U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2014, 08:39 PM

35,324 posts, read 25,158,624 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wideworld View Post
Others include Tibet and Spain. Wouldn't mind going back to England but wouldn't be angry if I don't.
What is your issue with Tibet? I'm curious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
If tourism is a major part of their economy, I'm not surprised that Montreal's economy lags behind that of other Canadian cities. It was one of the most unwelcoming places I've ever been.

Legally, I believe they have to speak (in the commercial sense) French to you first, even it they know you only speak English. Not socially, but in a commercial situation, I believe it is their law. It used to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2014, 10:09 PM

2,125 posts, read 2,910,211 times
Bermuda. The place was not that good looking compared to other beach vacation places I've been to. Food was horrible, no local character whatsoever.

Nassau, Bahamas. Man, the attitude!

Old 04-08-2014, 10:13 PM

7,629 posts, read 14,377,206 times
Jamaica.....HATED the place and of all the countries we have lived in/visited the ONLY place I could say that.

Old 04-08-2014, 10:37 PM

38,132 posts, read 14,902,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Legally, I believe they have to speak (in the commercial sense) French to you first, even it they know you only speak English. Not socially, but in a commercial situation, I believe it is their law. It used to be.
I believe you.

We went as a group to the Expo of Man or some such thing. It had been a world's fair at one time I believe. Everything was in French. We had our phrase books and did the best we could to figure things out, but even ordering a snack was an effort and many of us got items we did not intend to order.

We gave up midway and left. It was supposed to be a big deal, quite the tourist attraction. However, it was not well maintained and there were few visitors. Surprise. Surprise. I wonder if it is still open.

Last year, I was talking with a friend from Canada who said that Quebec is a drain on the Canadian economy and constantly in a fuss. She, for one, would be delighted to let Quebec become independent. This may be only her opinion and not a widely shared one.

Really, some of the most unpleasant people I've ever been around. Even the people who invited us to attend the conference treated us like we had crashed a private party.

So strange.

We paid our own airfare and hotel expenses and presented for free. You'd think they'd be appreciative. You'd be wrong.

Old 04-08-2014, 11:11 PM

16,411 posts, read 26,228,275 times
I didn't have a bad experience here, but I don't see myself going back to India any time soon.

Old 04-08-2014, 11:24 PM

2,976 posts, read 2,703,597 times
Mexico, Switzerland, China, and any of the islands in the Caribbean except Puerto Rico. Zurich has to be the most unsafe city in Europe, and their taxi drivers from the third world obviously hate Americans. My last visit was right after 9/11 so maybe that had something to do with it. I would think that their city officials would attempt to make the city more tourist friendly.

Last edited by james777; 04-08-2014 at 11:50 PM..

Old 04-09-2014, 01:52 AM

1,680 posts, read 3,183,977 times
Morocco since pretty much everyone there is actively trying to rip you off or extort money from you in some form.

Old 04-09-2014, 02:08 AM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,301 posts, read 12,214,738 times
I thank those of you who gave a REASON for not liking a country!

Old 04-09-2014, 02:34 AM

4,557 posts, read 5,121,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by james777 View Post
Mexico, Switzerland, China, and any of the islands in the Caribbean except Puerto Rico. Zurich has to be the most unsafe city in Europe, and their taxi drivers from the third world obviously hate Americans. My last visit was right after 9/11 so maybe that had something to do with it. I would think that their city officials would attempt to make the city more tourist friendly.
Zürich the most unsafe city of Europe?

But I have to agree. Switzerland is probably the only country in Europe I wouldn't mind to never return to.

Old 04-09-2014, 03:30 AM

5,823 posts, read 10,152,124 times
- Madeira : no beach, wet, nothing to do, overrated
- Algeria : people look at you strangely, cities are garbage dumps, robbed at knifepoint, very unsafe
- England : climate too crappy, overpopulated
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or