U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2014, 05:58 PM

32,421 posts, read 16,605,334 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
In Paris there seemed to be a certain enjoyment among the locals watching tourists struggle with French. There was some obtuse, rude behavior. A restaurant served us an artichoke and caper pizza that was oily and salty and just dreadful. Apparently, my phrase book wasn't as helpful as I thought. But overall, it was an enjoyable experience.

Once we got out of Paris, the people were welcoming and friendly and our awkward French did not present a barrier to communication.
Well, Paris is the New York of France. Most Parisians are busy people with places to be and things to do and little time for today's batch of slow-moving tourists taking snapshots of everything. That being said, I have never been treated rudely in Paris. At times curtly and very business-like, but never downright rude.

Countries I won't go back to? Can't think of any. I've never had an experience bad enough that I would scratch an entire country from my list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2014, 07:46 AM

3,813 posts, read 3,655,959 times
I can't think of a single city I would NEVER return too (Never say never). There are places I didn't like (Venice), however, I would NEVER say I wouldn't return.

The first time I went to Paris I HATED it. My wife made me go back 2 yrs later and I loved it. I've been back 4 times since and I'll be there in 12 days.

Old 05-19-2014, 09:38 AM

39 posts, read 48,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
I would never go to Montreal, Canada again.

About ten years ago, I was part of a group invited to present at a conference at McGill University. People were rude to us everywhere we went. I've been to France several times and never been treated quite like this.

At lunch, people at the conference would speak French, leaving us out of the conversation. They could all speak English. In fact, sometimes would ask us in English how it felt to not be able to understand what was being said.

It was the darndest thing I've ever experienced.

If tourism is a major part of their economy, I'm not surprised that Montreal's economy lags behind that of other Canadian cities. It was one of the most unwelcoming places I've ever been.
Wow! I had a completely different experience in Montreal about 9 years ago. I don't speak French but I studied from CDs and books for a couple weeks before the trip just so that I could say a few things, like "do you speak English?" which I'd use (in French) always before starting in English. I never encountered any rudeness or hostility on the trip. In the main downtown district, we had people stop and ask if we needed directions when we were looking around trying to get our bearings or looking at a map. At one point we stopped at a park with a playground at Westmount and my kids had a fun time playing with other kids. On leaving the city I got lost and stopped at a gas station and went up asking "parlez vous anglais?" to the first employee I encountered, and he went off and brought back one who did, who gave me directions. I enjoyed my stay there and at Quebec City.

Old 05-25-2014, 09:09 PM

1,195 posts, read 799,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
I've never gone to any country that I didn't want to revisit again & I've been to around 30 (but I've never been to the mid-east which I suspect could change that feeling).

I wonder if it has to do partly with individuals' different capacities/value for curiosity & desire for novelty?

I'm frankly hardpressed to name my least favorite country, probably India, but I didn't realize I was getting very sick when I hurriedly left there... very sick. But I think I would give it another shot.

I got sick in India and Mexico which are the reasons I do not want to go back. Nothing to do with the culture, Country or people.

Old 05-26-2014, 10:18 PM
JL

7,351 posts, read 11,877,440 times
Unless i have relatives or friends in a particular city, i wouldn't visit again despite its popularity. There are so many cities that i haven't visited, why waste my money on the same city again? The goal is to visit as many cities around the world once as you can...at least that is my goal.

Old 05-27-2014, 08:54 AM

71,925 posts, read 83,566,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WellShoneMoon View Post
Any place I have to fly overnight to get to. I am done with that.
Us too, I wish it wasn't the case, but health and age are catching up with us. The last time we did an overnight flight was in 2005 I think. Even that wiped me out, but now hubby has DVT so long flights are not a good idea. Otherwise we would be on a med or river cruise this fall: darn!!!

As for countries I would not want to visit again? There are not many and none that I would never visit, it is more like what cities or states I would not want to visit. Mexico is a country I probably would not bother with, for many reasons. I feel the same about Columbia. There are a lot of cities I don't care about: Montreal comes to mind and so does Toronto. I am not a lover of Los Angeles, even though I was born and raised there and it is the home of my beloved Dodgers. I wasn't impressed with Boston, but I would like to give it another try and NYC, isn't my idea of a place we would visit again. We have visited many times.

I can't think of a single foreign country we have visited of a foreign city other than the ones we listed that I wouldn't want to visit again and again!!!! Well actually that isn't true, there are a few countries we have visited on cruises that I would just as soon not visit again: Belize, Jamaica, Bahamas, Dominican Republic for starters

Old 08-28-2014, 01:10 PM

3,071 posts, read 7,817,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
Popularity for me = 4+ million tourist arrivals.
Countries ranked by International tourism, number of arrivals

COUNTRIES I won't EVER visit, despite their popularity...
Russia, Syria, Saudi Arabia, Bahrain

COUNTRIES I won't visit RIGHT NOW, despite their popularity...
Mexico, Dominican Republic, Argentina, Morocco, Tunisia, Egypt, Ukraine, Romania, Bulgaria, Turkey, UAE, India, Malaysia, Singapore, Indonesia, Vietnam, China
What's wrong with Bahrain?

Old 08-28-2014, 01:37 PM

60 posts, read 54,883 times
Countries I won't ever visit: none.
Countries I won't visit right now, despite their popularity: none.

If you haven't been to the country, you don't know anything about it. Preconceptions are always wrong. Reasons you shouldn't visit a country:

-War or political conflict (Americans not being able to go to Cuba freely falls under this)
-Widespread disease (like in West Africa right now)
-Cost of visa/travel (if you can't afford it, I understand)

Some of a multitude of lame reasons rule a country out (I've heard all of these):

-Too many tourists (guess France isn't for some)
-Too few tourists (ditto Turkmenistan)
-All Muslims are terrorists (ridiculous reason why someone wouldn't go to the Middle East or North Africa)
-People tell me it's overrated or there's nothing to do there (someone ruled out all of Southeast Asia because a friend of his told him every country there was overhyped)
-I've heard of gangs, drugs, Montezuma's revenge, all that stuff in that region (one guy ruled out all of Central and South America because of this, seriously most people get in trouble because they do stupid stuff)
-It looks like a boring place (Someone told me he didn't want to go to South Africa because it "struck him as a place with absolutely nothing in it", I had to hold in a laugh having been there myself)
-I don't like X country's food (a guy hated Indian food, so turned down an offer to go to India)
-I don't like X country's culture (another guy couldn't stand British people, so he wouldn't go)
-It's just too different/I can't adapt (various countries were ruled out with this excuse)
-I won't tolerate communism (someone actually told me this is why he wouldn't go to China)
-X country is too underdeveloped/What, no wi-fi? (thus someone wouldn't go to Africa at all)

Old 08-29-2014, 09:42 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,571,346 times
I would never say never about anywhere. That said, currently about half of the world is on my no-go list due to poor foreign relations with the US, general danger, or simply lack of interest.

Places I've been but don't really have much interest in visiting again, although I wouldn't say no across the board would be Venice, Chicago--and most of the USA, Mexico (the entire country), Jamaica--actually most of the Northern half of the Caribbean, Kotor.

Old 08-29-2014, 11:07 AM

7,678 posts, read 16,092,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Places I've been but don't really have much interest in visiting again, although I wouldn't say no across the board would be Venice, Chicago--and most of the USA, Mexico (the entire country), Jamaica--actually most of the Northern half of the Caribbean,
If you already live in Florida, it's kind of hard to get excited about locations where a good beach and palm trees are the biggest selling point of a vacation. Seems like most Floridians I know only visit the region if they've got family there (usually Cuba, the DR, PR) or if they got some insanely cheap last minute cruise deal. Among my circle, Europe or some sort of American West trip involving national parks and mountains are the most popular vacation spots when budget allows and family obligations aren't taking you back to Thailand or something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or