Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2014, 05:36 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,445,509 times

Advertisements

Korea. A stiflingly homogenous and traditional place, despite all the lights, Samsung stuff, and fast internet. Don't be fooled.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2014, 07:53 PM

4,721 posts, read 15,613,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
I thank those of you who gave a REASON for not liking a country!

Seriously !
Cuz I think this is an interesting thread idea,but wish more REASONS were given besides just naming a place.

Old 04-09-2014, 08:31 PM

37 posts, read 49,050 times
Default Not a Bahama Mama

I can't write off the whole Bahamas because I've only been to Nassau, but I will never go there again if it is up to me. Very unorganized, very lazy and indifferent "help", overpriced food and goods, being harrassed by vendors screaming at you to buy their crap while you try to relax by lying out at an expensive (apparently non-exclusive) resort - Atlantis, literally foaming at the mouth and high on drugs bums walking the tourist area. The water and sand is beautiful, but I will never be back to Nassau if it is up to me.

Old 04-09-2014, 08:37 PM

37 posts, read 49,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
The people who said never to Italy and Spain, could you say why? I have never been but both were on my bucket list.
I enjoyed Italy, and would go back. I've not been north of Firenze/Florence and so I haven't have the bad experiences so many have mentioned in this thread about Venice, however. I especially loved Capri and Sorrento.

As far as Spain is concerned, I loved Barcelona (as most people do), and was disappointed with Madrid (worth one visit only, but the food sucks). I would like to go to southern Spain to see the differnet architecture and whatnot at some point.

Old 04-09-2014, 08:37 PM

2,737 posts, read 5,455,726 times
Wouldn't want to return to Kuwait, though it was interesting and the people were lovely to us--it's just scary to be a woman there, particularly if you can't speak Arabic.

I had a similar experience in Montreal to the one already described here. It is also very cold. But I like other places in Canada. Ditto for the comment re: Bahamas.

I don't care for London, I think because of the expense and the high probability of getting bad food if you don't know the restaurants well. Relatives say to get out of the city and explore the countryside.

Some of my favorite places: anywhere in France, Australia, or Hawaii (I realize it is not a country!). To the person considering a food tour to Paris--I have heard Nice has the best food in the world, but I've never been there. Norway is exquisitely beautiful and the Czech Republic is wonderful.

Old 04-09-2014, 08:45 PM

41,937 posts, read 36,951,955 times
I wonder if I'd do Cambodia again. Loved the archeology, but I mostly go for wildlife and it is seriously barren of it. I even went off into remote areas (with guides) well up river and away from any city and still, very little. A group of gibbons, some frogs and two snakes... no water birds at all after hours on the river... I have theories as to why, but it was nothing like other places in Asia (of course the place had a different history). Most parts were fine, the food was pretty bland, and the drinky girls / being propositioned / and begged non stop took its toll on my psyche. There is one place I'd like to see again to re take photos, but I think the site might have been destroyed by development (crazy orchids). I might swing by once in Thailand, but never a dedicated trip.

Old 04-09-2014, 10:18 PM

3,282 posts, read 3,792,630 times
Rome, Italy- very rude arrogant people who have an obvious disdain for tourists. I'm sorry I ever spent any money there.

Paris, France- dog poop all over the sidewalks, dirty stinky hotels. The Eiffel tower is nice as are the Louvre, but it was dirty and the food was just OK. Not impressed at all.

Costa Rica- beautiful, but no reason to return. Food stinks, not much culture. San Jose has to be the worst city I have ever visited.

Old 04-10-2014, 12:06 AM

1,161 posts, read 2,447,811 times
I don't think I dislike a place so much that I absolutely refuse to go there again. For just about every place listed on here there are pros and cons. Sure, Venice can be packed with people but if you go off-peak and walk around in the early hours, it can be quite a magical place. Sometimes it's those quiet few minutes or hours that makes the trip.

Big cities like Paris or London can be crowded and expensive, but there's so many museums and restaurants and sights that even after dozens of trips to both I'm always still finding something new. Some countries have unremarkable cities but beautiful countrysides, and vice versa. Just because you didn't like Cardiff you shouldn't write off the rest of Wales, as northern Wales has some of the most beautiful scenery in all of the UK.

I will say there are countries I've traveled to that I wouldn't go out of my way to see again if only because I've already been there. Vietnam is one example. Sri Lanka is another. But if I was with a group of people who wanted to go to these countries, I'd be happy to go back.

All in all, it pays to do your research in advance and have a pretty good idea of what you want to do or where you want to stay. There are places such as Paris where you can easily eat mediocre and overpriced food but with some preliminary research you can have a fabulous dining experience without spending too much money. Not all patisseries in Paris are created equally, for example, so people who complain they walked into a random patisserie and found it mediocre when they could have quickly googled "top patisseries in Paris" and discovered there was a fabulous pastry shop just around the corner, well, that's your loss. It's the same with restaurants. Or hotels. Research is essential to get the most out of your travel experiences.

Likewise, be pragmatic about what you really enjoy. If all museums and historic churches bore you but you love beaches and tropical weather, then why bother going to Europe instead of SE Asia or the Caribbean? And vice versa is true. If you love mountains and rock climbing and find cities crowded and dirty, then don't plan a trip to London but go straight to the Alps. Or the Rockies.

Old 04-10-2014, 12:13 AM

4,491 posts, read 6,343,360 times
Well, the thread title is a bit harsh. There is no specific country/city I'll never return to because I hated it so much. But there are a couple of places where I wouldn't mind to never return again. Simply because there are nicer or more interesting places to go to.

Switzerland for one. They have ski resorts, a couple of nice cities/towns and mountains. Essentially everything Austria has. Minus the ridiculous prices and the arrogant people. That said, Zürich is actually quite nice and I'm never disappointed when I go there.

Barcelona is another city I don't really care about. Can't really say why. Most friends of mine with whom I want there love the city. I prefer Sevilla and Madrid...

On my next trip to the US I probably wouldn't go to Washington DC anymore. We've seen most of the classic tourist attractions and monuments and... Well... That's about it with that city I would spend my time elsewhere.

Old 04-10-2014, 04:10 AM

6,981 posts, read 10,947,316 times
Most places in the Caribbean, to one degree or another, are places to which I have no particular interest in returning. I've been there many times, seen them enough, and there are lots of other place I'd rather go at this point.

If I were going to the region, I'd make it a point to avoid Jamaica and, to a lesser extent, the Bahamas and Mexico. Jamaica feels very unsafe and people are always begging and bothering tourists. The other two seem to have crime and safety issues also.

I'd also avoid anywhere in the Middle East.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel