U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2014, 04:38 PM

15,847 posts, read 30,341,628 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
What has been your experience with spending the nights at truck stops rather than a hotel? Especially in small towns / freeway intersections?

With the price of hotel rooms having risen rapidly, I'm sure this option is chosen by at least some domestic road-trippers looking to economize, especially those traveling solo.
I get a hotel. I drive about 400 miles and then I stop for a nice meal a hot bath and a good long snooze. It's part of the fun of traveling. I'd feel deprived if I had to sleep in a rest stop. Too many weirdos anyway and it's a hassle to get out and pee.

20yrsinBranson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2014, 04:46 PM

42,663 posts, read 74,212,583 times
At least a hundred nights, maybe 200. Truck stops, logging roads, boat ramps, WalMarts, you name it. Sleep like a baby. Never been disturbed by anybody except the police/

Old 04-12-2014, 04:48 PM
eok

6,684 posts, read 3,167,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConradMan View Post
Or trying to avoid bedbugs from cheap motels!
The more expensive the motel, the more likely it has bedbugs. Because, people who stay in expensive motels, tend to travel more. How much they travel is what determines the odds they will bring bedbugs to the motel. Expensive motels near airports are the most likely to have bedbugs.

Old 04-12-2014, 04:54 PM

35,109 posts, read 40,193,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardvanderbosch View Post
Must be saving money for the lot lizards!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConradMan View Post
Or trying to avoid bedbugs from cheap motels!

If you work it out the right way you can get both a cheap lot lizard and bed bugs for the price of the lot lizard alone.

Old 04-12-2014, 05:49 PM

2,331 posts, read 2,637,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
If you work it out the right way you can get both a cheap lot lizard and bed bugs for the price of the lot lizard alone.
Or by picking the right spot in the lot, you'll have nothing but a great night's sleep!

Old 04-12-2014, 06:44 PM

12,223 posts, read 12,483,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Mutt View Post
Many times I have pulled into a truck stop to take a nap. Most of the time it is only 20 minutes or so. Once in a while I might nap for a couple hours. I have never felt unsafe doing this. As to spending the entire night sleeping in my car, I have never done that. When I am ready to call it a day I prefer to sleep in a real bed.
Ditto. I'm a bit narcoleptic, so when my eyelids get heavy it's time for me to get off the road. I just pull in to a rest area or truck stop, recline the seat and conk out, with the doors locked of course. 20 minutes to 2 hours is all I need to restore my alertness, and I get back on the road.

If I really have to travel cheap I take my pickup, put the canopy on the back and put an air mattress back there. It's comfy enough, as long as the truck isn't in direct sunlight or the weather extremely cold.

Old 04-12-2014, 06:50 PM

12,223 posts, read 12,483,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TotallyTam View Post
I have taken daytime naps (never overnight or after dark) at those big convenience/travel station/restaurant/gas station/truck stop type of places along the interstate. No problems. There's a pretty nice one in southern Kansas along I-35. I would rather nap at a place like this than a roadside rest area.
The nice thing about truck stops is that you can get a shower and a meal, which is really refreshing. Showers are free for truckers fueling, but cost a few bucks for the general public. It's still a good deal, and you don't arrive at your destination smelling like an old goat.

Old 04-12-2014, 07:14 PM

7,402 posts, read 12,935,643 times
Larry, if you want a safe place to sleep in your car find a campground close by. I hadn't thought of this but met a man who said that's the way he traveled. Kept a pillow and blanket in the back seat floorboard. Pay his camping fees ($18 in Ky) get a good night's sleep, take a hot shower at the campgroud bath house then stop down the road for a good breakfast. KOA Kampgrounds are always right by interstates so you could be in and out in no time.

Old 04-12-2014, 07:15 PM

18,340 posts, read 23,506,172 times
i use them often, never been bothered, put some earbuds in your ears, and doze off to your fav music...

Old 04-12-2014, 08:23 PM

1,265 posts, read 1,565,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
The nice thing about truck stops is that you can get a shower and a meal, which is really refreshing. Showers are free for truckers fueling, but cost a few bucks for the general public. It's still a good deal, and you don't arrive at your destination smelling like an old goat.
Drive a truck myself. The showers went up.. realhigh. They ask 12 bucks. A few dollars more get you a cheap motel in some places.

I never sleep at a truck stop, but rather at the customer in the dock, or just some quiet place

The lot lizzards are a thing of the past, thank God, and running the engine of a car all night won;t hurt it a bit.

But I would take a motel room, like super 8, they are not bad. going cross country might cost you 3 nights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or