Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2014, 09:32 AM

3,262 posts, read 4,996,415 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
I would never go to Montreal, Canada again.

About ten years ago, I was part of a group invited to present at a conference at McGill University. People were rude to us everywhere we went. I've been to France several times and never been treated quite like this.

At lunch, people at the conference would speak French, leaving us out of the conversation. They could all speak English. In fact, sometimes would ask us in English how it felt to not be able to understand what was being said.

It was the darndest thing I've ever experienced.

If tourism is a major part of their economy, I'm not surprised that Montreal's economy lags behind that of other Canadian cities. It was one of the most unwelcoming places I've ever been.

I think my response would have been, "Yes, it bothers me a lot. I think you and your friends are quite rude."

But I have to tell you that this kind of thing happens in the U.S. too. It happened to me at a conference in Seattle -- and they were speaking English but clearly not wanting to include me in the conversation. There are rude people everywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2014, 09:45 AM

2,540 posts, read 3,731,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
People often topple over the balcony after a few drinks in Mexico. The building code railing height specifications in Mexico is that the railing height should be 32". North American standards specify 36". Drunk North Americas need to know this prior to having a few drinks on the balcony in Mexico. That's one of the problems of Mexico ... drunks toppling over the railing that they assume is four inches taller. There are also collapsing railings and balconies.

On the East coast, there seem to be brutal murders of tourists for theft, malfunctioning electrical systems, and corruption. In the North West coast, there seem to be drug and immigration problems.
Oy! I think dismissing an entire country based on balcony railing's height is ridiculous. You don't want to topple down from a balcony, then don't drink from a balcony. Seriously! Why do people expect that US standards be applied to foreign countries? You are only reinforcing the existing bad image about American tourists.

Mexico seems to have a bad rep but the country is big and not all parts deserve the bad rep. We just got back from Cancun and Isla Mujeres a couple of weeks ago. They're along the Mexican Yucatan Peninsula, and that was, by far, the best vacation we had in a long time. It was our first visit to Mexico and we chose to rent a private condo instead of staying at the usual big all-inclusive resoirts that most folks tend to prefer. We took their public bus everywhere and other than the first night (when we haven't gotten our bearing right), we ate pretty much outside of the tourist zone. We even shopped at the local farmers market and cooked at our condo for a coupe of nights. We got lost quite a few times while looking for the right bus stop (a few times at night around 9-10pm after our dinner) and we never felt unsafe. The people there couldn't have been more helpful. Some of them actually went out of their way to take us to the right place, not just point us to the right direction. Imagine that! And for the record, we don't speak Spanish so most conversations were done in broken English (if they spoke it at all) or hand gestures.

One evening, when we were searching for a restaurant that came recommended by our condo neighbor, we passed a park that was filled with local families out enjoying themselves. There was live music going on, and food vendors dotting one side of the park. We decided to eat there instead and ordered small portions of a lot of things to try. That turned out to be the best impromptu decisions we made for that trip. Thinking of the chicken mole alone makes my mouth waters!

See, people often say "Oh, Cancun doesn't count because it's so Americanized!". I would think that would be the obvious choice for first time Mexico visitors, sort of get their Mexico 101 acclimated before going into the 'true Mexico' areas. Just like Singapore (in my view) is the best choice for someone who hasn't been to Asia since that's the Asia 101 destination for me.

But regarding Cancun and Isla Mujeres, we would go back there in a heartbeat. We especially fell in love with the people, who were truly the warmest, nicest people we've encountered in a foreign place. Plus it has clean and beautiful beaches (it's the caribbean sea, so enough said!), fantastic food, safe and clean place.

We are planning to explore other parts of Mexico too with, of course, serious research about obvious things that one must consider when traveling.

Last edited by graceC; 04-10-2014 at 09:56 AM..

Old 04-10-2014, 10:05 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,930,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Yeah, agreed-I would love to go back to Costa Rica! San Jose was not a focal point at all though.

Yes, San Jose is just an airport. LOVED CR!

Old 04-10-2014, 12:38 PM

3,879 posts, read 8,379,678 times
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Nassau, Bahamas

Old 04-10-2014, 01:23 PM

2,586 posts, read 9,099,227 times
Never say never, but I doubt I'll go back to Jamaica.

Old 04-10-2014, 02:01 PM

4,481 posts, read 3,635,983 times
South Korea - the people were rude and unpleasant, the food wasn't that great, the country not that attractive - once was plenty.

Jamaica - again rude, nasty low-class people, mediocre food, and not that much to see. Some parts were beautiful but the people ruin it.

Old 04-10-2014, 02:05 PM

39,189 posts, read 27,570,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeraKera View Post
For me, it's Paris, France.
France

Old 04-10-2014, 06:45 PM

1,155 posts, read 2,235,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Yes, San Jose is just an airport. LOVED CR!
Couldn't agree more San Jose is no good, but the airport is nice and Costa Rica is great otherwise!

Old 04-10-2014, 07:00 PM

7,887 posts, read 11,400,197 times
Paris and most of France the people were rude, insulting and it is over priced for the food and hotels they offer.

Barcelona gypsies along the rambla make it a place I won't visit although I like Spain and Portugal along with Italy and Belgium in mature Europe. Greece including the islands are third world or over crowded. I like both Budapest and Prague and Lisbon and Seville and Granada and would go back to all.

Hong Kong is too crowded for me and Tokyo too smokey to want to see again.

Places not yet mentioned I would go see again are; Costa Rica for the nature and climate in the mountains, not San Jose or the too warm beach areas. I like Singapore for business travel but not to visit as a tourist. I like Cartagena a lot as well as playa de Carmen Mexico. I also enjoyed London area for business travel and Scotland as well. Bangkok is interesting enough to see again with the people and old and new side by side. I would return to Rome, Florence and amalfi coast

Old 04-10-2014, 07:25 PM

7,132 posts, read 4,763,725 times
Wow, some countries are better than others for different people, but I cannot say that any place has turned me off. I always seem to find something fun or interesting.

Just so you know, I have visited most of western Europe, parts of SE Asia, Nepal, all of Central America, parts of South America, and even the Antarctic and the South Pole.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel