U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2014, 05:59 AM

20,695 posts, read 19,505,116 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
- Madeira : no beach, wet, nothing to do, overrated
- Algeria : people look at you strangely, cities are garbage dumps, robbed at knifepoint, very unsafe
- England : climate too crappy, overpopulated
Tenerife. I forgot there.

2,000 miles away 4.5 hour flight. Get there and its windy ALL THE TIME. It is small and it isn't very warm about 26c.

Not much to do except goto bars or restaurants. Beaches are rubbish there as well all stones and rock.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2014, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Interesting you mention Venice. We were in a glass shop looking at their wares and started to leave when the proprietor said "Come back when you have some money."
In foreign non-anglo countries that are quite poor they have no respect for locals. The men are very creepy, they always come upto my mum and will be all touchy feely.

It was like that when we went to Murcia. It was a market full of Africans selling really cheap stuff that was supposed to be designer, although we just decided to walked through to see it. In the end we did not buy anything as it was not worth a crap.

Old 04-13-2014, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVT View Post
Ditto. Venice, Italy to be precise. My wife wants to go. I told her "It's dirty, smelly, and crowded. There are TONS of places I'd rather go than visit there again. It's NOT romantic at all."
Well we visited Rome.

I absolutely hated it. The Vatican was nice to see but really I don't think i'll visit again. Not my kind of place, old polluted and rotty.

Old 04-13-2014, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1972 View Post
It's definitely a place you should visit. It's great in its own way, but I've been 4 times now and that's enough for me.
I have been to Spain 6 or 7 times and I am sick and tired of it.

Thankfully this year we have got a trip to Florida booked which is fab. My father is already talking about going to Spain again next year. :roll eyes:

I would like to visit some other countries like Dubai or the Caribbean, there are nicer countries in this world than bloody Spain.

Old 04-13-2014, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterprods View Post
Yeah i can understand that, I feel the same way about the Big Island of HI. So you think a relatively brief 'eating vacation' might be worth it? I know I want it to be mostly culinary and confined to one city which would be reasonably affordable and quick to get to from the mainland US (by quick I mean not 20+ hours). So Paris seemed like the obvious choice but perhaps you have other suggestions… Maybe I should start a new thread about it. (?)
Would love to visit Hawaii but it is a very very long journey.

A 10 hour time difference with three six hour flights. Sounds a recipe for a disaster if you ask me.
Attached Thumbnails
Countries you won't visit again, despite their popularity-screen-shot-2014-04-13-13.11.26.png  

Old 04-13-2014, 06:37 AM

4,123 posts, read 4,747,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
France. People there seemed to really dislike Americans.
Because you expect them to speak English and don't even bother to learn a few French phrases or greetings.

Old 04-13-2014, 07:22 AM

38,129 posts, read 14,894,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameriscot View Post
Because you expect them to speak English and don't even bother to learn a few French phrases or greetings.
In Paris there seemed to be a certain enjoyment among the locals watching tourists struggle with French. There was some obtuse, rude behavior. A restaurant served us an artichoke and caper pizza that was oily and salty and just dreadful. Apparently, my phrase book wasn't as helpful as I thought. But overall, it was an enjoyable experience.

Once we got out of Paris, the people were welcoming and friendly and our awkward French did not present a barrier to communication.

Old 04-13-2014, 07:30 AM

38,129 posts, read 14,894,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
France. People there seemed to really dislike Americans.
I experienced some of that in Paris, but not elsewhere in France.

Someone once explained to me that French people are very proud of their culture and heritage and many feel that Americans do not respect that sufficiently.

I wonder if some of this is a leftover from the wars. There are no end of books about how active the underground movement was as well as questions about how accurate many of these tales are. But essentially France had to be rescued, always a humiliating experience that can lead to resentment.

Old 04-13-2014, 07:52 AM

14,248 posts, read 14,134,918 times
For me I've had it with places like Barbados, Grenada, St Vincent and so on.

Just get hassled by locals asking if you want a taxi, a tour, whatever.

We honeymooned on St Vincent over twenty years ago.

It's gone downhill.

At the place where we stayed the locals are ripping off the people staying there. We only popped over for a meal last time we were there and there was a big bust up where a tourist took one of these rip off merchants to task telling him in no uncertain terms that they were killing the tourist trade by their actions.

Places like Aruba, St Marteen, Curacao- no problem. In fact in Curacao I had the opposite situation in a store where I couldn't get served.

Old 04-13-2014, 08:34 AM

4,123 posts, read 4,747,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
In Paris there seemed to be a certain enjoyment among the locals watching tourists struggle with French. There was some obtuse, rude behavior. A restaurant served us an artichoke and caper pizza that was oily and salty and just dreadful. Apparently, my phrase book wasn't as helpful as I thought. But overall, it was an enjoyable experience.

Once we got out of Paris, the people were welcoming and friendly and our awkward French did not present a barrier to communication.
Friendliness is not the first word I'd use to explain why I enjoy going to France, especially Paris. I am able to order food (not grammatically correct) and greetings and a few other phrases. On one trip I took my sister who refused to even say thank you in French. She would walk up to clerks in shops and immediately speak English without asking if they spoke English. That is rude! When I pointed out that a French person visiting the US would be expected to speak English, so why not vice versa, I got a blank look.

I love the food!! the architecture in the medieval villages, the scenery, the fields of flowers, and the accents. Planning a return trip next May to an area I've never visited - the Dordogne.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or