U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2014, 07:44 PM

90 posts, read 104,682 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
I never say never but I don't trust the people or the government of Mexico. There are places there I would like to see but their corrupt country is not a safe place to visit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
I've been to Mexico and Chicago and I'd go back to Chicago.

We drove in a caravan from El Centro, CA to San Felipe, MX. Several times we were stopped by men with machine guns. We were warned not to drive back alone as people disappeared.

This was ten years ago, and as far as I can tell things haven't gotten any better.
I've witnessed crime in several countries but Mexico is the only place where I was actually held up by cops.

Won't mind if I never go back to another tropical and/or third-world nation.

YMMV!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2014, 08:02 PM

681 posts, read 1,329,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Respondent View Post
I've witnessed crime in several countries but Mexico is the only place where I was actually held up by cops.
We were held up by the cops in rural Gautemala - not unique to Mexico!

We gave them a bottle of very warm red wine (that's all we had - it had been stewing in the trunk for 3 days in 30 degree C heat) and they let us go. We drove away VERY quickly towards the Belize border because if they managed to get it open and actually drank it they would definitely have hunted us down and killed us! LOL

I can laugh about it now... but while I'm at it.. think I would add Gautemala to the list of countries I wouldn't return to as this wasn't the only "incident".

Old 04-11-2014, 09:10 PM

15,530 posts, read 13,519,456 times
While there are a few I would not go out of my way to visit, only very few I will not go to again.

India - though not boring, just dirty and annoying, one large headache, felt like a vacation when I finally left.
Egypt (was there pre-revolution) - not boring, but the people are just annoying as heck.

There are others, but the thread called for "popular" destinations. I think overall, I am just tired of the third world thing, it lost its uniqueness with me a long time ago.

Others I will not mind never going again, but would not purposely avoid them;

China, Italy, Japan, Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos, and Malaysia (though maybe a couple of those are not "popular".)
Nothing wrong with them, except a few exhibit the third world traits which I find annoying, and the others like Japan I jsut do not have an interest in.

Old 04-11-2014, 09:51 PM

11,263 posts, read 8,421,299 times
Ya never know....

Old 04-12-2014, 12:44 AM

6,353 posts, read 5,157,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanannie View Post
Not surprised at China, but Switzerland and Tibet were at the top of my visiting wish list.
Very sorry to hear this and disappointed.
Just ignore the Switzerland haters and go. It's the most beautiful country I've ever visited. The Swiss a little stiff and formal compared to loosey-goosey Americans, but are very polite and helpful, and they've managed to snag the most desirable piece of real estate on the planet.

Old 04-12-2014, 01:22 AM

90 posts, read 104,682 times
Agreed. Switzerland is spectacular, though the people (as stated above) are sometimes a tad Germanic in their appreciation for things like order, competence, and precision.

Old 04-12-2014, 03:01 AM

7,907 posts, read 5,031,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Respondent View Post
Won't mind if I never go back to another tropical and/or third-world nation.
That's a good summary. We in the 1st world tend to fantasize that the 3rd world is more natural, pristine, genuine; it's blissfully free of the hackneyed packaging and pretense that dominate our workaday lives; and it's inexpensive as well. All of these fantasies are largely false. While of course there are variations from nation to nation, the poverty of the locals is in inverse proportion to exploitation and bamboozling of the tourists.

In the 1st world, the rudeness of the locals is a minor nuisance, not an actual danger. Being ignored or mocked for not speaking fluently the local language is not the same as being held-up by the local constabulary, surrounded by a cloud of thieves, physically threatened and so forth. If the cabbies are rude and the restaurants tack on a 20% "surcharge", these are minor blows to one's dignity, and perhaps an unavoidably concomitant to travel in unfamiliar places. But in undeveloped nations, where the line between survival and perishing is thin, the luxury of leisurely study and genteel entertainment - that is, for tourists - is typically unattainable. It might be worthwhile to visit once, to gaze upon the star-sights and to be able to say that one has indeed seen them. But only once.

Old 04-12-2014, 03:49 AM

4,557 posts, read 5,120,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ListenandLearn View Post
May I ask, what's wrong with Switzerland?
As I mentioned earlier:

1. Too similar to Austria: Mountains, skiing, lots of medium sized cities. Skiing (which I love) is ridiculously expensive in SUI. Better (and cheaper) places to ski would be Südtirol (!), France and Austria. Less super rich as*holes, who can't behave themselves, more people who are actually able to go down a slope without crashing every 5 meters. There are no differences concerning scenery...

2. When I visited Switzerland (as a native German speaker) I had lots of troubles with the locals. They'll always notice that you are not from Switzerland. And they most certainly will let you know that you are not from there. I won't say that everybody is rude there, but I noticed a strange attitude towards foreigners.

3. Ridiculous prices. Not only in ski resorts, but also in cities like Zürich (which I actually enjoyed more than once).

That said, I don't have a serious grudge against Switzerland. But I can't think of another European country I'm less enthusiastic about.

Old 04-12-2014, 04:40 AM

3,067 posts, read 2,106,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
You're right about studying the culture before you go. Had I known we would be treated like lepers in Montreal, I never would have gone.

My traveling companions in Montreal were all retired individuals and behaved appropriately as far as I could tell. No drunken rampages or rude comments.

I lived in Germany for several years, traveled all over Europe and except for the occasional miscommunications, got along just fine in France, Switzerland, Germany, Spain, Italy, England, Ireland, Scotland... Scotland, by the way, was my favorite place to visit. Food was forgettable, but people were friendly. Loved the castle-in-the-mist views.
Your anti-Montreal comments throughout this thread are interesting. Undoubtedly the unfriendliness towards [non-Francophone] outsiders is experienced to some degree by most people who've visited (of whom I'm aware, anyway). But to me there is something magnetic, captivating about that city. I've been there two times. Once in the summer of 2003--I was at an Expos game, and Javier Vazquez was in the middle of his windup when the East Coast Blackout occurred. My mother was terrified for a few minutes, thinking it to be a terrorist attack. I kept wondering if Vazquez had managed to hang onto the baseball, or if someone (on the field or in the stands) might've been hit by a blackout-induced errant fastball. Anyway, I was age 17 at the time, and I remember the electricity of the area outside Olympic Stadium postgame (no pun intended re: "electricity", given what had occurred during the game)...I was legitimately tempted to shake off the familial leash and spend the night exploring the city on my own rather than return to our rented vacation home in small town Vermont.

I returned with a buddy a few years later for a concert at the Bell Centre. We went out drinking afterwards, and although we were ignored by every single local except one who took to my drunken rendition of a Tool song (not that we went out of our way to attempt to mingle with the locals, either), once again, the city made a great impression on me, for reasons not entirely understood, then or now. Certainly it was not the warmth of the people that has me wanting to return...but I do want to return to what I still tell people is my favorite city in North America (not that I've been to all that many).

Old 04-12-2014, 05:52 AM

21,937 posts, read 27,338,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
Your anti-Montreal comments throughout this thread are interesting.
The level of bitterness, scorn and determination exhibited by that person is quite impressive. In cases like these there is usually something ''romantic'' involved, like being spurned by a lover, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or