posts, read 1,329,590 times
The Netherlands - specifically Amsterdam.
Anne Frank house was fascinating and I loved the museums - but everything else was just not that appealing to me. No need to go back.

I am surprised by everyone mentioning Mexico and Jamaica. I had great experiences in both countries (multiple visits to Mexico and only once to Jamaica). I found the locals gracious and helpful in both countries.

Is everyone who is commenting on these countries staying at all-inclusives? Or arriving on a cruise ship? Or are you really "travelling" the country.

Old 04-11-2014, 07:02 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,274,733 times
It might also make a difference whether you visited a big city or smaller towns. I know Paris's reputation for rudeness, and I saw none of that in rural SW France.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or