U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2014, 10:49 AM

42,663 posts, read 74,401,000 times

Advertisements

At my Drug Store, there is a tape on the floor, and a sign that says "Please wait behind this line until you are called to the window". Everyone complies, and does as they are told.

Why don't airports put a similar tape on the floor, and a sign asking people to wait behind the line, until they see their baggage on the conveyor? How simple!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2014, 11:00 AM

3,161 posts, read 8,106,375 times
I don't really mind the carousel. Everyone crowds where the bags come out...so I stand back further from the crowd, as I don't need to save 30 seconds by standing with the mass of people. If you get away from that bag drop area, it is quite civilized with lots of elbow room!

Old 04-11-2014, 11:01 AM

13,108 posts, read 24,929,887 times
Because many people have to get up close and actually quickly look at luggage tag as so much luggage looks exactly the same.

I tie colored ribbons on mine so I can pick mine out against a sea of black luggage

Old 04-11-2014, 11:29 AM

6,168 posts, read 6,337,705 times
Actually many places have a keep behind line at their baggage carousels. However it does not do any good as most people simply choose to ignore it.

Many years ago I worked for a company that handled a charter passenger flight once a week from MSP. For several years the flight would arrive at the domestic terminal. However that was always a problem as the domestic terminal did not have enough space for the scheduled airlines. So the charter was moved over to the international terminal. Since the international terminal was not designed for domestic flights, the airport authorities made a makeshift domestic bag carousel. The bags had to be removed from the carousel before completing a complete circle. This would have not been a problem if there were only 10 or 20 passenger. However this charter always had 360 passengers. It was quite the sight to see 360 people try to squeeze into an area not much bigger than a 2 car garage.

Old 04-11-2014, 11:41 AM

6,168 posts, read 6,337,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
I tie colored ribbons on mine so I can pick mine out against a sea of black luggage
Years ago when I worked in an airline baggage room the black soft side suitcase was just becoming common. Every now and then we would get a passenger with an attitude checking in. Once a rather rude passenger made a point to point out they had tied several ribbons of different colors to their bags so that they could find their bags faster. It just so happened we had ribbons in every color the passenger had used. We put the exact same combination of colored ribbons on every black soft side bag that was checked in. I would have loved to see the passenger's face when the bags came out on the carousel.

Old 04-11-2014, 11:55 AM

13,108 posts, read 24,929,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Mutt View Post
Years ago when I worked in an airline baggage room the black soft side suitcase was just becoming common. Every now and then we would get a passenger with an attitude checking in. Once a rather rude passenger made a point to point out they had tied several ribbons of different colors to their bags so that they could find their bags faster. It just so happened we had ribbons in every color the passenger had used. We put the exact same combination of colored ribbons on every black soft side bag that was checked in. I would have loved to see the passenger's face when the bags came out on the carousel.
I only use one color ribbon, and a ribbon that's unique so I know it's mine. Some people go into panic mode if they see someone else touching their luggage if only to double check the luggage tag to make sure it's theirs.
I never bring it to the baggage handlers attention,,why would he/she even care...lol

Old 04-11-2014, 12:03 PM

7,281 posts, read 8,899,792 times
The etiquette for baggage carousels varies with the culture of the individuals waiting to get their baggage. Signs don't do much good unless you have them in many different languages or broadcast them in the same.

See your bag? Reach in, grab it and get out of the way.

Old 04-11-2014, 12:06 PM

180 posts, read 214,610 times
It's especially difficult if you have a young child with you who insists on trying to be helpful and of course merely crowds the way, especially when they really aren't able to get the bags off the cart. I think a more productive sign would be warning for all children under age 13 or something to keep back.

Old 04-11-2014, 12:16 PM

5,574 posts, read 5,851,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Why don't airports put a similar tape on the floor, and a sign asking people to wait behind the line, until they see their baggage on the conveyor? How simple!
When you've got a few hundred folks milling around (especially since some airports will overlap flights using a given carousel), no one can see a tape line on the floor or a little sign. It would really be fighting a losing battle.

Old 04-11-2014, 01:08 PM

218 posts, read 276,731 times
I don't see it as an issue. Most people utilize common sense and spread out enough to where no one is blocked out from having easy access to checking/picking up their luggage.

Thankfully, my pieces of luggage are very unique looking but I always see bags on any flight that look similar.

Some international airports have employees just grab every single bag off the carousel, line up all the bags for folks to easily grab them and get on their way to customs. But I can see where that may encourage stealing.

The only pet peeve I have is when you have a kid, or a weak elderly person, having trouble lifting their bag off the carousel and no one wants to help them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel