U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2014, 02:57 PM

597 posts, read 692,255 times

Advertisements

Haiti. I went to Port-au-Prince for work and while the people were friendly and I have nothing against the country, it is so desperately poor that there is simply nothing to do or see. Nobody throws anything away because they never know when they will need something, but that means there are piles of stuff everywhere. It's like Hoarders on a national scale. I'd go back there for work, but not on my own dime.

I am ambivalent about Belize. I had fun, the people were okay, and the place I stayed at was nice but it was kind of a generic beach holiday. Since I was living in South Florida at the time, there were other, cheaper vacation spots where I could have had the same experiences and certainly better diving. Blue Hole was boring! Hol Chan was better, but similar to diving in the Keys--with the exception of Shark Ray Alley, which was really cool. But I love to travel and have found something fun, learned something interesting, or had something unusual happen to me everywhere I've been. So I guess I wouldn't even say I won't go back to Belize, but there are a lot of places I would go to (or go back to) before Belize.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2014, 03:32 PM

4,114 posts, read 9,227,700 times
I am traveling throughout Europe now, so I can report back in a few months. I'm living in The Netherlands and will be spending time in Austria, Germany, and Belgium, at minimum. I'm going to try to fit in Luxembourg, Slovakia, France, and the UK, if not more, while I'm at it.

For what it's worth, the northern part of The Netherlands seems much more laid back and friendly than Amsterdam. But that's because the three northern provinces are the least densely populated areas of the country.

Every (well, almost every) place has something interesting or likable about it; I'll use the U.S. since that is my primary country of reference and residence. Rural Mississippi has beautiful scenery (there's more than the Delta region). The Inland Empire of Southern California has beautiful towns and neighborhoods hidden in a mass of sometimes gang-infested suburbia. Seattle has a lot of pretentious people, but just seeing the Puget Sound on one side and Mt. Rainier on the other has a "feel good" vibe to it. West Virginia when covered in snow is breathtaking.

Most of the U.S. and Canada are full of friendly people, but considering how large those nations are, there are always exceptions to be found, and regions that aren't so "friendly." While I can't think of anyplace I've traveled to that I just disliked enough to avoid entirely, I admit that I dislike Dayton, Ohio. I would only go back to Dayton because one of my good friends still lives there. Dumpy city with peoples' attitudes that match. And, despite the fact that it's actually a beautiful city, I also am not a fan of Sacramento, California--crappy attitudes there. I used to hate Louisville, Kentucky, but after my last couple of visits, seeing the great changes happening there, I think I'm loosening up on it a little bit!

Again, check back in with me in a few months.

Old 09-06-2014, 03:40 PM

4,114 posts, read 9,227,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
Southern California. Keep it. I would rather have a root canal than go there again. (Nothing but love for Middle and Northern California, though.)
Middle and Northern Californians are generally a little friendlier and more down to Earth than their southern counterparts, yes. That said, San Francisco has some of the most insufferable snobs on the planet (although it is a hell of a city to visit) and Sacramento has some just plain standoffish attitudes. The only cities I really like up that way are Oakland and San Jose; otherwise, I stick to the smaller towns and suburbs.

That also said, I think the Southern California vibe is a little more extroverted and "sunny" than the Middle and Northern California vibes. You have as many or more "feel good" conversations down south, in my experience. But they can be quite flaky, non-punctual, and, when it comes to material things, superficial, which is the down side. On the other hand...the most wonderful random acts of kindness I've seen anywhere, and on separate and unrelated occasions at that, was in upper-income (and kinda superficial) Carlsbad near San Diego, so there ya go.

Nonetheless, I used to scoff at the notion of moving to California...until I actually moved there; living in both its north and south have helped me to develop a love for the state.

Old 09-07-2014, 01:30 AM

10,868 posts, read 14,243,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post

Nonetheless, I used to scoff at the notion of moving to California...until I actually moved there; living in both its north and south have helped me to develop a love for the state.
Point blank, I will not drive in Southern California ever again under any circumstances. Miami has better drivers. Beijing has better drivers. Cairo has better drivers. I would much rather have a root canal than visit there again.

EDIT -- I'll bet people who live there read my assessment and say, "Fair enough...."

Old 09-09-2014, 04:46 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,583,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
Point blank, I will not drive in Southern California ever again under any circumstances. Miami has better drivers. Beijing has better drivers. Cairo has better drivers. I would much rather have a root canal than visit there again.

EDIT -- I'll bet people who live there read my assessment and say, "Fair enough...."
I have driven there countless times and never had a problem. The only place I really try to avoid driving into is LAX. A few months ago I had to meet someone there, I made them take the hotel shuttle to the Hilton and picked them up there instead of at the airport.

Worst drivers in the US are in the greater Boston area, with a nod to Central PA and some of the Asian immigrants in NJ. Most aggressive drivers in the US would be found on the AC Expressway around 8:00 on a Friday night and on I-95 around Miami any time of the day or night.

Old 09-09-2014, 05:53 PM

22,592 posts, read 12,334,192 times
The Bahamas.

Nice beaches ... otherwise boring.

Old 09-10-2014, 01:10 AM

3,946 posts, read 4,138,897 times
I'd visit Viet Nam again, just not Ho Chi Minh city.. I loved my travel to (formerly called Saigon) Ho Chi Minh 17 years ago when the gates barely opened to the world.

There was a sense of nostalgia and visiting a 3rd world country preserved in history that wasn't influenced by American modernism. There was still a French providential feel to the city, despite being stripped down by the current government.

I'd visit other parts of the country.. just the more desolate and scenic areas. Or places listed by Unesco. Like the world's largest underground cave. The sand dunes of Nha Trang. Ha Long Bay, again. Spend more time in the North and Central parts.. and visit the pagodas.

Old 09-14-2014, 08:22 AM

1,221 posts, read 2,324,617 times
Our visit to Germany was beautiful, but the people were so sour and rude. That ruined it for me. We visited when Bush was president right after 9/11. They had absolute disgust for our president and decided we deserved horrible service.

Old 09-14-2014, 01:29 PM

4,872 posts, read 6,288,717 times
Not a country, but I spent enough time in Puerto Rico to not want to go back. Wasn't crazy about France either.

Old 09-14-2014, 03:06 PM

11,435 posts, read 6,400,496 times
Belfast was lame. The only positive was the gritty atmosphere and the murals. I guess it's a good place to film an experimental cyberpunk film, but otherwise I dont really see a point of going there again
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or