U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2014, 05:31 PM

2,702 posts, read 3,736,488 times

Advertisements

Truck stops more or less are shady places that I would NEVER sleep in my car overnight....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2014, 05:36 PM

2,331 posts, read 2,637,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCpl2 View Post
Truck stops more or less are shady places that I would NEVER sleep in my car overnight....
You have several million pounds of trucks all around you at night, lighted parking lots, and locks on your vehicle right?? WHY would you be scared, unless you're female?

Old 04-26-2014, 12:07 AM

2,702 posts, read 3,736,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest61021 View Post
You have several million pounds of trucks all around you at night, lighted parking lots, and locks on your vehicle right?? WHY would you be scared, unless you're female?
Definitely not female and having been to tons of truck stops across the US you would really be surprised what goes on at them.. Most of them have the area where you park the trucks and then there are other public areas to park your car...

If you can think of any type of bad activity to do that is usually what you find at a truck stop.. ESPECIALLY overnight....

Have been to truck stops where people have been killed, beaten, set on fire, etc

So I would either not venture out if I had to stay in my car at a truck stop or pay for a motel...

Old 04-26-2014, 04:46 PM

4,760 posts, read 3,187,386 times
A long time ago, we took a trip across country. It was in the middle of the summer and we had a car without A/C so we drove across the dessert at night. My husband (who did all the driving), grew tired at one point and we decided to pull into a truck stop to catch a few winks. Needless to say, neither one of us could fall asleep even though we were both tired. Between the lights of the parking lot, the noise, & just trying to get comfortable in the car, well it just didn't work. After trying for about 10-15 minutes, we decided to go inside, and get caffeinated up & hit the road again. Even though we didn't actually sleep, we did get some rest so we were able to go on.

Cat

Old 04-26-2014, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCpl2 View Post
Definitely not female and having been to tons of truck stops across the US you would really be surprised what goes on at them.. Most of them have the area where you park the trucks and then there are other public areas to park your car...

If you can think of any type of bad activity to do that is usually what you find at a truck stop.. ESPECIALLY overnight....

Have been to truck stops where people have been killed, beaten, set on fire, etc

So I would either not venture out if I had to stay in my car at a truck stop or pay for a motel...
I'm not surprised as I've spent plenty of nights at them with no problems and no fear, I'm also legal to carry a weapon and a seasoned vet.

Old 04-26-2014, 05:41 PM

17,032 posts, read 26,860,426 times
I've pulled over at many truck stops for a catnap. Hard to get good sleep but 20 minutes to 2 hours off the road is good. Usually they have hot coffee too. Never used showers though.
Have also stayed in WalMart lots or other well lit spots. Mixed feelings on rest stops. Never had an issue but I don't stop if I'm the only car.

Old 04-26-2014, 08:40 PM

14,253 posts, read 23,969,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
I've pulled over at many truck stops for a catnap. Hard to get good sleep but 20 minutes to 2 hours off the road is good. Usually they have hot coffee too. Never used showers though.
Have also stayed in WalMart lots or other well lit spots. Mixed feelings on rest stops. Never had an issue but I don't stop if I'm the only car.

Walmart is OK, I guess. I prefer hospital parking lots as they are quiet, well patrolled, and the security knows that people sometimes sleep in their cars when family members are in the hospital.

Old 04-26-2014, 09:53 PM

607 posts, read 1,167,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bagster View Post
I know a guy who travels in an old, restored hearse. He says when tired, he'll just pull into the nearest graveyard for a nap. No one has bothered him yet.
Brilliant!

Old 04-26-2014, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Walmart is OK, I guess. I prefer hospital parking lots as they are quiet, well patrolled, and the security knows that people sometimes sleep in their cars when family members are in the hospital.
This is a great point, since I once had spent 2 days periodically in my truck at the hospital when a co-worker I knew well, was injured by a pressure valve bursting. Not once was I bothered when napping, but someone knew I was out there, because there was hot coffee and a meal left for me, in my buddy's room.

Old 04-27-2014, 10:44 PM

1,871 posts, read 1,665,158 times
One summer I was traveling cross country to visit some extended family and check out potential grad schools and I was having trouble finding a hotel room one place in Wyoming wanted over 350 dollars for one night or most were sold out. I kept driving through the night and got really tired so I finally pulled into one of those truck pull offs, not a truck stop but a highway pull off meant for trucks and parked my car blocked the windows and attempted to sleep in my car unsuccessfully. I was exhausted and then was stopping through the day taking naps and various rest stops. I don't think I will ever do that again. Might have been better if I had a mattress in the bed of my truck. Never again because you are tired the next day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or