U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2014, 09:56 AM

34,374 posts, read 41,463,803 times

Advertisements

Just dont park where the trucks are supposed to park..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2014, 10:25 AM

858 posts, read 950,336 times
It may sound ridiculous but here in CT there are signs in at least some rest area parking lots that state "No Sleeping in Cars". My wife once pulled over for a nap in a smaller rest area, on a highway where commercial vehicles are not allowed (Merit Parkway) and was roused by a police officer that told her that it wasn't safe to sleep in a car and it was not allowed.

She explained that it was a better option than falling asleep behind the wheel and he agreed and said nonetheless, it wasn't allowed. He said, Stretch your legs, wake up a little and go find a motel to sleep in.

Rest areas indeed!

Old 04-12-2014, 11:00 AM

8,792 posts, read 5,655,771 times
Unfortunately, most of the time when you try this it is either way too hot, or way too cold to actually sleep and I would never leave the engine running while doing so.

If it is temperate and I am traveling with friends, I will ask them to give me 2o minutes while they walk around and take a bathroom break or get coffee and I will snooze. That is usually enough time for me to recharge so I can do another 400 miles or so.

Old 04-12-2014, 11:04 AM

8,792 posts, read 5,655,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catdancer View Post
It may sound ridiculous but here in CT there are signs in at least some rest area parking lots that state "No Sleeping in Cars". My wife once pulled over for a nap in a smaller rest area, on a highway where commercial vehicles are not allowed (Merit Parkway) and was roused by a police officer that told her that it wasn't safe to sleep in a car and it was not allowed.

She explained that it was a better option than falling asleep behind the wheel and he agreed and said nonetheless, it wasn't allowed. He said, Stretch your legs, wake up a little and go find a motel to sleep in.

Rest areas indeed!
Side note...

My pop used to pull off the road to find a secluded place to park his Cadillac and snooze. Most cops would leave him alone because they knew there was not motel we could go to - every once in a while some would harass him... Fortunately things have improved. But I never thought about or realized why he was doing this when I was a kid and learned from him to do the long haul without needing a motel.

Old 04-12-2014, 01:25 PM

1,266 posts, read 1,524,630 times
I have taken daytime naps (never overnight or after dark) at those big convenience/travel station/restaurant/gas station/truck stop type of places along the interstate. No problems. There's a pretty nice one in southern Kansas along I-35. I would rather nap at a place like this than a roadside rest area.

Old 04-12-2014, 01:43 PM

11,256 posts, read 43,395,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
What small town hotel prices have risen rapidly?
LOL ...

you haven't seen what happens in the winter months when the main interstate highways are closed due to weather conditions on short notice in the Rocky Mountain region.

the normally discounted room rates can rise to rack rates in a matter of minutes, and can sometimes reach multiples of that if it looks like the place will sell out quickly. Not uncommon for the small towns along the I-80 corridor to sell out in an hour or two, especially if interstate truckers have been pulling off the road in a town with comfortable accomodations, food, and entertainment rather than just finding a one stop sign town to get a room to wait out the storm.

Old 04-12-2014, 03:01 PM

16,598 posts, read 14,072,956 times
Truck stops are decidedly not dangerous. Go inside by something, have a quick bite, leave a good tip, and point out your car to the waitress, and ask her to keep an eye out. I have slept in them repeatedly, alone and as a woman. I used to lay flat the back seat of my SUV and zonk out. Cheap, safe, and quick.

Old 04-12-2014, 03:41 PM
Status: "could've~would've~should've used 'have', not 'of'" (set 18 days ago)

10,475 posts, read 14,316,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catdancer View Post
It may sound ridiculous but here in CT there are signs in at least some rest area parking lots that state "No Sleeping in Cars".
That has been similar to my experience traveling around the mid-south and gulf coast area too, for quite a number of years now. Although I think mostly it's "No overnight parking" because I have taken catnaps during the day without being hassled.
If I needed to overnight and had no money for a room I'd much rather go to a busy 24 hour store or truck stop.

Old 04-12-2014, 03:44 PM

6,235 posts, read 5,900,004 times
Must be saving money for the lot lizards!

Old 04-12-2014, 04:36 PM

43 posts, read 46,598 times
Or trying to avoid bedbugs from cheap motels!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or