Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2014, 05:47 PM

3,497 posts, read 2,663,404 times

Advertisements

What a bunch of drama queens commenting here. The only danger you will confront while sleeping at a truck stop is terrible pain in your back from sleeping in your car. However, if you own one of those big rigs with a sleeper, you will sleep like a baby.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2014, 07:32 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,391,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordlover View Post
So what is the statistical spread here?

If you stay in a super8, is there a guarantee that nothing bad will happen to you? Vs. sleeping in your car = certain death?

I've only slept at a rest stop once, pulling an RV and slept in the RV. Amazingly morning came, I woke up, looked over the vehicle, got in and drove on...no drama involved.
In a hotel, there are 200 OTHER rooms that something bad could happen to.

In your car, there's only one room unless you plan on sleeping in the trunk.

Old 08-14-2014, 08:20 AM

3,111 posts, read 8,055,172 times
I sleep overnight in truck stops in my car when driving long distances, instead of paying for a motel. I've never been bothered. I put a sun screen on the windshield, recline the driver's seat back, and have a blanket. The windows on my car are also tinted. There was always at least a few other cars or vans doing the same thing.

I would much prefer to sleep at a truck stop than a rest stop. Rest stops in the night time remind me of a horror movie.

Old 08-17-2014, 04:47 PM

3,376 posts, read 6,106,218 times
Having driven over-the-road in a semi, I always used to see plenty of small cars that would occasionally duck out between the trucks that parked in the back row.
They wouldn't bother us and we wouldn't bother them.
Not to mention relatively clean showers and hot food before or after you stop or go.

Old 11-07-2016, 10:42 AM

1 posts, read 855 times
Default Tried many places...

I do a lot of travelling and it's mostly just me in the car. I've been to many rest stops, a couple truck stops, a Wal-Mart or two, hotel parking lot and a parking garage at a hospital. Never have I had any problems at any of the locations.

I have pulled into a Rest Stop and it just didn't feel right. There were no trucks, very few cars and dark. I kept on driving and found a crowded hotel and crashed in a corner of their lot.

I felt very safe in the Hospital parking garage. 1. it cost $3.00 to use the garage, so you're not getting random people just driving through. 2. Drove up to roof top level to get away from all the bright lights that are on the various levels. 3. It's not uncommon for someone to get some rest in their car while they have someone in the hospital for a serious treatment that takes a long time.

Old 11-07-2016, 12:29 PM

4,852 posts, read 3,647,187 times
Default Truck stops

Quote:
Originally Posted by txfriend View Post
What a bunch of drama queens commenting here. The only danger you will confront while sleeping at a truck stop is terrible pain in your back from sleeping in your car. However, if you own one of those big rigs with a sleeper, you will sleep like a baby.
My son is an OTR truck and he tipped me off to this. I have no issue sleeping in truck stops. Truckers are generally very sweet people.

Buy one of them a cuppa coffee. Might be my kid.

Old 11-07-2016, 12:30 PM

4,852 posts, read 3,647,187 times
Default Sleeping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandalorian View Post
The title of this thread sounds like a good way to get murdered or carjacked.

Is your life really worth $40 for the Super8????
No bedbugs in my SUV!! And I save $40.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel