U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2014, 07:31 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,274,544 times

Advertisements

There are places I would like to visit more than others, but one thing I am sure of is this:

No matter what country you visit, how people treat you has a lot to do with how you yourself act towards others. Respect, politeness, and if possible a little study of their culture before you go, can make a whole lot of difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2014, 07:39 PM

38,131 posts, read 14,894,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WellShoneMoon View Post
I think my response would have been, "Yes, it bothers me a lot. I think you and your friends are quite rude."

But I have to tell you that this kind of thing happens in the U.S. too. It happened to me at a conference in Seattle -- and they were speaking English but clearly not wanting to include me in the conversation. There are rude people everywhere.
I too have run across rude people from time to time in my travels.

What I remember about Montreal was that everybody was rude--everybody. No one made any attempt to help us feel welcome, not at the conference, not in the community. They guy who sold hot dogs at this Expo of Man (I think that was name) sneered at us. It was quite bizarre. When I read that tourism is a large part of the Montreal I can't help but wonder. Perhaps others are treated better. Who knows

When I answered my dinner companions that it did indeed bother me, their response was that I ought to be speaking French, I was in Quebec after all. That seemed to be the attitude everywhere we went. That they were a French speaking province and everyone there should be speaking French. We tried the best we could with our high school French and our phrase books, but clearly we were not up to their standards and expectations.

Why they invited us to present at the conference I'll never know. We were all clearly English speakers.

I am always surprised to read that tourism is a large part of their economy. How many French speaking tourists could there possibly be?

Old 04-10-2014, 07:42 PM

1,266 posts, read 1,524,038 times
I would return to all countries I've visited so far, which includes Mexico, England, France and Canada. A lot of people have mentioned crossing Mexico off their travel list. I have had excellent experiences there.

I have been to Mexico (all over) at least 20 times since the 80s and, in fact, live in Mexico City for six months of the year (have done this for the past four years). Never once have I had a problem with anyone. Tip: Treat people with dignity, respect and courtesy. Smile and try to communicate in their language. I have seen too many American tourists treating the Mexican people like dirt. This is especially true of young, white males drinking at bars and discos, getting uncontrollably drunk, and being mouthy and incredibly rude to the Mexicans. Disgusting. I friggin' hate these types of travelers.

Old 04-10-2014, 07:48 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,274,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TotallyTam View Post
... Tip: Treat people with dignity, respect and courtesy. Smile and try to communicate in their language. I have seen too many American tourists treating the Mexican people like dirt.
Yes! It is THEIR country and you should follow their lead. If you try to act superior, you deserve to be booted.

Old 04-10-2014, 09:43 PM

874 posts, read 1,077,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
What is your issue with Tibet? I'm curious.

Legally, I believe they have to speak (in the commercial sense) French to you first, even it they know you only speak English. Not socially, but in a commercial situation, I believe it is their law. It used to be.
I honestly wouldn't know where to begin. The people - most are very rude, expect tourists to throw money around like nothing (similar to what another poster wrote about Cuba - which actually surprised me, but I've never been), and the injustices you witness people-to-people and people-to-animals (the latter ripped my heart to shreds) will make you blind to the natural wonders around you.

I spent several weeks there, and I barely remember seeing Everest. I remember trying to care for the most tortured dogs I have ever seen. I remember locals spitting at me, yelling, and throwing rocks, because I ran around trying to feed the poor dogs rather than give food to them. I had a dog get run over - two feet from me - while I was trying to care for him and several buddies who were so broken they could not get up.... I have never cried so much in my entire life as I did while there.

And one more I remembered after reading through this thread - Switzerland! I always wanted to go to Interlaken but, after visiting some other cities there, have zero desire to return. I actually enjoyed it so little, I forgot I went (hence not mentioning it in my first post ). Not even kidding.

Old 04-10-2014, 10:04 PM

3,308 posts, read 2,763,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by graceC View Post
But regarding Cancun and Isla Mujeres, we would go back there in a heartbeat. We especially fell in love with the people, who were truly the warmest, nicest people we've encountered in a foreign place. Plus it has clean and beautiful beaches (it's the caribbean sea, so enough said!), fantastic food, safe and clean place.

We are planning to explore other parts of Mexico too with, of course, serious research about obvious things that one must consider when traveling.
Mexico does get a bad rap but it is a wonderful place. I have traveled to many, many countries and never get tired of Mexico. I would suggest the following places:

Veracruz
San Cristobal de las Casas, Chiapas- Palenque is breathtaking as is a lot of Chiapas
Oaxaca
Taxco
San Miguel de Allende/Mexico City
Puebla
Queretaro
Baja California Sur

These are all safe areas by the way.

Old 04-11-2014, 01:44 AM

4,694 posts, read 2,542,465 times
Nassau, Bahamas

Old 04-11-2014, 06:15 AM

35,324 posts, read 25,158,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wideworld View Post
I honestly wouldn't know where to begin. The people - most are very rude, expect tourists to throw money around like nothing (similar to what another poster wrote about Cuba - which actually surprised me, but I've never been), and the injustices you witness people-to-people and people-to-animals (the latter ripped my heart to shreds) will make you blind to the natural wonders around you.

I spent several weeks there, and I barely remember seeing Everest. I remember trying to care for the most tortured dogs I have ever seen. I remember locals spitting at me, yelling, and throwing rocks, because I ran around trying to feed the poor dogs rather than give food to them. I had a dog get run over - two feet from me - while I was trying to care for him and several buddies who were so broken they could not get up.... I have never cried so much in my entire life as I did while there.

Wow. Just wow. Thanks for telling me.

Old 04-11-2014, 07:09 AM

38,131 posts, read 14,894,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodstockSchool1980 View Post
There are places I would like to visit more than others, but one thing I am sure of is this:

No matter what country you visit, how people treat you has a lot to do with how you yourself act towards others. Respect, politeness, and if possible a little study of their culture before you go, can make a whole lot of difference.
You're right about studying the culture before you go. Had I known we would be treated like lepers in Montreal, I never would have gone.

My traveling companions in Montreal were all retired individuals and behaved appropriately as far as I could tell. No drunken rampages or rude comments.

I lived in Germany for several years, traveled all over Europe and except for the occasional miscommunications, got along just fine in France, Switzerland, Germany, Spain, Italy, England, Ireland, Scotland... Scotland, by the way, was my favorite place to visit. Food was forgettable, but people were friendly. Loved the castle-in-the-mist views.

Old 04-11-2014, 07:21 AM

2,125 posts, read 2,909,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wideworld View Post
and the injustices you witness people-to-people and people-to-animals (the latter ripped my heart to shreds) will make you blind to the natural wonders around you.
Unfortunately, that's something you'll see a lot in undeveloped countries, especially if you travel far enough from the usual tourist hangouts. I still remember one afternoon in Southeast China, as I was looking out a bus window to enjoy the scenery, I saw a guy on a motorbike sped by next to my bus window and there was a dead dog tied to the back of his motorbike with its tounge lolling out. I was horrified and the passenger who was sitting next to me saw the look on my face and told me calmly "it's his dinner". I don't even remember the name of that town but I vividly remember the scene, down to the color of the dog and the motorbike.

Then there was a scene I saw at a local market in Guangzhou - China, a beggar was kneeling on the ground with no shirt on (it was winter) and he was shaking so hard from head to toe with cold, and nobody spared him a glance, let alone gave him any money. I pulled the big woolen scarf I was wearing to give it to him and the people around me scolded me instead for encouraging his bad behaviour.

Then the miserable and tortured elephants I saw in Thailand that the people used for tourist attractions.

Scenes like that you don't forget easily.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or