U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-13-2014, 08:13 AM
 
Location: Houston, TX
14,684 posts, read 8,472,440 times
Reputation: 29359

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catdancer View Post
It may sound ridiculous but here in CT there are signs in at least some rest area parking lots that state "No Sleeping in Cars". My wife once pulled over for a nap in a smaller rest area, on a highway where commercial vehicles are not allowed (Merit Parkway) and was roused by a police officer that told her that it wasn't safe to sleep in a car and it was not allowed.

She explained that it was a better option than falling asleep behind the wheel and he agreed and said nonetheless, it wasn't allowed. He said, Stretch your legs, wake up a little and go find a motel to sleep in.

Rest areas indeed!
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Yet there are rest areas that allow and even encourage sleeping, one large rest area I went to had a area for that-- you're not supposed to stay over 8 hours though. Truck drivers now are supposed to pull over and rest every so often.
That's a great idea. Chronic insomnia is my problem, and sometimes long solo drives are a necessity. Because of this issue, if I don't take naps occasionally, I risk falling asleep at the wheel and crashing. I don't care what a $%&@$ sign says, I will sleep in the car over risking my safety and that of people in other vehicles All it takes for me to be a fine driver again is a 15 minute snooze.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-13-2014, 12:50 PM
 
Location: Between West Chester and Chester, PA
2,597 posts, read 2,300,121 times
Reputation: 4429
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
What has been your experience with spending the nights at truck stops rather than a hotel? Especially in small towns / freeway intersections?

With the price of hotel rooms having risen rapidly, I'm sure this option is chosen by at least some domestic road-trippers looking to economize, especially those traveling solo.
I've done both. Stay away from the hotels next to the truck stops. They tend to be havens for drug activity and prostitution.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-13-2014, 03:16 PM
 
1,344 posts, read 1,005,292 times
Reputation: 3171
I know a guy who travels in an old, restored hearse. He says when tired, he'll just pull into the nearest graveyard for a nap. No one has bothered him yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-14-2014, 07:12 PM
 
Location: Nebraska
1,886 posts, read 2,297,215 times
Reputation: 5321
I drove a semi over the road for a year. In all that time I never had a problem at a truck stop. However, I knew the truck stops to stay away from. The bad ones were the truck stops in large cities. The truck stops away from the cities were fine. Rest stops are another matter. If I was traveling by car, I would avoid sleeping at rest stops.

The truck stops always had cars and RV's parked over night and I never heard of a problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-19-2014, 08:25 AM
 
Location: North Dakota
7,721 posts, read 9,018,166 times
Reputation: 11083
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
What has been your experience with spending the nights at truck stops rather than a hotel? Especially in small towns / freeway intersections?

With the price of hotel rooms having risen rapidly, I'm sure this option is chosen by at least some domestic road-trippers looking to economize, especially those traveling solo.
I wouldn't travel on that tight of a budget unless I had an urgent need to get somewhere. I would book a hotel in advance. I've never stayed in one of these, but maybe a campground like a KOA with tent sites could be an option cheaper than a motel. You would still have shower and laundry facilities at a place like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-20-2014, 06:01 AM
 
20,793 posts, read 53,962,236 times
Reputation: 10530
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoEagle View Post
I wouldn't travel on that tight of a budget unless I had an urgent need to get somewhere. I would book a hotel in advance. I've never stayed in one of these, but maybe a campground like a KOA with tent sites could be an option cheaper than a motel. You would still have shower and laundry facilities at a place like that.
Most truck stops have shower facilities and its easy enough to find a laundromat. Some of the larger truck stops do have laundry as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-20-2014, 09:33 PM
 
2,563 posts, read 2,788,261 times
Reputation: 3479
If you ask me, it's better than falling asleep while driving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-21-2014, 11:21 AM
 
Location: northwest Illinois
2,331 posts, read 2,637,893 times
Reputation: 2433
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Most truck stops have shower facilities and its easy enough to find a laundromat. Some of the larger truck stops do have laundry as well.
Very true, since I've used those facilities. I'm a good fan of Road Ranger's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-25-2014, 09:27 AM
 
Location: Long Island, NY
1,686 posts, read 2,055,914 times
Reputation: 2127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catdancer View Post
It may sound ridiculous but here in CT there are signs in at least some rest area parking lots that state "No Sleeping in Cars". My wife once pulled over for a nap in a smaller rest area, on a highway where commercial vehicles are not allowed (Merit Parkway) and was roused by a police officer that told her that it wasn't safe to sleep in a car and it was not allowed.

She explained that it was a better option than falling asleep behind the wheel and he agreed and said nonetheless, it wasn't allowed. He said, Stretch your legs, wake up a little and go find a motel to sleep in.

Rest areas indeed!
That is frigging ridiculous. If it is not safe to sleep in your car at a dedicated "rest stop,״ then the police or other authorities need to make it safe! How stupid!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-25-2014, 11:45 AM
 
Location: Down the rabbit hole
858 posts, read 949,735 times
Reputation: 2704
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaser199 View Post
That is frigging ridiculous. If it is not safe to sleep in your car at a dedicated "rest stop,״ then the police or other authorities need to make it safe! How stupid!
Yup....well, that's Connecticut for ya. I once removed my seat belt while driving down the highway so I could get something from my back pocket. As I was doing this, I was passed by a state trooper who flashed his lights and pointed for me to pull over. So we sat on the narrow shoulder of I-95 with cars zooming past, literally inches away as he lectured me about the dangers of removing my seat belt in a moving vehicle.

Talking about rest areas, I get a charge out of the ones in Maine. Just a pull off into a grassy area with no buildings or rest room facilities. You can almost hear the Mainers saying, "Ayuh, it says REST area....not bathroom area"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top