U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2014, 08:05 AM

1,480 posts, read 2,302,705 times

Advertisements

On my last flight to Europe I arrived on the plane and found out that my wife and I would be sitting in a narrow body plane for nine hours. The same type of plane that you take domestically. 3 seats on one side 3 seats on the other.

I thought it was a living hell. The plane was completely full and there were tons of crying babies and loud people. I mentioned it to someone else and he said, "what is the difference, same seat and same space!"

I agree, it is the same seat but the cramped plane was more claustrophobic because it was so narrow and it was harder to walk around than a large Boeing 749 with nine seats across and two rows and areas near the rest room to stand around in.

What do you think? Would a nine hour narrow body flight to/from Europe in coach be any worse to you than a nine hour flight in a wide body 747 in economy class?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2014, 09:19 AM

3,161 posts, read 8,093,499 times
I wouldn't really care. I tend not to walk around a lot during flights. I am on the east coast of the US and most long hauls flights to Europe are overnight ones. I take off at 8 pm, eat, watch something on TV, go to sleep, get up and use the bathroom, eat again, then land. It doesn't matter to me how many aisles are on the plane. Noise is noise and that crying baby or loud blabbermouth is just as likely to be near me on a larger plane as he/she is on a smaller plane.

Old 04-11-2014, 10:45 AM

12,265 posts, read 18,397,848 times
A coach class seat sucks, doesn't matter if it's wide or narrow body. There may be some psychological impact because you are in a narrower metal tube when you look around, but it's still 9 hours in a metal tube in a narrow uncomfortable chair. Actually I laugh at 9 hours, I can do that standing on my head - try flying to India or China a couple times a year - 3 stops/24 hours+.

However, airline seats are configured differently between airlines, even for the same type of plane. Also focus on the location of your seat using a site like "seat guru".

Old 04-11-2014, 11:27 AM

20,695 posts, read 19,505,116 times
I'm not far from America so I don't really care.

The furthest airport from here with a narrowbody is Chicago at 3,500 miles.

I think the 737 is within range to America from here.

Flight times are not long to Boston and NYC at about 6 hours and 5hours back.

Last edited by Mac15; 04-11-2014 at 11:37 AM..

Old 04-11-2014, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
On my last flight to Europe I arrived on the plane and found out that my wife and I would be sitting in a narrow body plane for nine hours. The same type of plane that you take domestically. 3 seats on one side 3 seats on the other.

I thought it was a living hell. The plane was completely full and there were tons of crying babies and loud people. I mentioned it to someone else and he said, "what is the difference, same seat and same space!"

I agree, it is the same seat but the cramped plane was more claustrophobic because it was so narrow and it was harder to walk around than a large Boeing 749 with nine seats across and two rows and areas near the rest room to stand around in.

What do you think? Would a nine hour narrow body flight to/from Europe in coach be any worse to you than a nine hour flight in a wide body 747 in economy class?
Well I agree that nine hours is a bit rediculous.

I think our longest is eight hours and even then I would not go on that. But with the United planes it does not make a difference as they give you ptvs and lots of food.

But personally I would not fly on a 757 from Mainland Europe. I noticed you can fly from Oslo to Newark which to me is too far!!!

Its like a 757 here to MCO. A no...

Old 04-11-2014, 11:48 AM

6,153 posts, read 6,321,355 times
I have problems sitting for a long time. At least on the wide body airplanes you do not get too much grief from the flight attendants if you decide to stand for a while near the cluster of lavs located in the center of the airplane.

Old 04-11-2014, 12:02 PM

The longest 757 flight is 4,000 miles which is here to about Billings.

Ok personally I think thats rediculously long.

Old 04-11-2014, 12:41 PM

2,591 posts, read 5,286,635 times
Possibly you were on Continental. I've been on some of their flights to Europe and it was the same deal, 757. I don't like it much and I try to avoid them; however sometimes they have a nonstop US to a smaller European city, and in that case it seems to be worth the discomfort.

And I disagree that it doesn't matter: My favorite is the 767 where I can get two seats together, a window and an aisle. Makes coach more tolerable.

Old 04-11-2014, 12:42 PM

218 posts, read 275,962 times
That's very strange. I've made about a dozen or so flights across the Atlantic and I've never been on a narrow body airplane. The seat space is the same, but having that extra room to stand up, walk and stretch a bit does make a difference. What airline were you flying?

Old 04-11-2014, 12:51 PM

15,066 posts, read 18,997,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rational1 View Post
Possibly you were on Continental. I've been on some of their flights to Europe and it was the same deal, 757. I don't like it much and I try to avoid them; however sometimes they have a nonstop US to a smaller European city, and in that case it seems to be worth the discomfort.

And I disagree that it doesn't matter: My favorite is the 767 where I can get two seats together, a window and an aisle. Makes coach more tolerable.
I doubt that. Continental ceased to exist after its 2010 merger with United. So it will be really easy for you to avoid them in the future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel