U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 04-13-2014, 09:05 AM
 
Location: Chapel Hill, N.C.
36,484 posts, read 43,769,854 times
Reputation: 47257

Advertisements

When air travel became accessible with reasonable rates- decades ago- many ignorant and arrogant Americans started to travel internationally. They became the Ugly Americans and they ruined it for the rest of us. They have given us the reputation for being self centered, hostile, spoiled and rude. I have seen it first hand all over the world. We expect to be catered to and accommodated "just like home". Well it isn't home. Bathrooms and food and travel are different- not wrong- just different. We should not expect same everywhere we go.

I traveled with a first time international traveler to Europe years ago. I told her to pack light, we have to carry our own bags, not everybody speaks english, we will be walking alot, etc. fell on deaf ears. Honestly she packed matching shoes and handbags for every outfit. For a 3 week trip I had one compact bag-she had 2 very large ones plus smaller one. She couldn't believe there was no porter to carry her bags, we had to pay extra for hot water privileges in a bathroom down the hall, etc. Her idea of Europe was completely based on TV and travel with Rich People. She lasted 4 days and flew home crying cause I jerked a knot in her tail when she got drunk at Oktoberfest and started shouting Heil Hitler. I almost died. If this is what Americans show themselves to be no wonder they hate us.

Since that trip I swore never to travel with somebody I'm not very close to. Even then I prefer to travel alone. I can eat what and when I want, go where I want. etc. It's just more relaxing to me. Now I will meet friends in a certain location for a few days but the actual full trip I prefer to travel alone. My husband travels on business all the time so he wants to stay home for vacation.

But back to the thread. I avoid the usual tourist places if I can. I'll never go back to Vietnam. Too crowded, traffic scary, too many beggars, everybody wants money, I move much slower lately and would rather be closer to home for not much more than 5 hour drive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-13-2014, 09:16 AM
 
Location: Gorgeous Scotland
4,123 posts, read 4,748,743 times
Reputation: 3272
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Since that trip I swore never to travel with somebody I'm not very close to. Even then I prefer to travel alone. I can eat what and when I want, go where I want. etc. It's just more relaxing to me. Now I will meet friends in a certain location for a few days but the actual full trip I prefer to travel alone. My husband travels on business all the time so he wants to stay home for vacation.

But back to the thread. I avoid the usual tourist places if I can. I'll never go back to Vietnam. Too crowded, traffic scary, too many beggars, everybody wants money, I move much slower lately and would rather be closer to home for not much more than 5 hour drive.
One of my most memorable trips was to Ireland - my first trip out of the US. I went alone and even rented a car. Except for a couple of scary moments driving, it was the most amazing trip!! I did exactly what I wanted, when I wanted, went where I wanted. I enjoy short solo trips now, but all the big trips are with husband.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-13-2014, 09:19 AM
 
Location: North West Northern Ireland.
20,695 posts, read 19,518,175 times
Reputation: 3107
I find the French to be quite arrogant.

Based on the reception their president had on our prime minister anyway. Did you know they are the only country in the whole world that demands that air traffic controllers speak French. Yes you heard me they have it a law that you must speak French as an air traffic controller while everywhere else is speaking English.

They need to get with it and accept that English is the new language.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-13-2014, 09:27 AM
 
Location: Gorgeous Scotland
4,123 posts, read 4,748,743 times
Reputation: 3272
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac15 View Post
I find the French to be quite arrogant.

Based on the reception their president had on our prime minister anyway. Did you know they are the only country in the whole world that demands that air traffic controllers speak French. Yes you heard me they have it a law that you must speak French as an air traffic controller while everywhere else is speaking English.

They need to get with it and accept that English is the new language.
You are basing your accusation of arrogance on a couple of politicians

You are incorrect about air traffic controllers in France speaking only French. As of 2011 all communication with the air traffic controllers has been English.

All international flights to use only English by March 2011
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-13-2014, 09:32 AM
 
Location: North West Northern Ireland.
20,695 posts, read 19,518,175 times
Reputation: 3107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameriscot View Post
You are basing your accusation of arrogance on a couple of politicians

You are incorrect about air traffic controllers in France speaking only French. As of 2011 all communication with the air traffic controllers has been English.

All international flights to use only English by March 2011
No I have been. We went to the town of Grasse.

It wasn't my kind of place it was ok. But they have alot of beggars there. Not my kind of place.
Very good that they changed that law.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-13-2014, 09:58 AM
 
38,171 posts, read 14,918,071 times
Reputation: 24610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameriscot View Post
When I pointed out that a French person visiting the US would be expected to speak English, so why not vice versa, I got a blank look.

I love the food!! the architecture in the medieval villages, the scenery, the fields of flowers, and the accents. Planning a return trip next May to an area I've never visited - the Dordogne.
I too loved all sorts of things about Paris and I enjoyed that plus the welcoming attitude of people outside of Paris. The Dordogne is gorgeous. Should be a wonderful holiday.

As to everyone speaking English in the U.S., apparently you've never been in line behind someone who only speaks Spanish. I have several times just within the past week. I have seen clerks struggle to understand and help out. Sometimes, they will call someone over who speaks Spanish to assist. I have never observed rude, haughty behavior from retail clerks or wait staff.

Most places, if you are making an attempt to speak the language, they'll try to meet you halfway. Many in Paris do as well. Many do not. Except for the Louvre, I probably would never go back. Too many other places to visit where people are more welcoming.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-13-2014, 09:58 AM
 
20 posts, read 20,577 times
Reputation: 17
I was staying at an all-inclusive (once) and arrived via cruise ship (twice). While I understand that's not really "travelling" the country, no other island I've visited in the area feels nearly as bad of a tourist trap. It just really left a bad taste in my mouth when it seemed like every local was so pushy and trying to squeeze every dollar out of me that they could. And the whole swapping bus drivers on a literally 10 minute drive (but both explicitly asking for tips) gave me a really bad impression.

And to whomever game me the reputation comment... I have no idea how to respond. Sorry. I went with parents and brother every time. Most of the people at the inclusive resort I was at were families.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-13-2014, 10:03 AM
 
Location: North West Northern Ireland.
20,695 posts, read 19,518,175 times
Reputation: 3107
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
I too loved all sorts of things about Paris and I enjoyed that plus the welcoming attitude of people outside of Paris. The Dordogne is gorgeous. Should be a wonderful holiday.

As to everyone speaking English in the U.S., apparently you've never been in line behind someone who only speaks Spanish. I have several times just within the past week. I have seen clerks struggle to understand and help out. Sometimes, they will call someone over who speaks Spanish to assist. I have never observed rude, haughty behavior from retail clerks or wait staff.

Most places, if you are making an attempt to speak the language, they'll try to meet you halfway. Many in Paris do as well. Many do not. Except for the Louvre, I probably would never go back. Too many other places to visit where people are more welcoming.
America is not a Spanish speaking country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-13-2014, 10:05 AM
 
4,723 posts, read 13,922,543 times
Reputation: 4707
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac15 View Post
America is not a Spanish speaking country.

Mac, you must not have been here in awhile.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-13-2014, 10:15 AM
 
Location: Europe
1,618 posts, read 2,785,324 times
Reputation: 1105
Probably Tunisie... Muslim behaviour against woman is not nice even as a tourist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top