U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2014, 04:50 AM

5,097 posts, read 2,484,007 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito View Post
I would like to visit Mexico at some point, but with the violence and corrupt government, not right now.

Nice isn't nice?
People often topple over the balcony after a few drinks in Mexico. The building code railing height specifications in Mexico is that the railing height should be 32". North American standards specify 36". Drunk North Americas need to know this prior to having a few drinks on the balcony in Mexico. That's one of the problems of Mexico ... drunks toppling over the railing that they assume is four inches taller. There are also collapsing railings and balconies.

On the East coast, there seem to be brutal murders of tourists for theft, malfunctioning electrical systems, and corruption. In the North West coast, there seem to be drug and immigration problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2014, 05:00 AM

5,097 posts, read 2,484,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosa surf View Post
Rome, Italy- very rude arrogant people who have an obvious disdain for tourists. I'm sorry I ever spent any money there.

Paris, France- dog poop all over the sidewalks, dirty stinky hotels. The Eiffel tower is nice as are the Louvre, but it was dirty and the food was just OK. Not impressed at all.

Costa Rica- beautiful, but no reason to return. Food stinks, not much culture. San Jose has to be the worst city I have ever visited.
I was at the Spanish Steps in Rome and photographed the Gypsies robbing a busload of elderly British tourists. They dipped into purses, dropped money flying down the steps, blowing down the streets. The Gypsies grabbed suitcases, and raided them next to the Spanish Steps. After I photographed the theft, my friend and I were followed.

Has Paris become sloppy, or did everyone finally realize that the air is too polluted to breath?

Does Costa Rica have beautiful wildlife?

Old 04-10-2014, 05:14 AM

1,155 posts, read 1,926,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
I was at the Spanish Steps in Rome and photographed the Gypsies robbing a busload of elderly British tourists. They dipped into purses, dropped money flying down the steps, blowing down the streets. The Gypsies grabbed suitcases, and raided them next to the Spanish Steps. After I photographed the theft, my friend and I were followed.

Has Paris become sloppy, or did everyone finally realize that the air is too polluted to breath?

Costa Rica is amazing! Wildlife and amazing untouched scenery. The people are very nice too. I loved it and will definitely go,back.

Old 04-10-2014, 05:49 AM

11,881 posts, read 10,381,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1972 View Post
Costa Rica is amazing! Wildlife and amazing untouched scenery. The people are very nice too. I loved it and will definitely go,back.
Yeah, agreed-I would love to go back to Costa Rica! San Jose was not a focal point at all though.

Old 04-10-2014, 06:09 AM

2,932 posts, read 4,012,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVT View Post
Ditto. Venice, Italy to be precise. My wife wants to go. I told her "It's dirty, smelly, and crowded. There are TONS of places I'd rather go than visit there again. It's NOT romantic at all."
I'd have to disagree. I've been there for Carnival and again on my 10th anniversary. A beautiful late spring evening on the Grand Canal. I asked the gondolier if he sang, and he said no but I can make up for it. He found a fellow gondolier who does sing and we held the boats together and drifted while the second gondolier sang opera pieces. We made friends with the other couple and have been in touch for 27 yrs. Maybe you just had a bad visit. Did you go in July or August?

Old 04-10-2014, 07:39 AM

7,680 posts, read 16,095,286 times
Quote:
People often topple over the balcony after a few drinks in Mexico. The building code railing height specifications in Mexico is that the railing height should be 32". North American standards specify 36". Drunk North Americas need to know this prior to having a few drinks on the balcony in Mexico.
I share a media market with Panama City Beach, Florida. And can definitely verify that when the college students get drunk enough or high enough, a 36" balcony railing isn't high enough to keep them from believing they can fly. Had a job a few years back where we had an office pool for the date of the first reported balcony diver of the PCB Spring Break season.

Old 04-10-2014, 08:22 AM

3,308 posts, read 2,763,019 times
Quote:
People often topple over the balcony after a few drinks in Mexico. The building code railing height specifications in Mexico is that the railing height should be 32". North American standards specify 36". Drunk North Americas need to know this prior to having a few drinks on the balcony in Mexico. That's one of the problems of Mexico ... drunks toppling over the railing that they assume is four inches taller. There are also collapsing railings and balconies.

On the East coast, there seem to be brutal murders of tourists for theft, malfunctioning electrical systems, and corruption. In the North West coast, there seem to be drug and immigration problems.
I wouldn't say this happens often, that is a bit exaggerated.

Mexico is a huge country and I have been traveling there often since my youth. I am in Baja California all of the time. I was just in Mexico City a few months ago and had a blast. I've never had problems.

Old 04-10-2014, 08:27 AM

3,308 posts, read 2,763,019 times
Quote:

I just dont understand everyone's love for Paris. It really is not a place that I would like to return to. I just found it to be ok. Also, I studied French for 3 years in high school so it is not like I was totally unfamiliar with the culture.

I did like Nice though, that is a beautiful little place.

Costa Rica is beautiful and the people were nice. It definitely has beautiful wildlife. Don't spend too much time in San Jose the capital, nothing interesting there. I just didn't find the food very good and it doesn't have a vibrant culture, so I find no reason to return.

Old 04-10-2014, 08:49 AM

5,222 posts, read 5,088,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
At lunch, people at the conference would speak French, leaving us out of the conversation. They could all speak English. In fact, sometimes would ask us in English how it felt to not be able to understand what was being said.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVT View Post
I would have replied back "Doesn't bother me at all. I figured you weren't talking about anything important anyways."

Or, "No, it doesn't bother me that you were speaking German."

Old 04-10-2014, 08:57 AM

2,125 posts, read 2,909,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedar_ATL View Post
I can't write off the whole Bahamas because I've only been to Nassau, but I will never go there again if it is up to me. Very unorganized, very lazy and indifferent "help", overpriced food and goods, being harrassed by vendors screaming at you to buy their crap while you try to relax by lying out at an expensive (apparently non-exclusive) resort - Atlantis, literally foaming at the mouth and high on drugs bums walking the tourist area. The water and sand is beautiful, but I will never be back to Nassau if it is up to me.
Exactly my experience with Nassau, Bahamas. Plus the 20% service charge they tacked on all your bills pi$$ed me off too. No wonder the service was horrible with serious attitude (I get to you when I get to you, and you better not complain or I'll spit on your food!). With guaranteed 20% tip regardless, why bother? I won't go back even if it was free.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or