Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2014, 12:31 PM

1,479 posts, read 1,309,266 times

Advertisements

India and mexico
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2014, 01:09 PM

2,483 posts, read 4,371,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Interesting you mention Venice. We were in a glass shop looking at their wares and started to leave when the proprietor said "Come back when you have some money."
Yeah some people were incredibly rude to us in Venice too. But I'm trying not to judge a whole city by a few people. The main reason I would not go back is because it's crowded, dirty and very expensive. I'm glad I went once though, because it's just one of those paces you have to see. Also it's almost impossible to take a bad picture (or in my case do a boring drawing) there.

Old 04-09-2014, 01:32 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,826,650 times
I would like to visit Mexico at some point, but with the violence and corrupt government, not right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Moscow and St. Petersburg
Florence, Italy
Los Angeles
Nice, France
Cardiff, Wales
Nice isn't nice?

Old 04-09-2014, 01:35 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,103,006 times
Aruba=I agree it was boring
Jamaica=Not including the violence in Kingston, the locals really dislike the tourists.
Grand Bahama=Homophobic and way too touristy.

I will happily go back and spend money in some of the other Bahamian islands.

I really never had a problem with some of the European cities except Venice kind of creeped me out but I'd probably go back.

Old 04-09-2014, 02:10 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
Thailand. Was there twice, total of five weeks, to every corner of the country, and just didn't like the Thai people, nor their disregard for their natural features. They are loud and rude and at times intentionally unpleasant, and the countryside is basically ugly, for the most part. Food was good, but that's about it. As big cities go, Bangkok was actually pretty nice, but I only endure cities when I have to.

I can't think of any reason I'd like to go back to Spain, either.

Old 04-09-2014, 03:18 PM

1,155 posts, read 2,236,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterprods View Post
Interesting. I've never been to Paris, or hardly much of France, but I know what you mean about enjoying other towns and the countryside so much more because that's how it's been for us in Italy and Great Britain + Ireland. But I have had a notion to get some "cheap" flight deal direct to paris and go for a few days, stay in some nice hotel in town and just eat. What do you think of that? (assuming that the flight vs stay time & cost is balanced out enough)
It's definitely a place you should visit. It's great in its own way, but I've been 4 times now and that's enough for me.

Old 04-09-2014, 03:40 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,556,326 times
I'm jealous of all the traveling you guys have done that you can actually say there are places you would never return to, lol. I've only been overseas to one country one time. That's it. Sad, I know.

Old 04-09-2014, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1972 View Post
It's definitely a place you should visit. It's great in its own way, but I've been 4 times now and that's enough for me.
Yeah i can understand that, I feel the same way about the Big Island of HI. So you think a relatively brief 'eating vacation' might be worth it? I know I want it to be mostly culinary and confined to one city which would be reasonably affordable and quick to get to from the mainland US (by quick I mean not 20+ hours). So Paris seemed like the obvious choice but perhaps you have other suggestions… Maybe I should start a new thread about it. (?)

Old 04-09-2014, 04:27 PM

1,155 posts, read 2,236,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterprods View Post
Yeah i can understand that, I feel the same way about the Big Island of HI. So you think a relatively brief 'eating vacation' might be worth it? I know I want it to be mostly culinary and confined to one city which would be reasonably affordable and quick to get to from the mainland US (by quick I mean not 20+ hours). So Paris seemed like the obvious choice but perhaps you have other suggestions… Maybe I should start a new thread about it. (?)
Food,is Paris is great, but you need to do,your research. You can't walk into any cafe or restaurant and necessarily get a great meal. They have crappy food in Paris too, particularly near the tourist spots. My favorite place for a food tour is Rome. Have you been there? I personally love Rome and find it more appealing than Paris overall. However, if you haven't been to Paris it's definitely worth going. Book the Eiffel Tower beforehand to save time in line and check out the Batobus. It's a hop on hop off boat and it makes it easy to get around and see the sites.

Old 04-09-2014, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1972 View Post
Food,is Paris is great, but you need to do,your research. You can't walk into any cafe or restaurant and necessarily get a great meal. They have crappy food in Paris too, particularly near the tourist spots. My favorite place for a food tour is Rome. Have you been there? I personally love Rome and find it more appealing than Paris overall. However, if you haven't been to Paris it's definitely worth going. Book the Eiffel Tower beforehand to save time in line and check out the Batobus. It's a hop on hop off boat and it makes it easy to get around and see the sites.
I haven't been to Rome but my wife has and she prefers Paris by far. Either one would be fine with me but we were in Italy for over a month and had plenty of great Italian food then… I've never had REAL french food. We'll definitely do a lot of research and schedule things (I even do that for camping trips these days) but we'll also leave room for just walking off the street and into some random patisserie. We've done that with deli's in New York a few times and that's always been the most memorable part, compared to fancy meals in a premium location.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel